UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Mar 10, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #871 of 1,138

On that note without having to read 60 pages here what is the consensus on upgrading the power supply for it? Does it help and what one to use? (I'm not paying $900 for that one on the regen site).

Yes - it helps.  UpTone is near to announcing details on a new power supply that can be used for the Regen.  There is a decent chance it will be available later this spring.  If you are not in an absolute rush, it might be worth waiting until details on the technology / price for their new unit is out.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #872 of 1,138
Highly recommend the iFi iPower; it outperforms my Teradak X1/X2 LPS by a long shot, and it's only $50
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree the iPower is very good - I use one on my Wryd Remedy - at least equal to the bigger R-Core TeraDak DC-30W.  Just be careful on using a 9VDC iPower on the Regen - if your USB bridge takes it's power off the Regen's USB power leads (like my PUC2 Lite) it will likely overheat.  The quoted range on the Regen is 6-8VDC, so 9VDC is technically outside it's range - but may still work in some cases.  To bad iFi only makes a 5VDC and 9VDC version - they need a 7VDC as well.

The TeraDak DC-30W has adjustable voltage.

My iFi iPurifier2 and DC iPurifier have been on back order from Music Direct for a month - anybody know somebody whoi has them in stock in the US?

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #873 of 1,138

I agree the iPower is very good - I use one on my Wryd Remedy - at least equal to the bigger R-Core TeraDak DC-30W.  Just be careful on using a 9VDC iPower on the Regen - if your USB bridge takes it's power off the Regen's USB power leads (like my PUC2 Lite) it will likely overheat.  The quoted range on the Regen is 6-8VDC, so 9VDC is technically outside it's range - but may still work in some cases.  To bad iFi only makes a 5VDC and 9VDC version - they need a 7VDC as well.

My iFi iPurifier2 and DC iPurifier have been on back order from Music Direct for a month - anybody know somebody whoi has them in stock in the US?

Have you checked with Avatar Acoustics? They're the official US partner.

http://www.avataracoustics.com/home.html

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #875 of 1,138

Not to press anyone to throw caution to the wind, but this quote is taken directly from the official Uptone Regen page:

"use a nice linear if you want—in the range of 6-9V/1.5A is fine; or even 12V if you are certain that your DAC is not deriving much power from USB bus"

My DAC is indeed self-powered.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #876 of 1,138
Not to press anyone to throw caution to the wind, but this quote is taken directly from the official Uptone Regen page:

"use a nice linear if you want—in the range of 6-9V/1.5A is fine; or even 12V if you are certain that your DAC is not deriving much power from USB bus"

Yes, even if you have the rare DAC/HA that draws the full USB allowed 5V current limit of 500mA (0.5 amps), the 4 volt drop from 9V in to 5V out will only result in 2 watts of heat that the regulator and board have to dissipate.  That is more than the 1.25W being thrown off when using our supplied 7.5V PS, but it is still okay.  Very few of you have DACs drawing anywhere near 500mA, so you are quite safe to use a 9V supple with the REGEN (just make sure it is a REGULATED supply, not some random transformer/diode/cap brick).  

The REGEN does not draw much current but we chose the 2.93A/22W Mean Well because its greater output capacitance made it sound better than any of the other candidate warts and bricks we tried.  But I agree the iPower does sound better than our stock supply.  Nothing like a really great LPS, but very nice for the $49 price.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #877 of 1,138

What's a Wyrd Remedy?

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #879 of 1,138
Doing some A/B testing right now:

Headphones: Sennheiser HD650
Amplifier: Garage1217 Project Sunrise III with 6H6P-I tube
DAC #1: MHDT Atlantis w/ GE 5 Star 5670 White Triple Mica tube
DAC #2: MHDT Atlantis w/ GE 5 Star 5670 White Triple Mica tube connected via the UpTone Regen
Switcher: Schiit Sys
Software: JRiver with two zones outputting simultaneously in a bitperfect direct connection via linked zones

The tubes on the DACs are a matched pair and without the Regen, they are completely indistinguishable.

Both are using their stock (el cheapo) power and usb cables and blue jeans RCA cables.

I randomly connected the RCA connectors initially. The dacs are to the left of my computer and amp and switcher are to the right.

I was able to identify the DAC with the Regen within a few seconds of playing my test tracks. To verify I was correct, I pulled the left RCA channel out of the dac with the Regen plugged in and, sure enough, I lost sound out of the left ear.

It's cleaner with a blacker background. It seems to be most noticeable on higher resolution tracks, perhaps because my DACs are non-oversampling.

Additionally--and this is the objective part--inserting the Regen allows me to connect the Atlantis to my USB DAC-UP ports with no 5V power coming out of the computer. Without it in line, I can't connect.

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #880 of 1,138

Have you checked with Avatar Acoustics? They're the official US partner.

http://www.avataracoustics.com/home.html

Thanks!

No worries then.

What's a Wyrd Remedy?

Wyred For Sound Remedy is a S/PDIF reclocker - it uses the ultra low phase noise Cyrstek CCHD-957 clocks.  Working great on my heavily modded R2R DAC60.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/wyred/1.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/740362/lite-dac60-pcm1704-r2r-tubed-dac-mod-project

Nothing can be weirder then audio remedies!  Cheers
beyersmile.png

LOL!

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #881 of 1,138
Just wanted to check back in and say: the iPurifier2 definitely stacks nicely when fed into the Regen. I still don't understand why, but adding the iPurifier2 to the chain makes the sound richer and increases depth. Maybe I'm just nuts, but I've done enough listening to say that conclusively for my own setup and ears :)

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #882 of 1,138
Just wanted to check back in and say: the iPurifier2 definitely stacks nicely when fed into the Regen. I still don't understand why, but adding the iPurifier2 to the chain makes the sound richer and increases depth. Maybe I'm just nuts, but I've done enough listening to say that conclusively for my own setup and ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Good feedback - have you tried it after the Regen?

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #883 of 1,138
  Wyred For Sound Remedy is a S/PDIF reclocker - it uses the ultra low phase noise Cyrstek CCHD-957 clocks.  Working great on my heavily modded R2R DAC60.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/wyred/1.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/740362/lite-dac60-pcm1704-r2r-tubed-dac-mod-project

Oh, my bad. Thanks for links!

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #884 of 1,138
Good feedback - have you tried it after the Regen?
Yes, and as expected, I much prefered having the Regen after the iPurifier2.

I'll also note I get *slightly* better results with an iFi iUSB + Gemini feeding the iPurifier2. Maybe the purifier performs better when given cleaner power, as the Regen does with a superior PSU? Not worth the money for the small margin of improvement though, I'd say.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #885 of 1,138
Yes, and as expected, I much prefered having the Regen after the iPurifier2.

I'll also note I get *slightly* better results with an iFi iUSB + Gemini feeding the iPurifier2. Maybe the purifier performs better when given cleaner power, as the Regen does with a superior PSU? Not worth the money for the small margin of improvement though, I'd say.

I have a iFi USB waiting - it wasn't even close to the TeraDak DC-30W feeding the PUC2 lite without the Regen.  With the Regen fed by the DC-30W feeding the PUC2 Lite miles ahead.

Been waiting for the iPurifier2 to see how that in combination with the iFi USB2.0 compares.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back