Urbana Mini Meet 3/12 Featuring Strohmie's DIY CD-Player
Mar 13, 2005 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Born2bwire

25+ Member ;-)
Well, interesting story. I come downstairs at noon today and my roommate stops me and tells me that's someone at the door wanting me. I had no clue who it was and upon asking my roommate did not bother to invite him in so I was very surprised to find Billy standing outside. Especially surprised when the meet was supposed to be tomorrow. Still, not wanting to waste 5 hours worth of driving, I invited him in and was able to get Strohmie and Blue_Onion to stop by and hold an impromptu mini-meet.

Once again, Billy brought his Grados, HR-2 and G08 (MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm). I was able to listen to his broken-in 325i's and I have to admit, they were very lacking. I just got in some Stray Cat CD's from Japan (can't find any CD's of theirs in the US but damn, Japan had new pressings in 2001 and 2004) and I've got one of the albums in vinyl. The 325i's with the bowls had no bass. In fact, listening to the Stray Cat CD's (which are rather warm sounding), they sounded just like listening to the vinyl on my rig with my burned out cartridge (the cartridge is worn out, has no low end). I put on the flats a little later and it was a vast improvement but the 325i's just seemed to lack the detail and refinement of my HD650's. I just couldn't find a happy place with them. Billy was also digging his new RS-2's and they sounded a lot better to me. Not as lush and warm as the RS-1's, they fell in the middle between the 325's and RS-1's and sounded great with some of my albums.

The big thing at this meet was the unveiling of Strohmie's working DIY CD-Player. This thing sounded GOOD. Compared to the Meridian G08, it did not have as strong and defined low bass, but it's highs were not wanting. All in all, I found the player to be detailed, fast, and excellent sounding. It should be interesting to hear it if Strohmie is able to complete the second version of it (upsampling ooooooh...). Anyway, the whole thing was a blast since we spent most of the time hanging out and ended up just going off to Geovanti's for dinner.

Mar 13, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 11
Imagine my surprise when I opened up my e-mail at 2:30pm saying that Billy was in from Chicago. Scratched my head for a bit, then went on my way.
biggrin.gif

It was only the four of us (b2b, bhd, onion, myself) so it was just fun to hang out and listen. The boys got to see my one real problem with the CD player right now, which is getting the CD holder puck to stay steady when a CD is being loaded. Gotta find some better tape. The 60Hz noise that I was worried about with my home rig didn't show up with the HR-1, which means that the noise was coming through more from my receiver than the CD player itself. Not shocking, considering how old the receiver is.

Anywho, I agree with Phil that the 325i's were a bit lacking. Liked the RS headphones Billy brought, but I still think the HD650s are the next headphones buy. It might have been fun to do an extended, direct comparison between the G08 or 555ES (I think that's what Phil has) with my player, but I don't have the time to do so. Maybe once I build a second player, we'll see.

Had much fun, hope I'll be able to get to another Illinois (conspiracy) meet before I head back east.

Mar 13, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 11
I just got back from the drive, I am glad I have a k-40 f/r radar with the laser difuss cause I got hit by a cop laser twice..
Not once did I get pulled over so I guess it worked..hehe 90mph..lol

So I had a pretty easy drive there, mapquest gave me some "west" street that did not exsist...but I found his place pretty easily so that was good.

I am so sorry I messed up the days, but like I said who has headphone meets on a sunday? thats just invein by my standards..j/k
I have to thank b2b for not kicking me out and making me come back tomorrow, thank you that would have sucked..
I had a great time talking to strohmie and onion boy (his name is John, I think)
I learned alot about college life and how inportant food is to these guys.
I thought Onion was going to do a "Ray for Egg's" when his food wasent coming...haha. he was getting pretty nervous.
I also learned alot about sampling and other curve thingy's from B2B...
these guys are really smart.

Impressions (gear)

I got to play with b2b mg head alot today, never really gave one a listen before. I must say I was surpised at the sound, very musical and fun really. it did the grados good enough by my ears and the 650's sounded so sweet.
I understand these amps are known for there issues but for their price they arent bad at all really. Maybe it was the colored tube sound I liked but w/e it was it was fun..very enjoying and relaxing sound.

b2b's sony 555es cdp was also nice, I heard one before but it wasent matched with the rite cables and amp as b2b has done...
his entire setup was enjoying and fun, it had its warmth and detail one might need in this crazy cooky headfi world.

strohmie's DIY cd player...
omg I never thought I would actually see the day I hear or even see a diy cdp..
I couldnt beleive it would work, I mean who builds their own cd player's?

apparntly Strohmie does and he does it GOOD!
how good?

It easily wasited my old nad542 and other cdp's like the rega's and shanling t-100 I had listened to alot before. yes people it was that good, no b/s there.

I love the way it looked to, infact I would put it behind the shanling T-100/200 in terms of looks.
the T-100/200 is the hottest cdp I have ever witnessed but Strohmie took a different design towards it....simple...how simple?

imagine a black case, ontop you had the transport (t-100 style but no cover) and the front had ONLY a remote censor...thats it...no screen/display as of yet (Strohmie have never heard it with headphones till he brought it over, so there more work he has planned).

Really was a sweet player all around in sound, I had the hr-2 with the rs-2 and mit term3 interconnects (same as my setup but no g08) and I was impressed. it was a bit harsher then the g08, the full sound of the g08 wasent there...but it still was a damm smooth player..wow.
(I can't wait to hear it again, or esp the next cdp he has planned.)

what else? umm maybe I will remember more later, but for now my g08 calls me to set her up for tonight....

thank you guys, it was soooooo worth the drive!

Mar 13, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
And if anyone wanted to know, yes I saw Billy's tattoo, it does exist.

Yea, I got to see that too. And in an odd twist, I also got verification that eric343 was actually visiting the campus. I had a few near-misses in getting to meet him, which made me start to wonder whether Phil was making up the fact that Eric was staying at his house for the Engineering Open House.

Leave it to my forgetfulness (left my remote at Phil's) to finally get to meet him, at 12am when they had to wake up at 4am to get Eric to the airport.

Mar 13, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
I want to know what Eric looks like
frown.gif

...er...he's tall?
icon10.gif

Mar 13, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 11
Any pictures of the DIY CDP?

Mar 13, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Check out the meet impression thread from the last Seattle meet. If I'm not mistaken, there're couple of pics of Eric in there.

Wow, he IS very tall!

Too bad I didn't get to meet you Eric, hopefully next time... or even when you come here for school! =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Any pictures of the DIY CDP?

I don't think any of us took pictures, it was a pretty casual get-together, we pretty much just chilled, but next to headphones haha.

A big thank you to b2b for his patience in explaining ECE to me, strohmie for his incredible CDP, and (last, but certainly nowhere near least!) billy for treating us all to dinner
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 11
Heheh... yeah, I was a rather elusive target. See, I was going to hang out and listen a bit on Friday, but I went for breakfast and got stuck talking to students and ogling displays at EoH...

It was nice to put some faces to names, though. (even if I was in my underwear when I met bhd812...)

For the record, I'm 6'4" or 6'6" with my big boots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back