Upgrading, but in which order?
Jul 28, 2008 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

garthfluff

Head-Fier
Hey, Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm currently using a creative zvm as my portable source with a pair of UE super.fi 5 pros. The zvm is on it's way out and I'm just looking for a bit of a change, and a more serious portable rig. I'm thinking about upgrading to a set of Live wires, 80gb 5.5g Ipod (possible Imod down the line), RSA RS-71a and some form of line out dock. However I can't afford all of this at the same time. What would be the best order to get this gear in? In terms of a significant improvement over what i have already?

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 6
The most significant improvement will come from the new headphones.

After that, the improvement in convenience and size from the iPod.

The amp won't make a big difference.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 6
I agree that the IEM is going to have the biggest effect on the sound, and am tempted to suggest you pick your IEM first and match it backward, but I wont...

I think the traditional rule is better... Source first. If you're going to do the imod, do that next. This is where you should look at the IEM. The problem is, some IEMs need an amp, and the amp can make a lot of difference.

Then again, if you absolutely fall in love with something, start with that.

Meets are a great place to listen and try things.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 6
if ur going for a rig go amp, source phones

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if ur going for a rig go amp, source phones

I have to disagree. Unless you're in this with the specific aim of getting an iPod > amp > IEM rig (rather than getting a rig that sounds very good for the same money), getting the amp first is not the way to go. Better IEMs unamped beat worse IEMs amped every time.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to disagree. Unless you're in this with the specific aim of getting an iPod > amp > IEM rig (rather than getting a rig that sounds very good for the same money), getting the amp first is not the way to go. Better IEMs unamped beat worse IEMs amped every time.

I'm after the best portable sound quality, I'm only interested in carrying an amp if it gives an improvement in sound quality. Are UE5's worth the additional money over Live wires? There's no way i could afford anything over that at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back