Upgrading to hd 660s from akg 712pro
Mar 14, 2019 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Epsilon95

New Head-Fier
Hi
I was wondering is it worth upgrading to the hd 660s from 712 pro? I’m looking for a bit more ‘ fun” as the 712s don’t really have that wow factor that I’m looking for to me the only good thing I like from these is the sound stage.

I listen to rock classical and jazz plus a lot of female vocal stuff. Would the hd 660s be worth it?

If you have any other recommendations please let me know my budget would be around what the 660s cost. And I’ll als use them with my pc connected to a et0k which I’m looking to upgrade as well.

Thanks in advanced

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 16
Personally I would recommend you go with the 650s over the 660s. I own a pair of 650s and have for several years, and they are the headphone I constantly go back to. I auditioned the 660s at a meetup for a little while, and I found the bass to be muddy, and the highs to be sharp and irritating. You say you are looking for something more "exciting", and while the 650s aren't exactly the most exciting in terms of treble or bass, they have some of the best mids money can buy. Music happens in the mids, especially with classical and jazz. I would tell you to get the 650s either from massdrop for $200 (called the 6xx by them, but it's the exact same driver) or find a used pair online, and use the money you save to buy yourself a schiit vali 2 to have a solid amplifier for them.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 16
Hi
I was wondering is it worth upgrading to the hd 660s from 712 pro? I’m looking for a bit more ‘ fun” as the 712s don’t really have that wow factor that I’m looking for to me the only good thing I like from these is the sound stage.
I listen to rock classical and jazz plus a lot of female vocal stuff. Would the hd 660s be worth it?
If you have any other recommendations please let me know my budget would be around what the 660s cost. And I’ll also use them with my PC connected to a Et0K which I’m looking to upgrade as well.
Thanks in advanced
What is the make and model of your motherboard?
It might be the motherboard's on-board audio might not be able to bring out the best in the AKG 712 Pro.
How much would you be willing to spend on a DAC/amp, for use with the headphones?
Do you do any FPS gaming with the PC?

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 16
Personally I would recommend you go with the 650s over the 660s. I own a pair of 650s and have for several years, and they are the headphone I constantly go back to. I auditioned the 660s at a meetup for a little while, and I found the bass to be muddy, and the highs to be sharp and irritating. You say you are looking for something more "exciting", and while the 650s aren't exactly the most exciting in terms of treble or bass, they have some of the best mids money can buy. Music happens in the mids, especially with classical and jazz. I would tell you to get the 650s either from massdrop for $200 (called the 6xx by them, but it's the exact same driver) or find a used pair online, and use the money you save to buy yourself a schiit vali 2 to have a solid amplifier for them.
Thanks for the reply I guess exciting was the wrong term to use. I also find the 712s too have to much bass for me sometimes and what you said about the mids sounds what I’m looking for, and I am sensitive to high frequencie, so this my be a better option.

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 16
What is the make and model of your motherboard?
It might be the motherboard's on-board audio might not be able to bring out the best in the AKG 712 Pro.
How much would you be willing to spend on a DAC/amp, for use with the headphones?
Do you do any FPS gaming with the PC?

Hi

This is my motherboard https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A9GHD3G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1I don’t play a lot of FPS games on my pc usualIy rts games and open world/indie was thinking of getting a Jotunhiem in a couple of months for a dac amp. Or if not that’s how much I would be willing to spend

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the reply I guess exciting was the wrong term to use. I also find the 712s too have to much bass for me sometimes and what you said about the mids sounds what I’m looking for, and I am sensitive to high frequency, so this my be a better option.
A bloated (louder, less detailed) bass can be caused by an impedance issue (high impedance headphone jack).

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 16
Hi

This is my motherboard https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A9GHD3G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1I don’t play a lot of FPS games on my PC usually RTS games and open world/indie was thinking of getting a Jotunhiem in a couple of months for a dac amp. Or if not that’s how much I would be willing to spend
Your motherboard comes with a Realtek ALC887 on-board audio processor, so about equal to a $25-$30 sound card.
This what i use to drive all my headphones.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 16

on the contrary, the 660s are retune HD700s, they are better headphone for OP than the darker 650s, also can be driven by phone.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 16
on the contrary, the 660s are retune HD700s, they are better headphone for OP than the darker 650s, also can be driven by phone.
I don’t think you can call them a retuned 700 as the cup shape is much different and have seen many places that say they use the 700 drivers and as many that say they do not but I don’t know which is true. The OP said they are sensitive to high frequencies so if the 660’s are remotely close to the 700’s that would not be a good choice but I have not heard them myself so can’t say for sure..

