UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Nov 3, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #557 of 1,138

Over on my Gustard U12 thread we had tired to build a DIY version of the ZPM.  Not easy to work with those UC's.  Difficult to design a charging circuit - at least according Alex - our resident design expert.

Audiobyte charges like $400 for the ZPM.

Yep. Vinnie's good at that stuff.

And speaking of welding, I think in Stereophile a while back they actually did take a 1000W amp and weld two pieces of metal together. Crazy. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #558 of 1,138
  Yep. Vinnie's good at that stuff.

And speaking of welding, I think in Stereophile a while back they actually did take a 1000W amp and weld two pieces of metal together. Crazy. 

LOL!  The absurdity of audio extremes!  Who would need a 1000 Watt Amp.  I visited a local stereo shop - a Krell dealer and he was delivering a pair of monster Krell mono blocks that needed a fork lift! 

Or Ted at SR and his 2 million volt Tesla coil!

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #559 of 1,138
did a lot fiddling with the chain; had the best luck with having the Regen at the beginning:

Audioquest Forest USB cable > Uptone USB Regen > iFi Mercury USB cable > > iFi iUSB > iFi Gemini Dual Headed Cable > iFi iPurifier > Xonar Essence One amp/DAC > JRiver (DSPs: Sonarworks calibration VST, Relife VST, 7.1 channel up mixing) + Jitterbug in adjacent USB port (using the JB in the chain only thins out the bass) > Sennheiser HD 800's.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #560 of 1,138
I would suggest that you remove the AQ Forest from the chain and try this setup if you have'nt tried it yet:

iFi Mercury USB cable > iFi iUSB > iFi Gemini Dual Headed Cable > USB Regen > Regens solid adapter > iFi iPurifier > Xonar Essence One amp/DAC > JRiver (DSPs: Sonarworks calibration VST, Relife VST, 7.1 channel up mixing) + Jitterbug in adjacent USB port (using the JB in the chain only thins out the bass) > Sennheiser HD 800's.

Make sure to detune the center silencers on both iFI USB cables each time you make a change.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #561 of 1,138
I would suggest that you remove the AQ Forest from the chain and try this setup if you have'nt tried it yet:

iFi Mercury USB cable > iFi iUSB > iFi Gemini Dual Headed Cable > USB Regen > Regens solid adapter > iFi iPurifier > Xonar Essence One amp/DAC > JRiver (DSPs: Sonarworks calibration VST, Relife VST, 7.1 channel up mixing) + Jitterbug in adjacent USB port (using the JB in the chain only thins out the bass) > Sennheiser HD 800's.

Make sure to detune the center silencers on both iFI USB cables each time you make a change.

Wow! Bingo!

I did actually try that configuration previously, but I must have just gotten lost in the others and forgotten which one really hit the spot. That's it.

Thanks man :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #562 of 1,138
did a lot fiddling with the chain; had the best luck with having the Regen at the beginning:

Audioquest Forest USB cable > Uptone USB Regen > iFi Mercury USB cable > > iFi iUSB > iFi Gemini Dual Headed Cable > iFi iPurifier > Xonar Essence One amp/DAC > JRiver (DSPs: Sonarworks calibration VST, Relife VST, 7.1 channel up mixing) + Jitterbug in adjacent USB port (using the JB in the chain only thins out the bass) > Sennheiser HD 800's.

Wow! Bingo!

I did actually try that configuration previously, but I must have just gotten lost in the others and forgotten which one really hit the spot. That's it.

Congratulations dmbr! 

I think the most potent element in Cornan's insightful recommendation to change from this...

Audioquest Forest USB cable > Uptone USB Regen > iFi Mercury USB cable > iFi iUSB > iFi Gemini Dual Headed Cable > iFi iPurifier > Xonar Essence One amp/DAC > JRiver (DSPs: Sonarworks calibration VST, Relife VST, 7.1 channel up mixing) + Jitterbug in adjacent USB port (using the JB in the chain only thins out the bass) > Sennheiser HD 800's.

... to this...

... was getting the USB Regen closer to the DAC.  John Swenson and Alex Crespi habitually remind people to keep the path between the USB Regen and the DAC as short as possible.

I'd be curious to try tweaking this a bit further by moving the iFi Purifier somewhere ahead of the USB Regen or removing it altogether, letting your ears be the judge, of course.

Mike

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #563 of 1,138

Wow! Bingo!

Congratulations dmbr! 

I think the most potent element in Cornan's insightful recommendation to change from this...

