Upgrading from Ipod classic to Marantz cc4001 - need advice!!!
May 1, 2008 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ghoul

Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm considering a source upgrade and would like some opinions. My current setup is the Ipod classic (320kbps files) going through the LOD; to a Little Dot MK III and my grado RS-1's. I've read countless times about how important source is, and am now contemplating a upgrade.

I am looking at a Marantz cc4001 as a dedicated cdp. My question to you is. If I upgrade to the Marantz, will I see any noticeable improvement in SQ to merit its purchase?

May 1, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 14
anybody....

Well it doesnt necessarily have to be the marantz. I just want to know if the upgrade is worth it. Going from a dap as a source like the ipod. To a dedicated cdp as a source. Even though I know the marantz is entry level. Any opinions are welcome.

May 2, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 14
I am fairly certain than a dedicated CD player will sound better than an Ipod. I havent heard the cc4001, but I have heard the Classic, and based on the cc4001 specs, you should definitely see an improvement.

May 3, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 14
thx, I appreciate the input. Now I just have to wait to get my rs-1's back before I make my purchase. Unfortunately the metal rod that holds the driver cup got loose fell off. I know I could of just glued it back but figured since I'm still under warranty; might as well use it.

May 5, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 14
I'd put the money into a headphone or amp upgrade. As far as I've read, digital source upgrades will improve the sound most noticeably in the area of soundstage or bass impact, which are not really the strongest points of the RS-1. Even if you do notice them, the improvements will be much more subtle than changing your headphones to something with difference sound signature. This is true for amps too, to a little lesser degree because you already have a decent amp. Maybe you could consider going DIY and making an upgraded SOHA. Maybe consider getting an entry level vinyl setup like a Technics SL-1200, because this will give you a very difference presentation of the music. The point of diminishing returns for the price with source upgrades is much faster than headphones or amps.

When people say source is important, it's more a matter of principle rather than practicality. People want to be as sure as possible that they are getting the most of the material before they spend lots of money amplifying a distorted signal. However, the reality is the almost ALL the sources that people on this site will use or recommend are accurate enough to make an extremely enjoyable system.

So, my advice is to use the money where it will make more of a difference in sound quality. At the very least you should not buy a new CD player without testing it out yourself and making sure it will make SOME difference in your system.

May 6, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3_arun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd put the money into a headphone or amp upgrade. As far as I've read, digital source upgrades will improve the sound most noticeably in the area of soundstage or bass impact, which are not really the strongest points of the RS-1. Even if you do notice them, the improvements will be much more subtle than changing your headphones to something with difference sound signature. This is true for amps too, to a little lesser degree because you already have a decent amp. Maybe you could consider going DIY and making an upgraded SOHA. Maybe consider getting an entry level vinyl setup like a Technics SL-1200, because this will give you a very difference presentation of the music. The point of diminishing returns for the price with source upgrades is much faster than headphones or amps.

When people say source is important, it's more a matter of principle rather than practicality. People want to be as sure as possible that they are getting the most of the material before they spend lots of money amplifying a distorted signal. However, the reality is the almost ALL the sources that people on this site will use or recommend are accurate enough to make an extremely enjoyable system.

So, my advice is to use the money where it will make more of a difference in sound quality. At the very least you should not buy a new CD player without testing it out yourself and making sure it will make SOME difference in your system.

Great input, thx for the insight. In my case, I dont think upgrading my rs-1 is in order. It's everything I could ask for. I may in the future try a different brand for the sake of experimentation. As for a amp; I'll be looking into a Mapletree in the future. I think an entry level cdp is the way to go at this time. I'm curious as to the improvement over my ipod.

May 6, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 14
The Marantz 5001 has gotten great reviews that say it is a real bang for the buck! If I were you I would definitely upgrade my source.

I am raising funds to upgrade to the Marantz sa8001 from my Sony ce595.

The sound you hear is my wallet scampering for cover..........

May 7, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 14
Wow! I ended up getting the Marantz cc4001 yesterday, along with my rs-1's. Through them together with the little dot Mk III, and let the sonic goodness roll. I was hoping for at least some subtle difference, but to my delight was treated to something much more. For starters I had to lower the gain on the Mk III due to the 4001's higher line out ouput. Next, the sound was just more dynamic, lush, and a bit more bass impact. I'm really enjoying my current setup.

Now I think my wallet can rest....for how long is another matter.

May 7, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 14
Enjoy! I found the same thing happened when I moved from an iPod to a dedicated CDP.

RogerB: I went from the CE595 to the SA8001 about 18 months ago. You'll be happy with that, very happy. It's a great deck.

May 7, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy! I found the same thing happened when I moved from an iPod to a dedicated CDP.

RogerB: I went from the CE595 to the SA8001 about 18 months ago. You'll be happy with that, very happy. It's a great deck.

Very evil Uncle Erik
biggrin.gif
Dont' get me thinking on that SA8001. Then again I just saw the price tag
eek.gif
Somewhere down the road perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back