Upgrade to mid-end...
Dec 1, 2010 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

hkmix

New Head-Fier
Yes, I know, this seems like a silly first post to make, but trust me, I've lurked for a long while, and I've been stockpiling potential next-buys. Anyway, for Christmas my father has allowed me to spend $200-250 CAD on a set of headphones, and of course, I don't want to be leaping into decisions; before you tell me, I have read reviews, but I'm not sure on what brand to go with. Here's what I've been listening to, and the sources I've been using:

Headphones:
  1. Grado SR60i - Love the Grado signature (I listen to a ton of -groan- pop, and the highs are great), though a little more tamed highs wouldn't hurt. Soundstage makes me want to stab something though.
  2. Shure SE115 - Isolation is great, highs a little lacking, bass welcome, but again soundstage is pretty weak. This would be a 3/10 on most scales, I'm guessing.
  3. (heard) Klipsch S4 - Didn't really like these as much as my SE115s for some reason, maybe it was the noise or something, but they seemed pretty bland to me (not that I don't like neutral sounding phones, but the S4s were pretty boring).
  4. (heard) Other crap sold at major electronics stores for ~$100-200 - Crap. Worse than my SR60is by far. I know that list is pathetic, but that's why I'm upgrading.

I've been eyeing the market for some time, but I'm not exactly sure what I want yet. I'm playing through my Clip+ RB, my laptop T510 (also looking for a USB sound card, but that's another story), and my cellphone 5800 XM.

I kind of want to upgrade to the MS-2is or something else of the Grado line, but I'm disappointed with the soundstage of the Grado phones, so I'm not sure if this will be the best idea. Plus, I do kind of want something closed so I can use it outside and not look crazy (with the SR60is which are enormous). I live in Canada, but will obviously be able to purchase things online. Also not too afraid to look into getting things second-hand as long as they're clean, although I would prefer first-hand. Is the price range too low?

Sorry for long post, but any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT:
In short:
What I want - headphones for ~$200-250 (amazing deals for just over the range can be considered)
What I need - good soundstage, detailed highs, clean lows, balanced mids (Grado signature is fine)
What I use - Clip+ RB
What I've used - Grado SR60i, SE115

EDIT again:
Despite the fact that I was looking for a closed set of cans, I am now thinking about buying the MS-2's or the 325i's, if I can get a decent deal on them. Worth the rather painful hit on the wallet, or are there better choices?

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 31
Bumping for great justice, because I've pretty much decided on either 225i/325i/MS-2 unless someone has a better suggestion for me. Out of these three, which is generally preferred? My price range is ideally ~$250 but I can hit $300 for the 325i/MS-2 as necessary. Help?

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 31
The best Grado's that I've heard under $500 are the SR225i's. That would be one choice. What amp are you using? What music do you prefer?

I did buy the SR325is thinking they were an upgrade to my SR225i's...I was wrong. I quickly sold them off to help fund my RS-1s.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:
The best Grado's that I've heard under $500 are the SR225i's. That would be one choice. What amp are you using? What music do you prefer?

I did buy the SR325is thinking they were an upgrade to my SR225i's...I was wrong. I quickly sold them off to help fund my RS-1s.

As of now, no amp, but I can get one if that becomes necessary; I'm driving with a Clip+, and the SR60i's sound decent without them. I listen to mostly pop; between the MS-2s and the SR225i's, which one is better overall?

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 31

Quote:
Quote:

As of now, no amp, but I can get one if that becomes necessary; I'm driving with a Clip+, and the SR60i's sound decent without them. I listen to mostly pop; between the MS-2s and the SR225i's, which one is better overall?

MS-2 is a more balanced sound, while the SR225i is more true to the fun Grado house sound. Pick your poison.

