Upgrading my SR60's
Mar 4, 2006 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dbranger94

New Head-Fier
I'm going to make this as simple as I can.

I want a pair of cans that have a warm sound with good mids and bass. I like the open back cans and prefer my music LOUD! I mainly want them for gaming, but I will also use them for music. I mainly listen to rock and heavy metal, but will listen to about anything but country. I have an A47 amp so low impedence is ok.

I have been looking at the following cans:
Grado SR225
A-Grado MS-1
Senn HD555
Senn HD595

I've been looking hard at the HD555's because people say the HD595's are neutral sounding or even kinda flat. Money isn't a big issue, but I'd like to keep them around or below the $300 mark.

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 5
I made the upgrade from SR-60s to the 555s and I am happy I did.

First of all, the comfort is so superior to the 60s that I can wear them all day for marathon gaming sessions (which, incidently, the 555s are great for on account of the soundstage).

The sound is neutral, nothing is over-emphasized.

Go for the 555s.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 5
I have not heard them, but based on comments here if I was going to spend $300 or so on headphones I would get the Beyerdynamic DT880s. They're $225.95 at B&H right now (haven't looked elsewhere, but that seems a decent price), so you'd have cash leftover for more music!!
icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 5
Wow..at $300, you have lots of choices. The top of my pile would definitely be the AKG K701. I haven't heard them but if what everyone says is true, they have WONDERFUL mids (I have the K501 and the mids are just pure gold) and it should have much better bass response as compared to the K501. I think you can still get them for the introductory price of about $300 from TTVJ and Headroom.

Now, if you want bang for the buck, then check out:
HD580 - VERY good all around cans and they run at about $150. You can get away with no amp for these.
K501 - Except for the bass, wonderful pair of cans at $130. However, they do require an amp.
DT880 - Wonderful cans for $225. A touch bright but very acurate bass, not alot but very tight and true.
DT990/DT770 - These are the bass cans from Beyerdynamics.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 5
thanks for the replies guys, I hadn't looked all that much at the Beyers or the AKGs.

I guess I could make a wish list and get them all, but here's another option.

If I could point out what I would improve in the SR60's maybe that would help you out with your suggestions.

I love the midbase, but the highs tend to scream at me. Anything below 60Hz seems really lacking. And midrange, well I think it could be bumped up a notch or two.

So, take the 60s and give them punchy bass, add some upper-mirange and knock down the piercing highs and what do I get?
SR225's, 325i's or MS-2i's perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back