Upgrading, need some help
Feb 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Andeby

Head-Fier
Hey there!
Hope this is the right forum to post this in. :)

So I currently have a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80Ohm version powered by an Asus Essence STX soundcard. My DT770 is getting old, and the cable has started going bad, with the right clock barely getting signal unless the cable is in perfect position. I've tried fixing it and it's proven to be harder than I thought, so I decided it's time to look for a replacement (I know I could probably send them in but for several reasons that's not an option).

My main focus is something good for music. I do enjoy bass but there has to be a balance, not just bass. The genres I mostly listen to are rap/hip hop and sometimes trance, but it's not limited to that.

Price range:
Something between $100-500, the lower the better but I don't want to downgrade from the DT770's at least.

What I've looked at so far:
DT990 600OHM
HD650

Backup plan would be to just get a new pair of DT770, maybe 250Ohm this time, and maybe a headphone amp if that's considered better than Asus' flagship soundcards.

So yeah, hoping to get some input here since I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding what would be good, especially since I have no place where I can listen before buying.

-Andeby

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 17
Based on your music preference I would recommend the Hifiman HE-400 but it's slightly out of your budget, might be able to find a used pair in your range.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 17
HE-400, didn't even look like anyone carried them in Norway but I found someone. Right at the edge of my budget, but they do seem nice.
Would these go well with an Asus Xonar Essence STX or would I have to consider an amp as well for them?

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 17
An amp would be good... But the STX would probably do okay.

I don't think it would be worth it to get a fiio or the like. If you want an amp, I think you should aim a bit higher

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 17
That STX will do just fine.....great soundcard

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 17
Feb 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 17
Feb 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
That STX will do just fine.....great soundcard

Yeah really love the STX, with UNi Xonar drivers it's pretty amazing. :)
Quote:

Nope. They are open-back

Hmm, thought that mostly meant that they leak a lot of sound, which would not be a problem. Definitely want something that is good at blocking out background noise when I listen to music. Noice cancelling would be cool but hifi and noice cancelling doesn't seem to be a popular mix. :p

Edit:
Someone just suggested Audio Technica ATH M50, they do seem nice. How are they vs the DT770? Noticed they are a bit cheaper but that doesn't always matter. :p

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 17
Maybe try the the mad dogs as closed

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 17
You could repair those you have (not that hard, I think). The try getting the Mad Dogs :D

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #15 of 17
Yeah probably not too hard to fix the problem but I've been so close to breaking them every time I've opened them to clean for hairs so I am just a bit reluctant to open it and mess around with it. I use it daily so I'd like to avoid having to go without it for too long. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back