Upgrade woes
Nov 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

garthfluff

Head-Fier
I'm currently running my laptop with all my music encoded with FLAC into a Fubar III to a set of HD650s. I have to say, I've been happy with this set up for about 18 months now, but after a lot of reading, I feel I could be getting a lot more. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Lavry DA10, and from what I've read, This should be a very very significant improvement.

However spending this much on anything always makes me a bit weary. I sit listening to my music thinking, how much better can it really get? I've never heard anything past my set up. So I'm going out on a bit of limb to get the Lavry, but from what I've heard, it should be perfect for me.

Basically all I'm really looking for is some positive upgrade stories to try and calm my woes here. Anyone got anything to share?

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Upgrading is a process that many attempt, many are happier with the upgrade, and eventually, there may be the urge to upgrade further. I very carefully plan my upgrades.

I.e., Teac reel-to-reel to Revox reel-to-reel
BSR turntable to Yamaha turntable to Thorens turntable
Sony bookshelf speakers to BIC towers to AR 2AX's to Quad Active 12L
Koss Pro 4AA's to Grado SR-60 to Grado SR-325i
AKG 301 to AKG 701
Adcom amp/preamp to McIntosh integrated amp
Onkyo cd player to modified Marantz cd player to Philips LHH1000 cd

Upgrades sometimes get silly. I upgraded to stiff gourmet locking interconnects (not good--damaged a subwoofer and a passive preamp when disconnecting them).

Go with your upgrade and enjoy it. One piece of advice is to buy good quality gear used if you can--oftentimes you can resell it and not take a loss (or too much of one).

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 11
will the "actual"(measurable) difference be huge? probably not. there is a huge psychological component at play in this hobby... but youll think that you have better sounding gear, so therefore, it will sound better.

the Lavry is nice, wasnt for me, but again, it is probably more psychological..

Quote:

Originally Posted by garthfluff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently running my laptop with all my music encoded with FLAC into a Fubar III to a set of HD650s. I have to say, I've been happy with this set up for about 18 months now, but after a lot of reading, I feel I could be getting a lot more. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Lavry DA10, and from what I've read, This should be a very very significant improvement.

However spending this much on anything always makes me a bit weary. I sit listening to my music thinking, how much better can it really get? I've never heard anything past my set up. So I'm going out on a bit of limb to get the Lavry, but from what I've heard, it should be perfect for me.

Basically all I'm really looking for is some positive upgrade stories to try and calm my woes here. Anyone got anything to share?

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 11
Part of me wants to just continue to be happy with my Fubar and HD650s and just dump all the money for the Lavry into CDs, because, to be honest, that's what's it's all about really.

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 11
You can get better sound I'm sure. The Lavry however is quite expensive. You could also settle for something a little cheaper. But you know.. In the end you will have that Lavry, so why not get it now?
redface.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get better sound I'm sure. The Lavry however is quite expensive. You could also settle for something a little cheaper. But you know.. In the end you will have that Lavry, so why not get it now?
redface.gif

You make a very good point. I looked into a few DACs in a much lower price range. However, that would only loose me money in the long run when I end up selling them to buy the Lavry. I've always been in the school of though, buy the best you can while you can afford it. And it saves you money in the long run. That's what I tell myself at least.

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 11
Of course, try to listen to the Lavry before purchasing. If you are buying new try and get a 30 day trial so you can return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Phill

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, try to listen to the Lavry before purchasing. If you are buying new try and get a 30 day trial so you can return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Phill

I've managed to get a 14 day trial from a studio company here in the uk. Should be arriving in the next 2 days. I hope I'm impressed by the performance. From everything I've heard, it should be a massive step up from my current set up.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by garthfluff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've managed to get a 14 day trial from a studio company here in the uk. Should be arriving in the next 2 days. I hope I'm impressed by the performance. From everything I've heard, it should be a massive step up from my current set up.

Good luck and have fun with the Lavry
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope that cures your upgratitis. Looking forward to hear your comments about the Lavry and would like to see a comparisation
smily_headphones1.gif
Not much for the equipment, but I am one of those non-believers
wink.gif
that sometimes wonder how that much money can make just such a small difference in sound.
And I mean difference, not better or worse.

Again, good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck and have fun with the Lavry
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope that cures your upgratitis. Looking forward to hear your comments about the Lavry and would like to see a comparisation
smily_headphones1.gif
Not much for the equipment, but I am one of those non-believers
wink.gif
that sometimes wonder how that much money can make just such a small difference in sound.
And I mean difference, not better or worse.

Again, good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm approaching this upgrade with the maximum amount of scepticism, and to be honest, it not sounding earth shatteringly good will save me a bit of cash. So we'll see what happens when it arrives. I'll try and work together an accurate comparison between the Lavry and my Fubar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back