Upgrading my Oppo 981HD being used as transport - worth putting a good clock in?
Nov 21, 2008 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Luminette

1000+ Head-Fier
So I already have the oppo and am using it currently -

I'm not sure how much difference I'll really see in upgading the clock in one of these, and whether I'll feel that it's worth the money.

I've been told it may cost $200-500 to make the big jump to a reasonable upgrade.

I'd love to hear some feedback on whether people think that having a bteter clock for transport than this is worth it - to what extent is it worth it etc

As well as whether playing around with the oppo like this is a good idea, or, should I shop for a nice used transport instead?

And... what kind of difference is made? What do I end up hearing. I've been told it sounds more natural. Vague term. Scares me that it may be similar to "smooth".. also a vague and varied term.

Thanks

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 9
I think the answer depends on the jitter rejection of your DAC. For example on a Benchmark DAC1 or Bel Canto DAC3 there will be no difference that I can see since the large majority of the jitter will be rejected. I don't know how the Parasound rejects jitter though, I'm not sure.

To be honest I think the clock upgrades to transports are snake oil but that's my opinion. I hear the difference when I expect to hear it and I sometimes I wish I didn't (it would be cheaper that way).
dt880smile.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I already have the oppo and am using it currently -

I'm not sure how much difference I'll really see in upgading the clock in one of these, and whether I'll feel that it's worth the money.

I've been told it may cost $200-500 to make the big jump to a reasonable upgrade.

I'd love to hear some feedback on whether people think that having a bteter clock for transport than this is worth it - to what extent is it worth it etc

As well as whether playing around with the oppo like this is a good idea, or, should I shop for a nice used transport instead?

And... what kind of difference is made? What do I end up hearing. I've been told it sounds more natural. Vague term. Scares me that it may be similar to "smooth".. also a vague and varied term.

Thanks

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the answer depends on the jitter rejection of your DAC. For example on a Benchmark DAC1 or Bel Canto DAC3 there will be no difference that I can see since the large majority of the jitter will be rejected. I don't know how the Parasound rejects jitter though, I'm not sure.

To be honest I think the clock upgrades to transports are snake oil but that's my opinion. I hear the difference when I expect to hear it and I sometimes I wish I didn't (it would be cheaper that way).
dt880smile.png

Well I'm an ex Bel Canto DAC2 owner, which had the same type of jitter reduction circuits as used in the DAC3 and Benchmark DAC1.
Despite that, I can happily state that moving from a DVD player to a dedicated transport resulted in an improvement, as did improving the CD transport in question (a Meridian 500) with an improved clock, vibration control and an improved power cable. All IMO of course...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back