Upgrading from AudioEngine A5s to Adam A7s?
Nov 26, 2010 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

t1337Dude

100+ Head-Fier
Would this be overkill for just listening to music? I don't mix or anything like that.

EDIT: Or should I just do a safer upgrade and try Yamaha HS80Ms or KRK RP-8G2 Speakers?

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 5
The adam a7 are very neutral and sound very good; in top of that they are not too big; they are nice computer speakers.  The Yamahas are also very good, but they have bigger subwoofers and are big boxes.  You may want to take a look at the Yamaha MSP7, which is a bit smaller and still sounds great.  Depends on the space available and budget.  Havent heard the A5's; dont know if the change will be significant.

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 5
I was in a similar situation a while ago, except it because I couldn't stand the lack of clarity on the Audioengine A5's.

I wanted a significant upgrade, and the two main monitors I looked at were the Adam A7's and the Dynaudio BM5A. If you look into them a bit, you'll find that the A7's are sort of a love it or hate it ordeal in terms of their sound, mainly because of that ribbon tweeter. The Dynaudios, on the other hand, are extremely well regarded and easier for most people to like.

I ended up with the BM5A's and don't regret them one bit. They are miles better than the Audioengines.

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 5
I'll be saving for active monitors soon to go with my new Mac Mini (and DAC) and as far as Adam's go, the new A3X and A5X are what I'm looking at, although obviously I'll be looking at what else I can get in the price bracket too. The AX series have a different ribbon tweeter which is generally seems to be more love and less hate compared to the previous gen. The A3Xs are a nice size if your desk is short on space too, although being the smallest of the lot they won't be chucking out deep bass (by most accounts they provide a pleasing amount for general listening though).

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I was in a similar situation a while ago, except it because I couldn't stand the lack of clarity on the Audioengine A5's.

I wanted a significant upgrade, and the two main monitors I looked at were the Adam A7's and the Dynaudio BM5A. If you look into them a bit, you'll find that the A7's are sort of a love it or hate it ordeal in terms of their sound, mainly because of that ribbon tweeter. The Dynaudios, on the other hand, are extremely well regarded and easier for most people to like.

I ended up with the BM5A's and don't regret them one bit. They are miles better than the Audioengines.

I decided to wait on the A7s, and opted to get some KRK RP8G2 Rokits. I'm glad you found your Dynaudio's to be a significant upgrade, because I've had people tell me that I shouldn't be looking at studio monitors to upgrade from my A5's, as they were designed only mixing. I don't see how that's bad. Closer to neutral, the better, I say. Does anyone here have any idea if the Rokit's I bought will be a significant upgrade over the A5s? I have Auralex Mopads to tame the bass a bit, and with it I'm getting an M-Audio Firewire Solo DAC, to use instead of my Auzentech Forte. I'll be using XLR-TRS wires to hook them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back