Upgrading from Atrios
Jan 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dilemmalyn

New Head-Fier
Is there anything better than the Atrios in terms of bass and isolation under $400? Any help would be greatly appreciated (I have lurked this site every time I decided to replace the Atrios).

I really like the heavy bass (I listen to techno/house) and the great isolation using Shure olive's. I need my new headphones to be equivalent or better, and am having a hard time discerning between the IEM's below from the multi IEM thread (thanks ljokerl!)

Audio-Technica ATH-CK90Pro
Jays q-JAYS
Monster Turbine Pro Gold
Westone 3

I'm leaning towards the Westone (does more expensive necessarily mean better?) I read the Westone vs Atrio thread and it seems that Atrios still win in terms of bass? How durable are the Westones?

Background: My 4th pair of Atrios finally broke and I want an upgrade. 1 lost and 3 broke (once replaced for free under the warranty, once replaced at 1/2 cost) - they have great customer service but this is getting a little silly. Granted the first 2 times were due to hard use (like rolling a chair over the earbud) but this last time I was at the gym and the left side died. And this time I was careful, always keeping them in the case etc. Am I just a clumsy fool? I have read a couple other durability issues on this forum.

Also, I know there are a thousand threads about the Atrios. I am asking specifically about isolation and durability in something with comparable bass. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 10

I've not heard the Future Sonics Atrios, but i just got their custom flagship, the mg6pro, which is supposed to be a better version of the Future Sonics house sound, so I imagine that the ATrios would sound similar in terms of sound signature.  Based on this, how much i LOVE the mg6pro, and the panoply of great reviews i've read about the Atrios especially the bass, my guess is that there are few sub-$400 IEMs that are better than it in the bass department.  
The Westone 4, for me, is very tinny and weak, with very anemic bass.  The Westone 3 is supposed to be heavier in the bass, but i've not heard it.  i think part of the problem with Westone IEMs is that the nozzle is way too short for me, so I couldn't get good placement of the pieces.  but the Westone 4, i think even with optimal placement, is still weak in the bass.  
The MTPC is very immediate, with a lot of dynamic sparkle, and has good bass definition and impact, but, from the descriptions i've heard of the ATrios, my guess is that the MTPC's bass is not as strong in terms of high-quality + high-quantity bass.  The MTP Gold might be closer, as it's bass is supposed to be more enhanced than the MTPC's.  
The Brookstone Clear DUal DRive, which has the same driver design as Radius's DDM, IMHO, sounds incredible for the price of only $70.  In fact, I like it better than the MTPC, [of course the WEstone 4], and the TripleFi 10.  It has awesome bass [it has a 15mm and a 7mm dynamic driver] and a VERY expansive, engaging, musical sound.  The Radius might sound better.  the DDM1 is supposed to be the ridiculously bass-heavy version, i think it goes for around $200, and the DDM2 is more balanced and it goes, i think, for something a bit under $300.
I like the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10's bass, but it sounds different from dynamic driver bass.  it doesn't go as low and doesn't rumble.  but i do like the bass punch that it gives.  
As for as IEMs that i have NOT heard [only read about]:
From what I've read, the Victor JVC FX700 has awesome bass.  i don't know the price, though.
I read a review on the Sonocore Cindy [dual dynamic driver], and i think the reviewer really liked it, including the bass.
the Sennheiser IE8 seems to have a reasonably large following, and it's known for its bass.
Atomic Floyd has a model called HiDef drums and the SuperDart, which seem like they could have good bass.
Of note, If you are able and willing to spend more than $400, there are many custom IEMs that, based on reliable reviews, have awesome bass [in addition to awesome overall sound].
hope this helps.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 10
The universal Atrios by Future Sonics will give you deep sub bass and it will give you more of it then the expensive JH 13 Custom made earphones (which I have as well). The Westone 3 (which I have) has nice bass but can become muddy and crowded in the meds and highs compared to the Atrios. The Atrios have hard deep bass and due to it being a dynamic driver the bass will also feel different compared to the BA drivers. I do like the Westone 3 especially compared to the W4 which I think had a different purpose. I feel the W4 like the JH are trying to be neutral and clear. A week ago I placed a order for the Future Sonics customs because of the joy I have been getting from their universals.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 10
If you put W3 with a rubber tips deeper you will have better bass. Not mid bass, all bass:)
They has beautiful mids and great soundstage plus instrumental separation.

Also read about Sennheiser IE80. Lot of WOW-reviews:)

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 10
Yes I agree with you. I use the Shure foamy tips on the W3 but compared to the Atrios the Atrios will go way deeper in the bass department. You cant go wrong with either one for bass. I just received my custom made Atrios (Future Sonics) these now even goes lower and hits harder so hard my ears feel they were punched.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 10
I would suggest everyone who has the Atrios which I say has more bass then the JH16! Go for the silicon custom tips. I have been using the foamy tips which fit and feel great but the custom tips are even better.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 10
+1 on the IE80s. I own both the Atrios and the IE80s. One note on the IE80s, the fit is SUPER important, took me 3 days to nail it down.

Quote:
If you put W3 with a rubber tips deeper you will have better bass. Not mid bass, all bass:)
They has beautiful mids and great soundstage plus instrumental separation.

Also read about Sennheiser IE80. Lot of WOW-reviews:)

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I would suggest everyone who has the Atrios which I say has more bass then the JH16! Go for the silicon custom tips. I have been using the foamy tips which fit and feel great but the custom tips are even better.

I would agree with this. The Future Sonics SofterWear sleeves are a great investment. The seal is really tight and increases the bass but not at the expense of the rest of the sound. I've since moved on to the MG6Pros, which are at a whole other level, but they are outside your price range. In some ways, however, I think the Atrios with the SofterWears are a more balanced sound. Anyone want to buy my Westone UM2s? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back