Uptone EtherREGEN
Jun 24, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #61 of 66
@shaitan667 you really need to find another thread to make your arguments. This thread should be about those who want to try out an EtherREGEN or own one and want to provide their experiences to others.

People like you come into threads quoting the science and often claiming to fully understand networking and yet the massive assumption you make is that the science is all fully understood and there is nothing left to discover... Well guess what, there are plenty of folks who have tried kit out and found they can hear a difference.

A friend of mine was in this camp until recently; he borrowed some expensive pieces of hardware and cables to plug into his Chord DAVE. Some kit (€10k+) didnt make much difference, it went back. Other kit and even things like USB cables, they actually made an audible and significant difference to his system. He bought that stuff, and it was maybe half the price of the expensive stuff. He cant explain why its better, doesn't match his experiences/understanding as an IT professional, but he can hear it...

I myself plugged an EE 8 Switch into my network and into a dCS Bartok. No idea why, but it sounded better...

My EtherREGEN arrives on Thursday and I will test that out as well. If it works, its stays, if not, it goes back... I will base my opinions of what i can clearly hear and not from what i have read and assume i understand...

How did the English Electric 8Switch fare against the EtherREGEN? Folks on the Naim forums love the 8Switch and many now use it and have sold their EtherREGENs.

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #62 of 66
I upgraded from the EtherRegen to the Synergistic Research Ethernet Switch UEF, mostly because I didn't want to take the next step and buy an external 10MHz clock to upgrade the performance of the ER. I have enough boxes and this helped me reduce my three box network setup down to one.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #63 of 66
I have it in my main setup. I hear an improvement for sure. Though, I have to use powerline Ethernet because my router is in a completely different part of my place. With that, I feel that the EtherRegen regenerates the Ethernet signal very well. Without the Ether Regen, my music sounds kind of grainy and harsh, in comparison.

Now, if I could connect directly to my router, I’m not sure the level of improvement I would get, whether it being the same or less. Other posters seem to like it though.

Also, I tried the etherregen with a linear power supply and then a regular one. The linear power supply maybe sounded a little better (and that could be placebo). UpTone says you don’t need to use a linear power supply, so I guess they weren’t lying
Are you still using a powerline at your place? Still using Etherregen?

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #64 of 66
Are you still using a powerline at your place? Still using Etherregen?
Still using the EtherRegen. Yes powerline unfortunately

Oct 11, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #65 of 66
Thread starter is not in headfi anymore?
-has not answered/replied since thread was created

Oct 11, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #66 of 66
So if I was to record the output with two different ethernet cables, one being a normal cat 6, and one being an audiophile grade ethernet cable, there would be a difference?
Say, I had a DAC hooked up via USB, and recorded the output, what would I be looking for to show improvement?
If you switch to fiber you might get a cheaper/better solution....before all the hifi brands puts there name on cheap network boxes and sell them for snakeoil prices.

In theory fiber should be superior in terms of audio atleast. I ordered this: I will try it out in the weekend
https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/cabl...rnet-vers-fibre-optique-la-paire-p-13759.html

(Ethernet cables are needed, but I will buy the shortest. But if the interfaces in both ends(PCIe and network switch/router) was fiber you do not need ethernet cables, which is most recommended in this regard)

My answer to the "drama" in this thread:
If the EARS is our judge, there should be audio files provided to the discussion, or else it is just an endless discussion of opinions and useless measurements anyway.

I have said it before I will record every bit of piece in my setup/chain and make the available to discussion on a single/multiple thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back