Uptone EtherREGEN
Feb 14, 2020 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Thieliste

New Head-Fier
Do some of you use the Uptone EtherREGEN in your headphone rig and how does it improve the sound coming from your router ?
I'm thinking of purchasing one to stick between my router and my dedicated fanless NUC/Daphile.
I mostly do Qobuz streaming.
P1090284_copy_1024x1024.jpg

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 66
I am also interested to know the answer to this question!

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 66
I have it in my main setup. I hear an improvement for sure. Though, I have to use powerline Ethernet because my router is in a completely different part of my place. With that, I feel that the EtherRegen regenerates the Ethernet signal very well. Without the Ether Regen, my music sounds kind of grainy and harsh, in comparison.

Now, if I could connect directly to my router, I’m not sure the level of improvement I would get, whether it being the same or less. Other posters seem to like it though.

Also, I tried the etherregen with a linear power supply and then a regular one. The linear power supply maybe sounded a little better (and that could be placebo). UpTone says you don’t need to use a linear power supply, so I guess they weren’t lying

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 66
I am also using the ER. The difference with and without is not night and day, but I prefer it in the system. The highs sound less harsh, more focused, and imaging is better with the ER. Also, I find the bass more textured. Overall the music sounds more pleasing and more "coherent" for lack of a better word.

I did read the ASR forum review and I decided to just buy and try, with the thought of sending it back if I didn't hear anything different. But I did, so it stays. I am using it with a LPS (keces p8).

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 66
Do some of you use the Uptone EtherREGEN in your headphone rig and how does it improve the sound coming from your router ?
I'm thinking of purchasing one to stick between my router and my dedicated fanless NUC/Daphile.
I mostly do Qobuz streaming.

I do and it’s very good, but any dedicated network switch with a good power supply will improve things considerable as opposed to running a cable directly from the router. Before splashing out you may want to try a netgear £40 unmanaged switch with and ifi ipower £50 psu. You might be surprised at the difference.

Are you using the Nuc as a streamer as well as a server?

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 66
This is an extremely controversial device on other forums, namely Audiophile Style (previously The Computer Audiophile) and Audio Science Review. I highly recommend you go to both sites and skim the numerous and long threads on the device.

I have an EtherRegen in my main high end speaker based system. In my opinion, the most value of the device is realized when it is placed between your computer and/or main network and a special purpose audio streaming endpoint or DAC. The primary purpose of the device is to clean up the signal and reduce electrical noise on the line would otherwise be injected into whatever device is on the receiving end. This device should be a specialty audio device or a computer heavily modified for low noise already (modified or different low noise power supply, optimized USB situation, and so on) however I would be very skeptical if it would have much (or as much) effect on a computer since general purpose computers are pretty electrically noisy anyways.

I noticed a difference when placing the EtherRegen between my Eero WiFi mesh node and my $40K MSB Reference DAC. Personally I would not waste the $700 on this device if you’re putting a computer on the receiving end. Use the money for an amp/headphone/cable upgrade instead.

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 66
This is an extremely controversial device on other forums, namely Audiophile Style (previously The Computer Audiophile) and Audio Science Review. I highly recommend you go to both sites and skim the numerous and long threads on the device.

I have an EtherRegen in my main high end speaker based system. In my opinion, the most value of the device is realized when it is placed between your computer and/or main network and a special purpose audio streaming endpoint or DAC. The primary purpose of the device is to clean up the signal and reduce electrical noise on the line would otherwise be injected into whatever device is on the receiving end. This device should be a specialty audio device or a computer heavily modified for low noise already (modified or different low noise power supply, optimized USB situation, and so on) however I would be very skeptical if it would have much (or as much) effect on a computer since general purpose computers are pretty electrically noisy anyways.

I noticed a difference when placing the EtherRegen between my Eero WiFi mesh node and my $40K MSB Reference DAC. Personally I would not waste the $700 on this device if you’re putting a computer on the receiving end. Use the money for an amp/headphone/cable upgrade instead.

