Upgrading to a 64gb iPod Touch?
Sep 11, 2009 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

migsev

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own a 4 year old 5.5gen 80gb iPod video, which has served me really well. With the latest announcement of new iPods, I decided to upgrade. I'm aiming for a 64gb touch (my music library is currently at 51gb) and Denon C710 earphones. I'm swaying towards the touch as its now big enough for my whole music library, plus I have the option of downloading apps/games onto it. There's also the fact that its about half the thickness of my current iPod and much lighter to carry around.

I'm a complete newbie at this whole audio world (should I even call it that?
tongue_smile.gif
) but I want good sound quality coming from my music player.

Is this an advisable upgrade?

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 29
If it's sound quality alone that you're after, then you might want to consider sending your current iPod to Red Wine Audio to convert it to an iMod: iMod However, you'll also need to invest in a LOD and an external amp, so the cost options are up to you.

However, the iPod Touch is a whole world more than music; the Appstore has some brilliant stuff, and if you're able regularly to connect into WiFi network (and use it, of course), then it's a no-brainer IMHO. The sound from the Touch is pretty good (mine's a 1st Gen, I believe later models are better [/apocryphal opinion]), but you can get the best from it using the line-out with a LOD and an amp...

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upgrade your ipod HD to 160GB, install Rockbox, and you're rocking.

How do I upgrade the HD to 160gb?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's sound quality alone that you're after, then you might want to consider sending your current iPod to Red Wine Audio to convert it to an iMod: iMod However, you'll also need to invest in a LOD and an external amp, so the cost options are up to you.

However, the iPod Touch is a whole world more than music; the Appstore has some brilliant stuff, and if you're able regularly to connect into WiFi network (and use it, of course), then it's a no-brainer IMHO. The sound from the Touch is pretty good (mine's a 1st Gen, I believe later models are better [/apocryphal opinion]), but you can get the best from it using the line-out with a LOD and an amp...

The iMod isn't an option for me. I'm looking for a portable device and wouldn't really want to have to lug an LOD and an amp around with me.
tongue.gif

The "other world" the iPod Touch opens up is part of its appeal to me. The apps seem really entertaining and yes, I can regularly connect to a Wifi network. Its main purpose for me is still a music player though. That means I'm looking for decent sound quality off the iPod from the get-go.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by migsev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "other world" the iPod Touch opens up is part of its appeal to me. The apps seem really entertaining and yes, I can regularly connect to a Wifi network. Its main purpose for me is still a music player though. That means I'm looking for decent sound quality off the iPod from the get-go.

The walk away from the thread, my friend. Your choice is from an option list of one.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The walk away from the thread, my friend. Your choice is from an option list of one.

Err...sorry, but I don't quite get what you mean.
redface.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by migsev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Err...sorry, but I don't quite get what you mean.
redface.gif

Here:

Quote:

However, the iPod Touch is a whole world more than music; the Appstore has some brilliant stuff, and if you're able regularly to connect into WiFi network (and use it, of course), then it's a no-brainer IMHO.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 29
He's saying "go for the touch".

I own a first gen touch and I would say "go for the touch" aswell. The SQ is quite good. Its not as good as a proper home hifi system but its acceptable for a small portable device.

The apps are cool, but kinda gimmicky. I only get the free ones and I hardly use them after first trying them out. Some are good though, such as JellyCar and damn

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 29
I currently own a Creative Zen Vision M 60gb (fat version) and I'm considering the 64gb touch as well. My music library's probably aruond 50gb atm, and I know that it will expand. But there's a lot of stuff there I don't really listen to regularly, so while 32gb isn't big enough, I think 64gb should be for a while yet.

I really like the look of some of the apps, so I think I'd get some value out of those. For example, I want to try the Bebot app that Dream Theater's keyboardist, Jordan Rudess, has used on the new album. I think he's actually created his own app as well so that could be worth a look. Apart from that I'd look at the free games, hopefully there's some good free ones there.

I guess the only thing I'm slightly worried about is the sound quality. I use the regular headphone out on my ZVM, which is fine for me and my UM3X. Basically the touch doesn't have to sound fantastic, it just has to not sound bad.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 29
If you are after pure soundquality without external AMPs and LOD cable help then Sony X1000 series walkmen and AMP3 is better choice but since you like current ipod touch capacity and APPs feature it still has great sound quality. You can also buy iBasso T4 or Nuforce icon mobile AMPs with ALO micro dock which(AMPs)are very slim and small they won't add extra bulk as other AMPs do but you will get clean line out signals through ipod touch dock and improvement willbe great for overall soundquality vs HP. BTW later you can also buy SRS WOW dock adapter to enjoy better soundquality.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by b35ty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own a Creative Zen Vision M 60gb (fat version) and I'm considering the 64gb touch as well. My music library's probably aruond 50gb atm, and I know that it will expand. But there's a lot of stuff there I don't really listen to regularly, so while 32gb isn't big enough, I think 64gb should be for a while yet.

I really like the look of some of the apps, so I think I'd get some value out of those. For example, I want to try the Bebot app that Dream Theater's keyboardist, Jordan Rudess, has used on the new album. I think he's actually created his own app as well so that could be worth a look. Apart from that I'd look at the free games, hopefully there's some good free ones there.

I guess the only thing I'm slightly worried about is the sound quality. I use the regular headphone out on my ZVM, which is fine for me and my UM3X. Basically the touch doesn't have to sound fantastic, it just has to not sound bad.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. Its just that I've read lots of good things about the SQ of my 5.5 generation Video. The 64gb Touch seems like an upgrade, but I'm worried that the sound quality on them isn't as good. There's a thread in here somewhere where someone said it was muddy and not as clear as the 5.5.

Its size and ability to hold apps/use WiFi is appealing though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back