Audioquest Forest USB cable > Uptone USB Regen > iFi Mercury USB cable > iFi iUSB > iFi Gemini Dual Headed Cable > iFi iPurifier > Xonar Essence One amp/DAC > JRiver (DSPs: Sonarworks calibration VST, Relife VST, 7.1 channel up mixing) + Jitterbug in adjacent USB port (using the JB in the chain only thins out the bass) > Sennheiser HD 800's.

... to this...

... was getting the USB Regen closer to the DAC.  John Swenson and Alex Crespi habitually remind people to keep the path between the USB Regen and the DAC as short as possible.

I'd be curious to try tweaking this a bit further by moving the iFi Purifier somewhere ahead of the USB Regen or removing it altogether, letting your ears be the judge, of course.

Mike

Totally agree Mike!
Except removing the iPurifier I would also try to remove the 5v power cable of the Gemini Dual headed USB cable from the iUSB. It could potentially improve things (or even try without Dual Gemini and iUSB as well). Worth checking out! 
rolleyes.gif

Selling off the iUSB and dual Gemini cable should be enough for a good psu for the USB Regen. Just a tip! :wink:

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #564 of 1,138
Ha! Did some more experimenting and this configuration outshines all the rest in vividness and separation in particular--the Regen is surprisingly second in the chain.

iFi Mercury USB cable > Uptone Regen > iFi iUSB > iFi Gemini Dual USB cable > iFi Purifier > Xonar Essence One Muses Edition

My theory is that the iPurifier's power-cleaning properties make it best for the end of the chain. As to why the Regen sounds better placed before the iUSB, since they're both independently powered perhaps the iUSB does a better job of this?

Regardless, I've settled on the above ordering quite happily.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #565 of 1,138
Ha! Did some more experimenting and this configuration outshines all the rest in vividness and separation in particular--the Regen is surprisingly second in the chain.

iFi Mercury USB cable > Uptone Regen > iFi iUSB > iFi Gemini Dual USB cable > iFi Purifier > Xonar Essence One Muses Edition

My theory is that the iPurifier's power-cleaning properties make it best for the end of the chain. As to why the Regen sounds better placed before the iUSB, since they're both independently powered perhaps the iUSB does a better job of this?

Regardless, I've settled on the above ordering quite happily.

That is the right spirit! A curious mind is your ears best friend. :wink: Other people can only suggest things according to their own experiance. But in the end it is your own ears that knows best what will work for you. I am happy for you! :)

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #566 of 1,138
That is the right spirit! A curious mind is your ears best friend. :wink: Other people can only suggest things according to their own experiance. But in the end it is your own ears that knows best what will work for you. I am happy for you! :)
Thanks!

Feels very satisfying to solve the puzzle and be rewarded with cans that absolutely sing now :D

By the way, I'd be quite interested in any theorizing as to why such a chain might sound best!

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #567 of 1,138
Thanks!

Feels very satisfying to solve the puzzle and be rewarded with cans that absolutely sing now :D

By the way, I'd be quite interested in any theorizing as to why such a chain might sound best!

Well, in theory it should sound better with dual Gemini in computer without the power cable attached. Other end (data only) going directly to USB Regen connected to DAC with Regens solid adapter. But then again it is up to your own ears what sounds best.
The reason why your current chain sounds best is most likely (but without knowing) due to the iUSB and iPurifier cleaning the data signal in a way that you like.

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #569 of 1,138
Well, in theory it should sound better with dual Gemini in computer without the power cable attached. Other end (data only) going directly to USB Regen connected to DAC with Regens solid adapter. But then again it is up to your own ears what sounds best.
The reason why your current chain sounds best is most likely (but without knowing) due to the iUSB and iPurifier cleaning the data signal in a way that you like.
Interesting, I haven't tried that configuration! Thank you.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean though, could you elaborate on connecting the Gemini to the computer without the power cable attached? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that.

Once I understand, I'll give it a go and report back :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #570 of 1,138
Interesting, I haven't tried that configuration! Thank you.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean though, could you elaborate on connecting the Gemini to the computer without the power cable attached? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that.

Once I understand, I'll give it a go and report back :)

There is two wires on the dual Gemini. One with a battery symbol on the USB and one with a music note symbol on the USB. Attach only the music note symbol USB to your computer. The other end only have one wire that you connect to the Regen. The Regen will feed new power to your DAC. The only thing you will gain in theory is not having any power wires side-by-side in the lenght of the Gemini cable. Give it a try and use what sounds best to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back