URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 Impressions thread
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #842 of 1,184
I saw you mentioning earlier you got an IEC711 coupler, would you mind the share a graph showing both versions?

My beryllium one is modded, so unfortunately the results would be unreliable.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #844 of 1,184
Edit: Actually it seems they've added a thicker damper in the front-vent. I simply can't see through the filter when I point a mini flashlight at the front-vent in a dark room like I can with my old pair.

And the measurement shows a similar effect when I've covered the front-vent with blu-tac on my old pair, as it boosts both the sub-bass and mids by some dBs. (please check out the graph on my post here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/urbanfun-ybf-iss014-impressions-thread.921709/page-33#post-15550622).

That may explain the driver-flex the @chickenmoon experienced some pages ago.

After further investigation, it seems I've found a good proof for my claim that they've changed the front-vent damper.

damper.jpg

As you can see, my black box pair have a whiter damper and it doesn't have any driver-flex when I try to deep insert it. On the other hand, the new "fixed" ybf in the white box is using a darker one and it's prone to driver-flex when I deep insert it.

My guess is that the new damper doesn't release the pressure that well like the white one and it changes the tuning quite a bit bass-wise. I confess it's annoying comparing both with the sound cutting out, but I'm pretty sure the white box YBF's bass is looser compared to the old one.

Well, that's it, hoping for my refund and I'm gonna keep my old pair that sounds good. I won't bother more with this model.

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #847 of 1,184
My white box UF YBF just arrived today. So far, it has been working well, w/o any obvious major QC problems. :fingers_crossed:

My initial impressions are, wow! The bass hits really hard. This is the closest to actually having a subwoofer in my head, that I’ve experienced thus far. The texturing of sounds is also impressive. The tuning seems to pretty much match Crinacle‘s graph, with the exception that the bass seems more potent than the graph would suggest. I will need to listen to them a lot more though.

Today’s haul.
AB9C0BC7-6E6B-4592-913F-4305B0A94D13.jpeg

40EDD7C9-6241-4F55-BAFE-880447E45B44.jpeg

One minor issue I noticed is that the right mesh is not installed very evenly, and has a few sharp metal ends sticking out. Hasn’t been a big deal though.
C7C5B5F5-BD7A-4EBA-9270-DEEA4BE91DB4.jpeg

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #848 of 1,184
A bro sent me a pair of Urbanfuns to try out and within about 3 hours which is all i've had listening so far, wow! My brain instantly went, YEP! Good stuff especially since the price is right.

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #849 of 1,184
A bro sent me a pair of Urbanfuns to try out and within about 3 hours which is all i've had listening so far, wow! My brain instantly went, YEP! Good stuff especially since the price is right.
Too bad they can't get a hang on the QC.

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #850 of 1,184
Too bad they can't get a hang on the QC.
Yep. That just makes used purchases of well functioning samples that much more valuable, if anyone is ever willing to sell their well functioning UFs. Assuming you get a proper sample, the sound really is “fun”.

Edit: If it is available to you, purchasing through Amazon, where it is ”fulfilled by Amazon” would be best. That way you can exchange it easily if defective.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #852 of 1,184
My white box UF YBF just arrived today. So far, it has been working well, w/o any obvious major QC problems. :fingers_crossed:

My initial impressions are, wow! The bass hits really hard. This is the closest to actually having a subwoofer in my head, that I’ve experienced thus far. The texturing of sounds is also impressive. The tuning seems to pretty much match Crinacle‘s graph, with the exception that the bass seems more potent than the graph would suggest. I will need to listen to them a lot more though.

Today’s haul.
AB9C0BC7-6E6B-4592-913F-4305B0A94D13.jpeg

40EDD7C9-6241-4F55-BAFE-880447E45B44.jpeg

One minor issue I noticed is that the right mesh is not installed very evenly, and has a few sharp metal ends sticking out. Hasn’t been a big deal though.
C7C5B5F5-BD7A-4EBA-9270-DEEA4BE91DB4.jpeg
Thanks for the update. Good to hear there aren't any apparent QC issues. Does you unit have driver flex?

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #854 of 1,184
Thanks for the update. Good to hear there aren't any apparent QC issues. Does you unit have driver flex?
So far, I haven’t been able to induce any, and I tend to cause driver flex in most of my IEMs (especially left ear). Will need to see over time though.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #855 of 1,184
how this urbanfun compared to your new tin t2 plus. i dont where to buy either this uf or the t2 plus.
Very different. Neither is broken in (if you believe in it), and I can only give very early impressions. So far, the UrbanFun is my bass head IEM. I have never heard such powerful, percussive, rumbly, yet textured bass from any IEM before. It does infringe on the mids some though. The upper mids are boosted quite a bit to counteract the bass (I think), but as it remains balanced, I don’t find them to be shouty at all. This way, vocals (at least female) don’t get drowned out by the bass. The treble is clear and sparkly, but so far, it doesn’t sound as extended as the BL03, surprisingly. The graphs I looked at show a lot of upper treble response on the UFs, but there is probably so little information that high, so it’s not really noticeable (I think the limits of my hearing are around 15Hz to 15KHz).

The T2+ is more even, and not nearly as bombastic. The bass is a good level (maybe a bit too much mid bass for my tastes) and is articulate. It doesn’t smear the midrange. Vocals are very clear and lovely sounding, though not quite as sweet and rich as in the T2. Treble is very sparkly and well extended. Overall, this is a very well tuned all-purpose IEM. It is very detail rich, and so far, I haven’t really found any major weaknesses. The fit doesn’t agree with me that well, especially on the left, but it’s not a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back