Upgrading from ATH-A900X
Mar 14, 2018 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

blitz9826

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! First post, please be gentle.

I'm currently using my ATH-A900X cans as my portable cans while I use HE-400i at home. I *really* love these cans, especially since my XD-05 came in, but I'm wanting to move on to a new pair of cans. The problems I'm facing, however:

1. Soundstage: I really love the amazing soundstage on these, and I want my new pair of cans to be as good if not better
2. Fit: It can't be another wing system, It's the single thing that's pissed me off repeatedly about these cans
3. Modding: This is optional, but I'd love to be able to upgrade the cable and pads
4. Price: Arguably the most important part. The max I'm willing to spend is $400 tops.

I wouldn't mind a used pair if it would be an amazing set, but logistics is a problem since I'm all the way in Pakistan. Ideally I wanted to go for MrSpeakers Aeon, but at twice my budget for a new pair it's out of reach at present.

I've considered the PM3, DT-150, KEF M500, Sennheiser HD380 Pro, and AKG K550. I honestly can't choose. I was expecting the PM3 to be amazing quality but I couldn't find a direct comparison to the A900X. I also took a gander at Yamaha HPH-MT7, but since they're monitoring cans I'm not sure they're for me. I loved my MDR-V6 cans but I feel that the A900X.

Thanks in advance!

blitz

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 7
Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind modding my A900X to have a headband if it's possible, but I can't find such a thing. I don't hate my cans at all, it's just the wings piss me off too much, and I'd love a detachable cable if possible (or at least some way to go balanced).

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 7
What source are you plugging the XD-05's into, when on the move?

Mar 17, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm currently using USB out from my Xiaomi A1 with HiBy Music Player. I *really* have come to despise stacking, but I don't have any alternatives at the moment either. Maybe if we get a Granbeat Mk2 I'll consider the jump.

Will do serman, thanks!

Mar 17, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Hey guys! First post, please be gentle.

I'm currently using my ATH-A900X cans as my portable cans while I use HE-400i at home. I *really* love these cans, especially since my XD-05 came in, but I'm wanting to move on to a new pair of cans. The problems I'm facing, however:
1. Soundstage: I really love the amazing soundstage on these, and I want my new pair of cans to be as good if not better
2. Fit: It can't be another wing system, It's the single thing that's pissed me off repeatedly about these cans
3. Modding: This is optional, but I'd love to be able to upgrade the cable and pads
4. Price: Arguably the most important part. The max I'm willing to spend is $400 tops.
I wouldn't mind a used pair if it would be an amazing set, but logistics is a problem since I'm all the way in Pakistan. Ideally I wanted to go for MrSpeakers Aeon, but at twice my budget for a new pair it's out of reach at present.
I've considered the PM3, DT-150, KEF M500, Sennheiser HD380 Pro, and AKG K550. I honestly can't choose. I was expecting the PM3 to be amazing quality but I couldn't find a direct comparison to the A900X. I also took a gander at Yamaha HPH-MT7, but since they're monitoring cans I'm not sure they're for me. I loved my MDR-V6 cans but I feel that the A900X.
Thanks in advance!
blitz

I replaced the stock ear pads on my ATH-A900X with Hifiman HE ear pads, as they are thicker and make a slightly tighter grip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back