Upgraditis strikes again!
Apr 10, 2006 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nerull

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all!
I have come to the conclusion I'm looking for an upgrade from my MS-2i's. I love the Grado sound, (or maybe something similar...) so would the RS-2 or RS-1 (or another) be appropriate? Would it really justify the money that would be spent to upgrade?

Your inputs are very appreciated!

~Tom

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 10
I recently jumped from the MS2i to the RS1. If you have the means, do it. The difference is staggering at times. The MS2i simply could not render that specific SOUND of certain instruments in ways that the RS1 can.

Not so sure about the RS2 though, haven't heard it.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 10
yes yes yes!!

RS1 is a noticeable improvement over the MS2 (I dont have the i model). The RS1 really projects a fullly detailed headstage. Theres centerstage, right, left, and everything in between. Its a very cohesive image too, no holes or dead spots in between. Far right/left does not reach as far as my HD580, but for certain frequencies and sounds far right/left reach very impressive depths. Instrument separation is very good and IMHO a slight notch up from the MS2.

Spectrally, I think its the RS1 upper midrange boost and kick drum bass bloat that really separates it from the MS2. That and the headstage differences.

Im thinking about upgrading mine with cpads.

Good Luck!
Garrett

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

Im thinking about upgrading mine with cpads.

Good Luck!
Garrett

DYI?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep
DYI?
very_evil_smiley.gif

undecided... I just bought some rubber "O" rings for a nice air tight seal. Gotta log some time in the shop and fab up the mounts.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 10
Alrighty. Are there any other suggestions for another headphone? I listen to Japanese Pop and some rock music (like Rammstein) and indie rock stuff. SA5000s? HD600s? Can anyone reinforce the recommendations above (to make sure I'm doing the right thing, hehe).
I like impact, clearness, and it has to mate well with an M^3.

Just wanted to elaborate some more (to make sure it's the correct thing to do).

~Tom

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerull
Alrighty. Are there any other suggestions for another headphone? I listen to Japanese Pop and some rock music (like Rammstein) and indie rock stuff. SA5000s? HD600s? Can anyone reinforce the recommendations above (to make sure I'm doing the right thing, hehe).
I like impact, clearness, and it has to mate well with an M^3.

Just wanted to elaborate some more (to make sure it's the correct thing to do).

~Tom

You might like the SA5K, but I think that's more of a sidestep from the MS2i than anything else. It does have the illusion of more detail (and may very well have more detail in some places) but often lacks the emotion that the MS2i can evoke. I do prefer the SA5K to the MS2i, but prefer the RS1 to both.

If you can hear the SA5K, give it a long listen, and don't be alarmed if you hate it at first. I did the first two times I heard it. However, the treble (while artificial at times) can really sing. As well, this is the freaking fastest headphone I've ever heard. There are literally SPACES between notes that I'd never heard before.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 10
Nerull, if you can DIY you have the option of making anything sounding nice to your ears.
smily_headphones1.gif
Have you heard other Grados and other headphones? Going RS1 is a great option but getting other headphones are not bad since they provide you more variety. RS1's price is like near SA5000+HD650. I rather have variety than one headphone. In my system, any headphone is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back