Upgraditis, sigh. (from im716s)
Dec 8, 2008 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

torpy

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a pair of stock im716s (from last year's $40 buy.com deal) which just bailed out on me, i.e. no sound at all from the phones. I'm about 95% sure it's the jack, going to replace that the minute I get some free time.

However, after coming back here and seeing all the recent developments, the whole 'Huh, I wonder if I should get a better pair' has hit me. Again.

I rather like the sound from my KSC75's, much more than the im716s; love the soundstage and the warmth of the sound from them. The sparkly highs are really nice, the mids not so much. Though I have no objection to the slightly clean sound of the iMs.

In the AU$250 (~US$150) range for new phones, I've been looking at the IE7, SE210, E3C and the X5. Any recommendations out of these? Or any others in that range I might have missed?

(all of these will primarily be unamped from an iPhone 3g/Macbook Pro, though I might pick myself up a Fiio E3)

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 4
warranty?

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Check the filters, could be clogged. Just take them out and if no sound, then probably is cable or plug. But sometimes, the filters just get clogged, though both at once is odd. IE7 or X5 both good phones, but I have neither (based on reviews). I have X10s and like them a lot for comfort/sound balance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by torpy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I have a pair of stock im716s (from last year's $40 buy.com deal) which just bailed out on me, i.e. no sound at all from the phones. I'm about 95% sure it's the jack, going to replace that the minute I get some free time.

However, after coming back here and seeing all the recent developments, the whole 'Huh, I wonder if I should get a better pair' has hit me. Again.

I rather like the sound from my KSC75's, much more than the im716s; love the soundstage and the warmth of the sound from them. The sparkly highs are really nice, the mids not so much. Though I have no objection to the slightly clean sound of the iMs.

In the AU$250 (~US$150) range for new phones, I've been looking at the IE7, SE210, E3C and the X5. Any recommendations out of these? Or any others in that range I might have missed?

(all of these will primarily be unamped from an iPhone 3g/Macbook Pro, though I might pick myself up a Fiio E3)

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 4
Sorry it took some time for me to get back to this thread.

I'm a 100% sure it's not filters
wink.gif
One side actually died first, slowly. i.e. I could still get it to work by jiggling the cord around the plug. Then the other side went with the same symptoms. sigh.

I've actually tried contacting Plantronics several times about the warranty but they've either not answered my initial emails or flat-out ignored me after replying once or twice. I'm going to give their hotline a go, but spending the money for a call to the US is kinda putting me off a bit.. (might be cheaper just to dig out the soldering iron and put a new plug on)

@tstarn06 I've heard the cable on the X10s is really fragile, kinda worried I might break the X4s easily. How're your X10s turning out to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back