Upgrading iaudio M3 by June
Feb 8, 2007 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chris_ah1

500+ Head-Fier
Right, I am now starting to look for a new HDD MP3 player and just a few basic questions.
a) Are there any other devices that have line out than the iaudio line, iriver and ipod?
b) Is there any device that I could use straight without an amp with my UM2s hiss free?
c) Gapless? Just X5 rockboxed or ipod 5.5G?
d) Is the ipod really about 20hours now and is the X5l above that with rockbox?
e) Will iriver be releasing a 60 or 80GB variant of their ihp line?
f) Will iaudio be releasing a 600GB or more variant of their X5L?

Basically, what i want:
GAPLESS, no noise in line out or headphone out, and if there is noise in the headphone for the line out to be pure. Drag and drop file management (3rd party software ok for this). I don't need to get music off, just getting it on.
LOOONG battery life. Over 20hours preferrably.

Devices that meet the bill:
ipod 80GB

devices that almost fit the bill:
iaudio X5L: would ideally need a bigger HD.
iriver ihp140/340: would have to ugprade HD and battery
frown.gif

kenwood player: only 30GB and no line out
frown.gif

I should note that I have about 27GB of 'essential' music. Preferrably I would like to haul around the complete set - 27GB excludes all my AAC stuff, messiaen, webern, wagner, cage, berg etc (stuff that you don't want on the beach). The total amount goes up to 35GB.
so sure, 40GB would be enough, even 30GB at a pinch, but I have nowhere to grow.

Ideas/suggestions???

Just a note - I pretty much detest the ipod bandwagon in general, but now it seems that their player spec wise hits the mark. I used to have creative zen and now iaudio M3 which at the times were better than the ipods. Now, I'm not so sure I can resist......

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 3
If you're willing to wait till June, there is CeBit in March (Cowon had better announce an X5 successor!)

Myself, I am willing to wait till the autumn to see what Jobs will do before parting with my £
tongue.gif

P.S. Why do people use the "I don't want to be a sheep" reasoning? I've never owned an iPod but that hasn't been the reason why. Seems kinda... I don't know. No biggie, just a small comment from me, I don't want a flame war

Feb 8, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 3
It wasn't about the I don't want to be a sheep per se - it has always been that i didn't want to be a sheep going for an inferior product. I'm happy being a sheep for the right player.

Even though the ipod80GB fits everything I need, I still want to consider the rest and not just dismiss them.

Yeah, hopefully X5L replacement will be here soon.........I just hope there is no HD noise through that device's line out like there is with my M3 now.

Ultimately I would much prefer to feel that i have a 'choice'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back