Upgrading my Qpad QH-1339(Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro)
Apr 16, 2020 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

VLarsen

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I was hoping you could help me with some headphone suggestions.

I've been looking to upgrade my QH-1339(which is a rebrand of the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro with a mic). I've had them for about 5 years and I feel like getting something new. I also want something a little more comfortable and a little lighter feel than the QH-1339. The ones I have aren't uncomfortable, but after an hour or two I feel a little too much pressure on top of my head. Oh and I would also prefer an open back headphone.

So, what I've been looking at is the Sennheiser HD650 or HD660 S. I'm leaning towards the 650's over the 660's, mostly because they are about half the price. Is there a big difference between them, or simply put, is the difference worth $200? Would these be a good upgrade from what I have in terms of sound quality and comfort? I will be using them mostly for music(mostly rock/metal), some movies from time to time, and some gaming. I will probably keep on using my old headset for gaming, at least when I game with my friends, just because they have a microphone.

I'm also open for other headphone suggestions. Price range from about $200-$450

I'm currently running my headset through an Asus Essence STX II soundcard. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to headphone amps and DACs, but from what I understand my soundcard wont be able to bring out the full potential from these headphones, but that is something I will upgrade on a later time. I would love some suggestions here too.

Thanks.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 5
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the response.
Just a few follow up questions.
Is there a reason for choosing the Unified Xonar Drivers over the official Asus drivers? I've never experienced any problems with the official drivers. Also I have never disabled the motherboard's onboard audio.Is this just to avoid potential driver complications?
And lastly. Do you have any recommendations for the 3 op-amps? I've read good things about the Burson v5 op-amps.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the response.
Just a few follow up questions.
Is there a reason for choosing the Unified Xonar Drivers over the official Asus drivers? I've never experienced any problems with the official drivers. Also I have never disabled the motherboard's onboard audio.Is this just to avoid potential driver complications?
And lastly. Do you have any recommendations for the 3 op-amps? I've read good things about the Burson v5 op-amps.
The Unified Xonar Drivers will get updated more than the official Asus drivers.
Disabling onboard audio is not a big deal, old habit.
I do not really keep up on what op-amps are the best for the STX II, guess you will have to read up yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back