Upgraditis is killing me! UE triple fi or Shure SE530!?
Apr 22, 2008 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

alitomr

500+ Head-Fier
After a year without buying anything, I am decided to go to the top of the line IEMs. I am mostly listening to my music from my laptop (awful source i know, it is really really bad) and from my ZVM. I will order the cowon i7 and havent decided about the IEM.

I am now back because upgraditis got really bad :s and now i will upgrade my HD555s. I am considering going all the way to the highest quality IEMs in the market, but withouit the custom molds UE10...i think they are way too much.

I am debating between the Shure SE530PTH and the UE triple fi 10 PRO. The best written reviews i have read (cnet, amazon, N.Y Times) all seem to agree on that it should be a matter of preference if you like one more than the other, and I need some help trying to figure out which one would appeal more to me.

I fell totally in love with my HD555s. I still am. I dont think there has been more than a day or two that I spent without using them after i bought them. I really like them and since the first day i listened to them I was only wondering what it would be like to have an even greater experience since they are consider barely entry level audiphile headphones. I like everything in them. If i could change something it might be maybe just a little more bass, and more than MORE, it would be more definition. The mids are so great IMO than I am having a hard time listening to stereo that satisfies me. I think the kind of sound i really liked is the super clear mids and balance sound, without overpowering bass or too crisp, piercing highs.

The most important thing for me is sound quality, even when I must be honest and say that PTH feature of the Shure is quite interesting as it would allow me to use them in the office where my boss calls me all day. I just dont feel so hot about paying the extra 170 just for it (assuming the sound quality is really too close to call between these two). I also understand the PTH device is vailable for $50 for the UE triple fi pro.

It also seems that the shure is more comfortable and much less bulky. This is definitely some points to shure...

Based on this descriptions, which one do you think I should get?

Please help!!!
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 55
Can't speak for the Triple Fi's as I've never heard them. But the sound quality of the E530s is superb, well balanced (with more than enough bass in depth AND definition) rich mids and sweet, silky highs (that are either just right or rolled off depending on ones ears). Toss in the comfort - which is out of this world for an IEM - and I don't see how you can go wrong.

I wouldn't say the E530s sound like your Senns (more evenly balanced), but will be close enough for jazz (or any other genere for that matter).

If the price is close, count the PTH addition as an added bonus and Shure's customer service is second to none.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 55
You didn't mention what type of music you like. If you listen to rock and hip hop or rap, definitely SE530. But even if you don't I would suggest buying both and keeping the one you prefer. They do sound different. No matter which one you buy, after a few months you will wonder what the other one sounds like anyway and will be on another mission.

SE530 bass slams and the overall presentation is somwhat forward and aggressive yet very refined and butter smooth. The TFP's sound a little more open but dry and airy and laid back. Nicely textured bass, slightly larger soundstage, slightly more detailed treble. I think the TFP's are a little more colored and the SE530's more natural sounding. TFP's are definitely more bulky but the new comply tips make them just as comfy as the Shures but the Shures do have a much lower profile in the ear. The Cowon player's EQ should be able to crispin up the SE530's treble very nicely. Both great IEM's. I'm sure I made the decision easier for you, huh?
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 55
I have the Cowon D2 and I can tell you the SE530s and D2 are a good match. A little warmth certainly doesn't hurt the Cowon and the Shures deliver.

I have not heard the triple.fis but it is hard to imagine another IEM sounding any better. I've listened to Classic rock, Contemporary Christian, Jazz, Musical Soundtracks, New Age, female vocals, the blues and etc. The SE530s do well with all these genres.

What ever you decide, you probably can't go wrong. You might want to check out iaudiophile.net forums to see what current i7 owners like. Nice to be in a position where there is no wrong answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You didn't mention what type of music you like. If you listen to rock and hip hop or rap, definitely SE530. But even if you don't I would suggest buying both and keeping the one you prefer. They do sound different. No matter which one you buy, after a few months you will wonder what the other one sounds like anyway and will be on another mission.