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 16
Hi

This is my motherboard https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A9GHD3G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1I don’t play a lot of FPS games on my pc usualIy rts games and open world/indie was thinking of getting a Jotunhiem in a couple of months for a dac amp. Or if not that’s how much I would be willing to spend
Just had the Jotunheim on loan from Schiit with the Multibit dac module and have to say I liked it a lot. Had just a touch of warmth and with plenty of power. I wish I had tested my Abyss with it but I bet it could power them no problem as it rocked the HE-500’s.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 16
I don’t think you can call them a retuned 700 as the cup shape is much different and have seen many places that say they use the 700 drivers and as many that say they do not but I don’t know which is true. The OP said they are sensitive to high frequencies so if the 660’s are remotely close to the 700’s that would not be a good choice but I have not heard them myself so can’t say for sure..

His musical taste is classical and jazz. I dont think a warm headphone are dedicate for those type of genre, dont get me wrong it would sound ok but those genre, I think the user want to feel the openness and wide sound stage, the perception that it is grand and far out especially with classical. I think it is the HD700 drivers because lets face it, Sennheiser didnt make enough money from the HD700 to warrant ditching the whole project all together, they have to squeeze the most out of it.

HD800 and HD800s are the same driver, however they sound very very different. I can attest this from first hand listening, I have the HD800s now and it sound NOTHING like the HD800, as a matter of fact I was dissapointed in the HD800 since so many people praise it, but compare to my Beyer T1, they were so harsh and so un-enjoyable and so amp dependent. A friend from hawaii agrees, out of all the Amp he owns, only a few can do the HD800 justice. A couple of years later, the table have turn, the HD800s sound more musical and out do my beloved Beyer T1. Its the same driver, same headset, just a little retune and additional part to make the sound warmer and more musical.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 16
His musical taste is classical and jazz. I dont think a warm headphone are dedicate for those type of genre, dont get me wrong it would sound ok but those genre, I think the user want to feel the openness and wide sound stage, the perception that it is grand and far out especially with classical. I think it is the HD700 drivers because lets face it, Sennheiser didnt make enough money from the HD700 to warrant ditching the whole project all together, they have to squeeze the most out of it.

HD800 and HD800s are the same driver, however they sound very very different. I can attest this from first hand listening, I have the HD800s now and it sound NOTHING like the HD800, as a matter of fact I was dissapointed in the HD800 since so many people praise it, but compare to my Beyer T1, they were so harsh and so un-enjoyable and so amp dependent. A friend from hawaii agrees, out of all the Amp he owns, only a few can do the HD800 justice. A couple of years later, the table have turn, the HD800s sound more musical and out do my beloved Beyer T1. Its the same driver, same headset, just a little retune and additional part to make the sound warmer and more musical.

I think the hd 800s are just a fair bit over my budget ..I do listen to a lot of other genres but those 3 I listed are usually the main ones

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 16

I’m the total opposite when it comes to the HD-800 I like the original more than the S. I have always heard the 800 is amp picky but I guess I just bought all the right amps as I find it harder to find a amp for the 650’s that I like. Well as for the 660 drivers they will be at Axpona next month and I will ask. It has to do which T1 you are talking about the T1 version 2 or whatever it is called was ok but one of the original ones was like nails on a chalkboard for me and I don’t mind bright.

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 16
I think the hd 800s are just a fair bit over my budget ..I do listen to a lot of other genres but those 3 I listed are usually the main ones

O I wasnt trying to suggest that to you, I was just implying how the two same driver can sound different. in your case it would be the HD660 vs HD700, same driver slightly different sound however totally different from 650s

I’m the total opposite when it comes to the HD-800 I like the original more than the S. I have always heard the 800 is amp picky but I guess I just bought all the right amps as I find it harder to find a amp for the 650’s that I like. Well as for the 660 drivers they will be at Axpona next month and I will ask. It has to do which T1 you are talking about the T1 version 2 or whatever it is called was ok but one of the original ones was like nails on a chalkboard for me and I don’t mind bright.

I remember driving the HD800 from my Chord hugo, it was heart breaking, I thought my Chord was breaking apart, it definitely had the power but the treble was just too painful, surprisingly I liked the HE560 at the time too, but ended up staying with the Beyer T1 @DavidA had a lot of headphones lol must be $100k worth of gears, I listen to everything he had lol. I have the 1st gen Beyer with a Audeze mod, I have not listen to an original Beyer T1 1st gen or second gen. Its funny you think that the Beyer T1 is harsher than the HD800, most people think the opposite.

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 16
I remember driving the HD800 from my Chord hugo, it was heart breaking, I thought my Chord was breaking apart, it definitely had the power but the treble was just too painful, surprisingly I liked the HE560 at the time too, but ended up staying with the Beyer T1 @DavidA had a lot of headphones lol must be $100k worth of gears, I listen to everything he had lol. I have the 1st gen Beyer with a Audeze mod, I have not listen to an original Beyer T1 1st gen or second gen. Its funny you think that the Beyer T1 is harsher than the HD800, most people think the opposite.
The 800’s and Chord Mojo is one of my favorite pairings for a transportable unit as I like to sit out on the back patio to listen and enjoy nature in my backyard while listening to music the birds add a nice part to a lot of songs.
I have talked to @DavidA several times in the past about Bottlehead Crack and Teac UD301 if I remember correctly . I just realized I’m starting to highjack the thread sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back