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 31
Between the SR325is and the SR225i, I would definitely go with the former, especially if you value clarity and sparkle. The SR225i is a fine headphone, but I could barely distinguish it from the SR60i with L-cushions on it.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 31
Hey, I've got a (Lenovo) T510 too!  I'm running a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's with a uDAC from the T510.  Paid under $300 for both, the 'phones used and the DAC/amp refurb'ed.  FWIW I think the headphone jack on the T510 is actually decent quality (despite being combined with the mic jack), although it's so underpowered that it can't achieve normal listening levels.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of Alessandro MS1i's to complement the HD 600's, as a more portable option (and different sound, of course).

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 31
None of the Grados are really going to give you a good soundstage.  The  Audio Technica AD900 will give you what you are looking for. If you don't want to spend that much then go with the AD700 or DT440.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 31

If you don't want to spend that much then go with the AD700 or DT440.

This is good choice. DT440 is kinda between sennheiser and grado: you got more upfront sound (more upfront than senn but less than grado), medium soundstage (more than grado but less than senn), some bass (again, more than grado). Its kinda jack of all trade for fun, upfront sound.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 31
 Quote:
None of the Grados are really going to give you a good soundstage.  The  Audio Technica AD900 will give you what you are looking for. If you don't want to spend that much then go with the AD700 or DT440.

The AD900 is ~$270 shipped, which I can definitely afford (seems to be the regular price, anyway; I'm seeing a difference between the AD900 and the AD900LTD -- is the visual difference the blue vs. black exterior?). It seems to be low-impedance/high-sensitivity enough to not need an amp, but should I get one anyway (FiiO E7?)? How big of a step up is this from my lowly SR60i's? =P

Also, what of AD900 vs. DT990 vs. DT880?

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 31
As of right now, I've decided on either the DT880/250 or the DT990/250/600, and I'm slightly learning towards the DT990 since my music (pop) is pretty bass and treble oriented. Would the Fiio E7 be enough to drive either one of these, and between the 250s, which is better for me, in terms of soundstaging, slighly emphasized highs (Gradoish signature) and lows?

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #12 of 31
That sounds like the 990s to me. The E7 would not be enough to drive them, but the E9 definitely would be. E7/E9 for $200 and pretty much covers all your bases. Portable amp, dac, and desktop amp. The E7 is unnecessary if you already have a good soundcard or have an LOD for your sources (like I have Sansa Fuze with LOD that I can hook up to the E9's line in).

If  you can't afford an amp after the 990s, I wouldn't advise it as they definitely need amping to get anywhere near good.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #13 of 31
I just got the 325is and love them.  I personally don't find the highs fatiguing, they have noticeably better bass than the 225is, and better( although not much better) soundstage.  Also no bull**** pleather pad :p

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:
That sounds like the 990s to me. The E7 would not be enough to drive them, but the E9 definitely would be. E7/E9 for $200 and pretty much covers all your bases. Portable amp, dac, and desktop amp. The E7 is unnecessary if you already have a good soundcard or have an LOD for your sources (like I have Sansa Fuze with LOD that I can hook up to the E9's line in).

If  you can't afford an amp after the 990s, I wouldn't advise it as they definitely need amping to get anywhere near good.

The E7 can't drive the 250 ohm?

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 31
I'm just a noob in the audio world, but here's something I can tell you from being on this forum and researching headphones heavily for the past month, people's opinions on this board and about audio in general vary a lot and the opinions are drastically different even for the same questions. One person will say it will sound terrible with an E7 while someone else will say it sounds fine without one. Same thing for headphones. People are biased towards whatever setup they have so if they have a certain headphone, they will trash the competition or recommend their own products over others even if the other audio gear is actually better for the buyer. I'm not saying Mad Lust Envy is crazy in this case, but when he says the DT990s won't sound good at all without dropping $200, that is pushing it. In short there is a lot of craziness in this forum.

To answer your question, the DT990s will still sound very good without an amp, but with proper amping, it'll sound that much better. I keep hearing the E7/E9 combo is good so maybe you get the E7 now and save up for a E9 somewhere down the road?

Quote:
Quote:

The E7 can't drive the 250 ohm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back