Upgrading from Grado SR80, listening to Progressive Rock, Jazz, Acoustic, Classical
Apr 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Gerbil

New Head-Fier

Around 250$-300$, what would be best for Progressive Rock/Metal, Jazz, Acoustic, Classical?
I currently own a Grado SR80 set.
For ordering from Israel, the prices would be as follows:
hd598 290$
a900x 305$
ad900 275$
q701  324$
etc...

Any absolute best choice for my music types?
BTW, I don't have any dac/amp to match, thinking about a Maverick Audio D1 or something...

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 18
HFM he400=$360 with coupon code from moon audio (not returnable if you use coupon code). These would be fantastic with the kind of music that you like.

GL!!

Oh, I just got the Maverick today and I'll let you know how it sounds and how it pairs with the he400. See review in my sig.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #4 of 18
thanks a lot!
though, after a 47$ shipping cost and an extra 16% Israeli tax, they would be a bit too much to spend on. How does the "little brother" HE-300 compare? is it on par with the rest i stated? It's more similar in price..

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 18
The first release was not great and just had a weird sound-he300. The second release has better sound although I have not heard them. If you are looking to spend less consider:

Denon d2k for about $225 conus. Fantastic hp and better than the he300 for less money.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 18

For your genres, assuming you actually like the SR80 in the first place - prepare to go backwards.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:

For your genres, assuming you actually like the SR80 in the first place - prepare to go backwards.

AD900 is interesting if you like the AT house sound but the AKG Q701 will require a great source and amp to
 sound at it's best - I'd consider a second hand RS1i or MS-Pro if the buyer is willing to declare it as a $50 headphone.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 18
I do like the sr80 quite a bit, but they simply couldn't handle layered music very well when I compared them against A900's (amped by a Little Dot). I felt as if they lack "resolution". Furthermore, when playing loud stuff like metal, they tend to be a bit noisy and "low-res" as well. Maybe some amping would help better than different headphones?

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
I do like the sr80 quite a bit, but they simply couldn't handle layered music very well when I compared them against A900's (amped by a Little Dot). I felt as if they lack "resolution". Furthermore, when playing loud stuff like metal, they tend to be a bit noisy and "low-res" as well. Maybe some amping would help better than different headphones?

I'd suggest a two way path - unless you want to try a different sound signature and wish to consider the risk of time and money that comes with that then
 the 225i will offer you some meaningful gains in terms of resolution, separation and detail - everyone will tell you that tubes are the way with Grados
 but a carefully implemented solid state solution will always offer more grip over the pace and rhythm of the music and the bottom end will be
 better defined and less bloated.

One box solution might be best - difficult to suggest something meaningful though if the range is limited and taxes are high in your part of the world.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #10 of 18
Actually Grado's are very reasonably priced in Israel, part of the reason why i bought the SR80 in the first place... I can go out and grab an SR225i for ~230$
What do you mean by "one box solution"?

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Actually Grado's are very reasonably priced in Israel, part of the reason why i bought the SR80 in the first place... I can go out and grab an SR225i for ~230$
What do you mean by "one box solution"?

As in a DAC / Headphone Amplifier in the one chassis, this generally keeps costs down compared to seeking out an individual DAC and Headphone amp.

How about the CEntrance DACMini if you can specify that you want the 1-ohm output impedance version (usually they have 10ohm output which can play
 around with the frequency response on a Grado)? 

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Those grados are pretty easy to drive. So amp isn't needed. Coloring the sound with an amp makes it pretty expensive EQ...

More about the source mate and the amp simply being part and parcel of that package - sitting there and pretending that a good
 FLAC or WAV file of one recording through something that has excellent jitter reduction like the DACMini via USB and assuming that
 the same WAV file on the iPod sounds the same is just misinformation - that $4.20 DAC in your Apple iPod is not going to compete.

Another solution would be the Cypher Labs Algo Solo DAC - not cheap, but it's not until you hear one paired with a reasonable portable amp
 that you realise how crap the DAC is inside your latest Apple device.

Tested one last week with a mate's RS2i - he's not a real Head-Fier he just wanted a pair of RS2i's for his iPad and iPhone S -  he practically fell
 over when he heard the CLAS - he was not expecting such a lift in separation, detail and smoothness in his music.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 18
problem is my sound card makes a ****ty dac and my old akai stereo makes a ****ty amp, so i was thinking of getting either a fiio e10 or to step it up with a maverick audio d1.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
problem is my sound card makes a ****ty dac and my old akai stereo makes a ****ty amp, so i was thinking of getting either a fiio e10 or to step it up with a maverick audio d1.

The E10 is one option - the new Asynchronous Nuforce u-DAC2 is another - bit nicer than the E10 for a USB powered little DAC/Amp.

Otherwise - Maverick D1 could be the go, does not really exist here in Australia (no one imports it far as I know)
 but there appears to be a tonne of praise for it on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back