Upgrading from TF10s
Jul 9, 2010 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Averruncus

Head-Fier
I got my TF10s as my first pair of top-tier IEMs a while back and have seemingly rediscovered music! Everything seemed better and clearer then anything I have ever experience, truly, it brought tears to my eyes.

But then I started getting used to my TF10s and recently have been able to hear more and more of its flaws. Then I discovered this website... which turned out to be a very depressing due to my discovery of the SM3s.

Anyway, back to my question. I need opinions on a possible upgrade for my TF10s. Whether SM3s are a significant jump from TF10s. Whether I should go for custom molds (JH13pro is at the top of my list). Whether I should get a portable amp even though I probably don't need one (Headstage Arrow). Whether I should get headphones instead (ATH-M50 and Fischer Audio FA003 although i get the impression that SM3 trumps them).

As for my budget, its tiered at $100-300 for next month purchase or SM3 in a few months or JH13pro in a year's time.

I listen to mostly J-rock/pop but enjoy movie soundtracks a good bit. I play my music out of my Cowon J3 unamped. Thanks for any advice!

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 9
Never tried the TF10s, but I can tell you from personal experience that the SM3s work beautifully unamped from a Cowon J3.  I can't see that you'd be at all disappointed with them, but I'll leave it for those who've tried both iems to comment fully.

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 9
Now there is also the fischer audio DBA-02 to consider... I doubt anyone has both DBA-02 and SM3? The DBA-02 is much cheaper and seems to perform almost(?) as well.

I'd also like to know how SM3 stacks up against full sized cans... I recently auditioned the ATH-M50 and though they sounded awesome! Even through my unamped J3 (although, many things have sounded great through my J3...).

Currently leaning towards getting Arrow HE + FA003 and SM3.

Jul 10, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Slaters70 has owned both SM3 and DBA2 so you might want to PM him, oh and I know he also had the TF10.

I have owned the TF10 and now own the SM3. The SM3 is a MASSIVE upgrade to the TF10 in my opinion. It has better comfort, more balanced sound especially in the midrange, and has a much better sound stage. All around it simply kicks the TF10 in the rear musically.

I am actually feeling more and more that IEM journey is over as I have no got the sound I was wanting all along.

But the TF10 does have the replaceable cables which the SM3 does not, for me this is not a huge concern though.

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 9
JH13Pro willbe better because it's also has advantage of JH3A(crossover) and many says here, it's the best sounding combo in this pricerange(it will beat many fullsize headphone setups).

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm actually looking more for a portable setup, something to compliment my Cowon J3 so JH13pro + JH3A is probably not for me.

Thanks dweaver for the info! Now i feel more and more inclined to buy a SM3 but I'll probably hold for awhile since my friend is getting one. I'll audition it then and see if the difference first hand...

Is there seriously NOTHING out there that can compare with or is a significant upgrade to SM3? (IEM-wise of course, I'd be surprised if it compared to top tier headphones.... does it?)

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 9
I haven't owned top tier headphones just mid-fi (AT AD700/900 Senn HD600) and I think the SM3 is better than those 3 headphones. Average_Joe has a Beyerdynamic T1 which is the top of the line Beyer so you might want to PM or read his thoughts on the SM3 and the T1 in the SM3 impressions thread.

By better I mean the SM3 is better balanced  (those 3 headphones all specific weaknesses in their sound spectrum) and has much better detail and as good as or better instrument seperation. The sound stage is different than those headphones and stand on it's own for me in that it is more of an immersive sound stage placing you at the center of the music but can depending on the recording have a large field of play.

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 9
Hmmm... I guess the bigger question for me now is whether to get the SM3 (since the euro is low now) or hold out for a JH13pro or possibly JH16.... After reading some reviews I have a feeling I would like the JH13s more but its a question of whether its really worth the price vs the SM3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back