SE530 bass slams and the overall presentation is somwhat forward and aggressive yet very refined and butter smooth. The TFP's sound a little more open but dry and airy and laid back. Nicely textured bass, slightly larger soundstage, slightly more detailed treble. I think the TFP's are a little more colored and the SE530's more natural sounding. TFP's are definitely more bulky but the new comply tips make them just as comfy as the Shures but the Shures do have a much lower profile in the ear. The Cowon player's EQ should be able to crispin up the SE530's treble very nicely. Both great IEM's. I'm sure I made the decision easier for you, huh?
tongue.gif

I h9 u. Seriously.

smily_headphones1.gif
. Well, thanks to both of you for replying. I think the balance is leaning towards the Shure. I am going to wait for a couple more replies though. There has to be a few UE fans around here as they were so unbelieveably hyped a few months back.

I saw an unreal deal for the Shure's...so great im scared :
eek.gif

I listen to a lot of music genres. Mostly rock and latin rythms, but also some jazz. Just sometimes some pop.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 55
If high end treble detail is the most important criteria I would go with the TFP's but the Cowon player kind of trumps that out so go with the Shures. Then come back in 3 months and tell us how you still love the Shures but are thinking about picking up some TFP's.

I have both and will never get rid of either until something better comes out which could be a long time. I mean where do we go from triple drivers?
eek.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 55
If sound quality is your priority and you don't mind zero isolation. You should add the PK1 and Ok1(soon to be release) to your list. I have owned both the PK1 and Triple.fi, to my ears the PK1 sounded better overall.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 55
I would go with the Triple.Fi as it just has a more realistic treble sparkle coming from headphones like the K701, D2000, DT880. The 530 sounds more like the HD580 which is a bit too rolled off in the highs.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 55
OK. This is going to be difficult. I've never heard of the PK1 before and i cant find it on amazon.com.

Spyro, how is that the "Cowon player kind of trumps that (treble detail) out so go with the Shures"??? I understand the i7 has one of the best outputs of any portable player and it supposedly have an incredible EQ. Am i wrong?

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 55
You can find the PK1 in head-direct.com, you may want to read reviews first, lots of them here. The PK1 sounds better than it looks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 55
I agree with SPYRO on this. The UE's do have a slightly more apparant high end but neither will sound as sparkly as your present cans. You'll need a little time to become acclimated to their sound signature. I don't like the cable on either of these IEM's and Shure has had a problem with the cables cracking (this may have been addressed by Shure), they do have great customer service but wonder what happens when the warranty period is over. The UE's cable isn't any better but it can be changed to the Westone braided cable which would be much better if desired. I do like the low profile and easier fit of the Shure but like the sound of the UE enough to put up with the higher profile and fit requirements. You really can't go wrong with either of these, and as SPYRO said: YOU'LL BE BACK!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #12 of 55
I have both for a year and the TripleFi stays as my reference.

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK. This is going to be difficult. I've never heard of the PK1 before and i cant find it on amazon.com.

Spyro, how is that the "Cowon player kind of trumps that (treble detail) out so go with the Shures"??? I understand the i7 has one of the best outputs of any portable player and it supposedly have an incredible EQ. Am i wrong?

I have not heard it but everything I have read tells me that the Cowon players are a little cold, analytical and emphasize the treble. This would seem to synergize well with any IEM that is somewhat warm and has rolled off highs. And of course the EQ can help even further.

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 55
At this quality, it is a matter of preference whatever way you cut it...of what you've read, which sound presentation are you drawn to? Couple that with the music you listen to & you're a step closer to happyland. Or buy both (...seethingly jealous...)

Me? I prefer mine as clearer treble/airier but still w/ bass punch, & I love replaceable cables so guess what I went for
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If high end treble detail is the most important criteria I would go with the TFP's but the Cowon player kind of trumps that out so go with the Shures. Then come back in 3 months and tell us how you still love the Shures but are thinking about picking up some TFP's.

I have both and will never get rid of either until something better comes out which could be a long time. I mean where do we go from triple drivers?
eek.gif

spyro gives some superb advice, ive always been a little biased towards the shures because im just mad on them but like the kid says here, the cowan is a gem for highs presentation and will compensate for a warm sounding set of phones like the shures, which should balance the shures out very nicely.

also i think the shures are mint for jazz, ive always liked the warmth in jazz music and the shures present it well. for rock tho id lean towards the trips personally. shures are a tad warm for rock to sound perfect.

to answer your last question spyro...theres always the quad driver bad boy UE11's and more to come no doubt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back