Upgrading from PK-1 (need suggestions)
Jun 30, 2008 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Capunk

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I wanted to upgrade my portable setup, and this time I decide to give IEM a 2nd chance, as I hated my previous Ety's ER-6i.

I'm looking for an IEM that:
- A decent upgrade from Yuin PK-1, as I really love the PK-1 sonic characteristic, I'm totally hookup with how it's sounds.
(My PK-1 will be passed to my GF, for her new DAP)
- Tight, good, and catchy Bass. (I admit, I'm a bass lover)
- Slightly forward presentation, good soundstaging,
- Practically I'm looking for fun headphone rather than analytical. \
- Comfort

I dislike my ER-6i because it's too cold, analytical and uncomfort.
My ears get fatigue for every 5 to 10 mins continuous listening.

My music preferences are: Acoustics, Rock, Pop, Instrumental, Classics.
Budget? reasonably around 200 to 300 bucks, and currently what on my mind, Shure SE530 or UE Triple.Fi 10.

So based on my specification, which IEM should I get?

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 10
Man, beating the PK-1 is pretty hard to do if youre staying within portable. I would suggest you try out the RE-1 from head-direct. Its very comfortable and sounds pretty natural with good bass. But, you should try to go to a meet and try out some IEMs to get a feel for what you like.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 10
Ah I forgot to specify my portable equipments:

DAP:
- iMod 4G
- (maybe) Sandisk Sansa Clip

AMP:
- Xin Supermacro III v6 (2x BUF634 + 2x OPA627)

And I just miss a head-fi meeting that just around recently
frown.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 10
I had a Supermacro IV a while back and I thought the er-4p/s matched extremely well with it (with the bass boost), and its a big step up from the er6i, so you should keep the er4p/s on your list.

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 10
Yuin OK1 more of the same. They do not function well as canalphones, but in earbud mode they are incredible...

The mids of the PK1s and OK1s are hard to match in a IEM. The RE1s probably come the closest, but they are still a bit behind.

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 10
The RE1 are darker than the PK1. The RE1's have big soundstage, total smoothness towards every kind of music. The two downsides are the vocals, a bit chesty (the PK1 have it too, but to a lesser extent), and the recessed upper mids and treble, that makes the total sound a bit too relaxed, especially when coming from the Yuins.

The OK1 have better vocals than the PK1. The PK1 have more midbass that's less accurate but gives more energy. The OK1 don't give more of everything, they are different, more accurate and refined, but don't share the same sound signature of the PK1.

If you are going to listen to an advice, if I were you I'd get the OK1 to try a slightly different flavour, and then keep the one I like better. Otherwise... I have the RE1 for sale.
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 10
So not much choice? -_-
I guess I'll wait for the wireless sennheiser earbuds, and if it's not as good as what ppl expected, I'll just go for SE530.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back