I pretty much agree most the ethernet tweaking is best done if you're connecting to dedicated streamer/ amplifier streamer all-in-one of some sort, because unless you've done some serious work on your PC/Mac the noise from the ethernet will be the least of your worries. One first step worth trying if you havent already, is install dedicated switch for your hifi between the router and your source, nothing jazzy try a Netgear 8 port (£35) with an ifi ipower, then if you're getting an improvement with this you can start to move up the cost ladder, but demo everything on sale or return, then just trust your ears :)

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 66
I have it in my main setup. I hear an improvement for sure. Though, I have to use powerline Ethernet because my router is in a completely different part of my place. With that, I feel that the EtherRegen regenerates the Ethernet signal very well. Without the Ether Regen, my music sounds kind of grainy and harsh, in comparison.

Now, if I could connect directly to my router, I’m not sure the level of improvement I would get, whether it being the same or less. Other posters seem to like it though.

Also, I tried the etherregen with a linear power supply and then a regular one. The linear power supply maybe sounded a little better (and that could be placebo). UpTone says you don’t need to use a linear power supply, so I guess they weren’t lying
Where in your audio chain is the Regen? Between the Innuos and the network?

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 66
Where in your audio chain is the Regen? Between the Innuos and the network?
Yeah, network > ether regen > Innuos Zenith Mk3 > Innuos Phoenix > M-Scaler > Dave > Wa33

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 66
I’m on the fence for an upgraded Ethernet switch of some sort.
In my case it would be fitted between the router and a NUC10i7FNH acting as a player and feeding my Dave DAC over USB.
I use the Dave solely with headphones.

I have the same doubts regarding the real benefits I can get spending 700$ on an Ethernet switch to be placed upstream the computer.
Two reasons:
1) the Dave is notoriously immune (or so the designer claims) to jitter and EMI.
2) even if the NUC will powered by an audiophile linear power supply, it will undoubtedly introduce some level of noise

Unfortunately I can’t test the switch before buying as I couldn’t find any dealer here offering this service...

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 66
I’m on the fence for an upgraded Ethernet switch of some sort.
In my case it would be fitted between the router and a NUC10i7FNH acting as a player and feeding my Dave DAC over USB.
I use the Dave solely with headphones.

I have the same doubts regarding the real benefits I can get spending 700$ on an Ethernet switch to be placed upstream the computer.
Two reasons:
1) the Dave is notoriously immune (or so the designer claims) to jitter and EMI.
2) even if the NUC will powered by an audiophile linear power supply, it will undoubtedly introduce some level of noise

Unfortunately I can’t test the switch before buying as I couldn’t find any dealer here offering this service...

If you want to dip your toe seriously recommend trying a good generic switch like a netgear Gs108 for about £30 with an iFi I power 12v for £50. With your set up you should hear a significant difference just by doing this. Something like the etheregen could be a next step, it is very good and beats the SotM switch which is twice the price, but i would probably look at some sort of dedicated streamer in front of the NUC first. All USB bridge signature (again with an ifi psu) is one of the best players under £1K that i've heard. I use a nuc too, but they are noisy and having switch before them will improve this but it will always add its own mush in after that.

For what its worth i'd reccomend Router > dedicated switch for your nuc and streamer with PSU upgrade > streamer > DAC, with the best cables you have running the last metre between the the switch and streamer. With an amazing DAC like the DAVE you should hear big improvements. :)

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 66
Thanks a lot, I will give it a try.
There is a zillion GS108 versions on amazon, can you point me in the right direction with a link maybe?
And why does it have to be the 8 port and unmanaged?

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #13 of 66
If you're going to get the gs108, and then still be curious about the ER or SOtM switch... I would say just get the ER and try it out and then return it if you don't like it.

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #14 of 66
If you're going to get the gs108, and then still be curious about the ER or SOtM switch... I would say just get the ER and try it out and then return it if you don't like it.
I hate you. You’re the small devil me on my left shoulder and teknorob23 is the little angel me on my right one...

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #15 of 66
I hate you. You’re the small devil me on my left shoulder and teknorob23 is the little angel me on my right one...

Hahaha *wink

Try it out man. U won't regret it. And even if you don't like it, just return it.
Alex @ Uptone is a pleasure to talk to.
The only potential downside is, once u have it in your system, the next thing you will be thinking of is a linear power supply to hook up to the ER.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back