URGENT~ AKG k702 | SPL Auditor or Braham Solo Ultra linear?
May 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

psun786

Head-Fier
[size=10pt]I have been using Fiio E7/E9 combo to drive AKG k702 for couple month and is looking for an upgrade. [/size][size=10pt]The source files are 24bit/96 via an independent desktop DAC. [/size]

[size=10pt]The candidates are SPL auditor and Braham Slee Solo ultra-linear. So far I am shifting toward Solo as the sound is more natural and musical. [/size][size=10pt]While SPL does have better soundstage, resolution and more accurate representation, the sound can be boring for many genres. But it does sound amazing with symphonies. [/size]

[size=10pt]My only worry with the Solo UL + k702 combo is the “toppy” treble or high being too bright. Many reported non-UL version of Solo doesn’t pair well with k701 (flat mids and bright highs) but it has been fixed with UL version. Since k702 sounds more clinical than k701, I was wondering if the “toppy” treble exists on UL version + k702 combo or not.[/size]

[size=10pt]Or if you know any other good headphone amp for k702 that is under $1000. SAC K1000 is out of question as it sounds fat. Sorry being so picky…. but finding the right amp for k702 is a PITA, especially with my budget ><.[/size]

[size=medium]I have to decide within the next few days or no amp for at least 2~3 months. [/size]

May 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi,

Firstly, the K702 and K701 sound the exact same. The only difference is the detachable cable on the K702. Secondly the Auditor is a horrid amp for the K701 and K702. It makes the sound muddled and a tad ill defined.

The Graham Slee Solo seems to be a good match for them, but I am not familiar with the amp.

I can recommend a few amps: Musical Fidelity M1HPA, Violectric HPA V200, and Heed Canamp. The M1HPA is pretty musical and warm with great detail and resolution. The V200 is even warmer with a smoother sound and more upfront bass. The Canamp is a more neutral version of the M1HPA to my ears but adds a bit of "sweetness" to the sound. Both are great amps but my vote goes to the V200. It drives the K70* extremely well.

May 19, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi,

Firstly, the K702 and K701 sound the exact same. The only difference is the detachable cable on the K702. Secondly the Auditor is a horrid amp for the K701 and K702. It makes the sound muddled and a tad ill defined.

The Graham Slee Solo seems to be a good match for them, but I am not familiar with the amp.

I can recommend a few amps: Musical Fidelity M1HPA, Violectric HPA V200, and Heed Canamp. The M1HPA is pretty musical and warm with great detail and resolution. The V200 is even warmer with a smoother sound and more upfront bass. The Canamp is a more neutral version of the M1HPA to my ears but adds a bit of "sweetness" to the sound. Both are great amps but my vote goes to the V200. It drives the K70* extremely well.

[size=10pt]I really appreciate your response and agree SPL may not be a good amp for music appreciation. It takes too much energy to keep up with the combo where listening become a burden than enjoyment.[/size]

[size=10pt]Personally, I find k701 to be more musical than k702 and has better mids & less harsh treble. The female vocal on k701 sounds much smoother than k702. But clearly k702 has an upper hand when it comes to instruments, especially better separation when various instruments are played simultaneously. I remember someone did dissect on both and reported different diaphragm. [/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]In my session with k702 + Solo SRGII and k701 + Solo SRGII, I can clearly tell the difference. k701 has bright treble but nothing like k702, where the treble become so harsh that I can’t say they are compatible. I know Solo Ultra Linear version improved the brightness on k702 but I don’t if this apply to k702 as well? Unfortunately, the store I visited doesn’t have UL version for me to try so[/size][size=10pt] I have rely on members here who owns this combo (Graham Slee Ultra Linear + AKG 702) for inputs.[/size][size=10pt] I also emailed Braham Slee and hope they can give me a definite answer. The best sounded amp I tried with k702 in the store is RKV MK II, unfortunately the price tag is out of my budget. [/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]I heard my good things about M1HPA and glad to know you really liked yours. Many said it has softer treble which I think may buffer k702’s treble a bit. Now, how is the bass performance on M1HPA + k702 combo? [/size][size=10pt]But some said M1HPA doesn’t go well with HD650 in term of bass authority (muddy). How is bass extension on m1hpa+k702?[/size][size=10pt][/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back