URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Jul 8, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #871 of 1,184
That’s what I thought, that the white box versions are only with the beryllium drivers. It definitely is a true bass head IEM. If I were to have a noble metal version, I don’t think I could tolerate the bass on the beryllium ones.

Agreed. I know probably the majority of people are NOT bassheads; especially audiophiles. The reason why the black box beryllium UF is so special is because it IS one of the few basshead IEMs that still has a clean sound instead of a boosted bloated mess.

Some people forget that BGGR IS a basshead. I assume that’s one of the reasons why he likes the beryllium UF so much. But for those audiophiles that just want to sit down and enjoy some Chopin or Tchaikovsky; well they aren’t going to like the beryllium UF at all.

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #872 of 1,184
Received white box version from Amazon today, I had some cut outs in sound so I switched the cable to the one that came with the Semkarch that I wasn't using. Problem solved, I hate this crappy CNT1 cable but it works correctly so whatever. QC on this IEM is pretty hilarious though, my left side has red on the inside mmcx and right has blue (lol). They sound great though, still need some more time with them.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #873 of 1,184
Ok, so interestingly on a very unknown channel, I stumbled upon the unboxing of the new white box version and to my surprise I saw a comment that seems like official statement from a urbanfun representative.

I replied to the comment and asked the person to head over this thread for actual feedback.

Seeing the comment on a very unpopular video really brought some hope as UF might be working on fixing thier bad brand reputation.

Video with the comment:
Screenshot_20200710-180714.png
Screenshot_20200710-180748.png

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #874 of 1,184
Ok, so interestingly on a very unknown channel, I stumbled upon the unboxing of the new white box version and to my surprise I saw a comment that seems like official statement from a urbanfun representative.

I replied to the comment and asked the person to head over this thread for actual feedback.

Seeing the comment on a very unpopular video really brought some hope as UF might be working on fixing thier bad brand reputation.

Video with the comment:

Apparently she's the COO of the company.
Screenshot_20200710-181748.png

Source:

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #875 of 1,184

Thanks for responding to her, and for letting us know. I think most of us want to cheer on a small company, that has a potentially great product. Them being transparent with us, the consumers, who also happen to be a very enthusiastic community, is key. I can only speak for myself, but I‘m not upset with the price increases in general. The problem is the quiet, seemingly underhanded way that the price keeps creeping up, while at the same time the obvious QC issues weren’t being definitely addressed. I was fortunate with my recent “white box” purchase, at it’s current retail price, but some others still seem to have not been. I think most people would ultimately be understanding if they came out and stated any manufacturing difficulties that they had that resulted in QC problems, how they were addressing them, stated any cost issues with the beryllium drivers, and told that they needed to raise the price and why.

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #876 of 1,184
I would recommend the UF over the Blon in a heartbeat if I knew for sure you'd get a good one but all newer ones (white box) have been reported as lemons so far if I am not mistaken.

Safest would be to try sourcing an older one with the black box and not change the cable I guess.
is there any difference between the white and the black box (even both of theme using beryllium driver) in term of sq specifically?

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #878 of 1,184
I really want to try the TRN T3 silver cable on the YBF, but I don’t dare remove the stock cable. Not worth the risk. I do like them a lot with SpinFit CP145s.

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #879 of 1,184
I really want to try the TRN T3 silver cable on the YBF, but I don’t dare remove the stock cable. Not worth the risk. I do like them a lot with SpinFit CP145s.
I think my left mmcx connection on the urbanfun started being very loose ("loose" as in gravity > connection lol) after I switched cables 3 times. So just one switch shouldnt be that dangerous :joy:

(I am using tape to secure it though)

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #881 of 1,184
Has it already been explained here? I must have missed it. I have the white box version and I'm enjoying it. I recall you saying you were waiting for the white box to arrive for you, I assume it did. Curious of the differences between bery white/black box.

Mine hasn’t arrived yet. I was going by the impressions mentioned in this thread (at least I am pretty sure it was in here). I’ll search around and see if I can find the posts

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #883 of 1,184
My white box UF YBF just arrived today. So far, it has been working well, w/o any obvious major QC problems. :fingers_crossed:

My initial impressions are, wow! The bass hits really hard. This is the closest to actually having a subwoofer in my head, that I’ve experienced thus far. The texturing of sounds is also impressive. The tuning seems to pretty much match Crinacle‘s graph, with the exception that the bass seems more potent than the graph would suggest. I will need to listen to them a lot more though.

Today’s haul.
AB9C0BC7-6E6B-4592-913F-4305B0A94D13.jpeg

40EDD7C9-6241-4F55-BAFE-880447E45B44.jpeg

One minor issue I noticed is that the right mesh is not installed very evenly, and has a few sharp metal ends sticking out. Hasn’t been a big deal though.
C7C5B5F5-BD7A-4EBA-9270-DEEA4BE91DB4.jpeg

I have received my pair in white box as well. So far, nothing negative has been detected. However, I'm a bit nervous to swap cables, with the older versions having connector issues. Have you swapped cables yet? If so, were there any issues with the connectors afterward?

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #884 of 1,184
I have received my pair in white box as well. So far, nothing negative has been detected. However, I'm a bit nervous to swap cables, with the older versions having connector issues. Have you swapped cables yet? If so, were there any issues with the connectors afterward?
So far, I haven’t dared to. I like the sound with the stock cables, so my curiosity has not overcome my fear of damaging the connectors.

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #885 of 1,184
So far, I haven’t dared to. I like the sound with the stock cables, so my curiosity has not overcome my fear of damaging the connectors.
These stock cables don't seem too bad, so I will use them for now. If any brave individuals in here happen to test different cables and report on the aftermath, I might be inclined to take the step. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back