Upgrading from HD580/SR225.
Apr 13, 2006 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Target1

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy all,

I have tentatively come to the decision to upgrade my current system if it is economically viable. By upgrade my system I really just mean upgrade my cans. I just purchased a Gilmore Lite, and I'm very pleased with it. Further, I'm using an older Kenmore CD player, and it suits me just fine at the moment. What I would like to do is sell the following equipment:

HD580
SR225
Portable Headsave Classic (Built in Norm's very last batch, and modded to run on 9-volts).

I figure I can get roughly $120, $140, $140 respectively, and since I really can't afford to dump any more money into this hobby (about to start financing law school) my total budget will run $400. On the whole I like the combo I have because it is pretty versatile. I can listen to both rock and classical, and both are great, along with everything in-between. I also do a bit of gaming, and find that the amped 580s have a fantastic sound stage and have worked really well, though my gaming time is about to evaporate in all probability. Given all this, does anyone have some ideas for a decent can? I've though about RS2s, but figured they might not be able to do everything that I want. I've also considered the CD3000s because they seem to be pretty highly rated. Will either of these synergize with my glite? A source upgrade is probably about 3 years off if that is a consideration. If you think that what I have is good, please don't be afraid to say that because status quo may be the route I go.

Thanks a ton,

Target

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 12
Like the old saying goes: "Better the Devil that you know, than the Devil that you don't know."

I would, in my opinion, stay with what I had!

You may or may not get in any gaming in the next few years.

Nice to have the right cans if you do.

You know and are satisfied with the SR225S? So are lots of other folks. The 225s seem to be a favorite of the Prestige set. Seems like a shame to perhaps dispose of something that may be replaced with something less enjoyable.

My headphone CD player is an old second generation DVD player with a fairly elaborite headphone stage that works just great also!!(ok, my portable CD rig is pretty sad though.)but I'm in no rush to be rid of the old DVDer.

You seem pretty happy with what you have!

A good closing argument!

I think you may have answered your own question!!

Apr 13, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 12
Youre in a tough spot... G-lite, HD580 SR225 all are VERY good values... IMHO these represent the BEST values at their respective price points.

Youre fighing the law of diminishing reutrns, and IMHO its almost always a loosing battle for the budget minded listener.

Sennheiser:
I for one wouldn't scale up to an HD650 unless youre after a bass-heavy presentation, and gently rolled off highs. I for one find the HD580 treble more enjoyable than the 650. IMHO the 650 sounds incredible with an M^3, but Ive never heard one with a G-lite. You would have to sell both the 225 and 580 to afford the HD650. I would rather have the 225/580, a much more versatile setup thats easier to drive.

Grado:
same thing... You would have to sell the 225 and 580 to afford a 325i / MS2 or used RS2. Not the best thing if versatility is your goal.

in essence youre trading versatility for a quality improvement. I would rather have the versatility.

Good Luck!!
Garrett

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 12
I had a whole bunch of stuff typed up... but then I realized it was exactly what kramer just posted, so listen to him.

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 12
If I were you, I'd stick with what I had..... but that is no fun is it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by l_simon_l
If I were you, I'd stick with what I had..... but that is no fun is it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Agreed on all points.
wink.gif
I would move on to something where a small investment can achieve more (here this would mean trying to find an upgrade for the cans in my portable and bedside-fi setups). Something like, say, grab a decent soundcard and try out computers-as-sauce
wink.gif
, provided the comp is sufficiently quiet. Maybe get a decent cartridge for that old record player gathering dust (if present), or simply look out for good music (new or preferably used).

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
I had a whole bunch of stuff typed up... but then I realized it was exactly what kramer just posted, so listen to him.

Me too...

Had some stuff to add here too, but Kramer already has said it!!

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Youre in a tough spot... G-lite, HD580 SR225 all are VERY good values... IMHO these represent the BEST values at their respective price points.

I totally agree with this, as does everyone else. Honestly, I don't know if there even is an upgrade from the SR225. A friend of mine has them and we were comparing them to my RS-1s. We concluded that the RS-1 is better, without a doubt, but it still may not be as "fun." It's more of a horizontal move than a vertical one.
As far as the HD580, yeah, you could definitely improve with the HD600 or HD650, but not by much. You have to listen very hard to hear it and the difference between the HD600 and HD650 is a matter of personal preference.
So, stay with what you have. You've got a great set-up.

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 12
When I read the title of this thread, I thought exactly what Kramer did. You have the best bang for the buck right now. I am going to have to agree with Kramer also.

Apr 15, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks a ton to everyone. Every time I made a purchase it was slowly and deliberately with a lot of advice around here in mind. I guess that means I just did it the right way first time around. I'll start saving for a source, and see when I can put together enoughmoney.

Thanks again,

Target

Users who are viewing this thread

Back