UPGRADING THE CRYSTAL (X0) ON ESSENCE STX
Jul 9, 2009 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 246

GWorlDofSPACE

100+ Head-Fier
There are many users who bought the STX whit a crystal that has 50-100 ps.
Its a 2 pin smd ceramic crystal marked IT 475 and 24,576 Mhz.
I am a person who wants the maximum out of the STX, so I will try to upgrade the crystal true the JZ-1 clock from kingwa. This crystal has 5ps and will swing on 24,576 Mhz.

Yes you will say sell the STX and buy ST but the ST has the same X0! Only difference is the added filtering chip that reduces jitter! So I will replace the source of the problem not try to reduce it whit filtering.

Here is a picture of the JZ-1 and the location of the IT475 on STX
JZ1.jpg

essence_08_thumb.jpg

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 246
indeed, but the ebay link I posted in your other thread shows that the 1ppm clock they're selling will lose ±2 ppm/year....adding a chip to clean a noisy clock might actually be a better option than having an uber-accurate clock worsening everyday.

just my
images

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 246
there's a good explanation of what an improved clock does here : Burson Clock

Quote:

By reducing the jitter error, you will hear clearer positioning, also details are further refined vocally and instrumentally. Sound stage and positioning will improve noticeably and that includes deeper sound stage and darker background.

it's exactly what I noticed when switching from the STX to the ST...but -and there's a but- the LME49720HA really dishes out too many details on top of it IMO. I read some ppl saying that it was too detailed to their taste, and it's really over the top on the ST. very fatiguing, there's too much stereophonic data for the brain to process....or maybe I'll get used to it
redface.gif

and going ST>STX afterwards gives the impression of a "muddy"/less clear stereo image.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 246
Your brain gets used to alot of over time. This is also why one opamps can sound very good when you first hear it but over a period of time you will start to hear all the negatives aswell as the positives. Some say there is no such thing as Opamp burn-in as they are silicon chips. They say your brain is just getting used to the response.

As for what a better clock does, Yes. It is digital audio 101. The master clock enables the DAC and ADC and they are supposed to be timed precisely. With a jittery clock, the timing pulses start to early or end to late or both..Converting the audio at incorret times which distorts the output and you will get artifacting that is mathematically related to the jitter timings.
Listen to your STX for awhile and let your ears/brain get used to it again.

A few guys I know upgraded their XM's with high precision clocks and they said the difference was very noticable.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 246
The burn-in topic is one that will be argued forever on this forum and others I have read pretty much everything I could find that related to silicon burn-in with relation to opamps and audio aswell as other component. Some say yes and some say no. That is not the topic though.. The point I was trying to make is your brain gets used to a sonic profile over time also.
..Anyway,
Crossfeed plugins are like any other effect in that some like them and some do not.
If you like it use it.
I think we are getting off topic, back to the XO.

@GworlDofSPACE
Do you already have the the improved module
Too bad you don't have two STX's to test them you could do before and after comparisons.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but that module is more then just a XO. There is clean-up circuitry also.
If Kingwa used a higher quality clock to begin with is also a factor.

hehe, I see you've edited your post
atsmile.gif

well, the additional latency by running wires from the original PCB clock location to this new PCB will be a deal breaker IMO...for the same reason they always keep the VRAM as close to the GPU as possible, we're talking about nanoseconds here...PCB design takes all that latency in account.

putting a compatible same-sized higher accuracy clock MIGHT be an option, but attaching a third party PCB is doomed to fail IMO. in the best scenario, it will "work" but the latency will kill any possible improvement....in the worst scenario, the audio will be terrible.

and on that photo the original PLL is 33.8Mhz..

anyway, I think I'm getting used to the better clock on the ST w/ headphones...my brain is not used to hear such a pure stereo signal I guess
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Editing posts is common. Especially when people cannot be bothered arguing.

haha, right! in your initial post you were saying that I had a point...but you were then taken by remorses and decided to back-flip
biggrin.gif

you mister really are the master of the interwebb, I had no idea you could edit teh post!
eek.gif

anyway, this project is doomed to fail due to the reasons given above...I just hope it won't cost too much to the OP in the end
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 246
Dont be concerned about me leeperry.
The first of all I have found some interesting info about the av100 chip. This chip is a C-media Oxygen HD CMI8787. I found the crystal is connected to pin 46 and 47. I will put the output of JZ1 very short wire to the input of the av chip and the ground is the problem it should be near the original crystal. SO???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back