Upgrade to HD580s
Aug 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 12
A suitable desktop amp to drive them properly?
Depends on what you're currently using for an amp.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 12
Have you gotten HD650 cable and HD600 grills for them? It's a cheap, popular upgrade for the 580. But yeah...source & amp upgrade definitely seems like the investment to make.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 12
You could get an Audio-gd compass then you have a good amp/dac combo. I really wouldn't recommend upgrading the cables until the very end because for the money you spend on them, the change in sq will be much more subtle than if you were to spend that money on an amp/dac/soundcard/source.

Edit: Unless you're just getting an hd650 cord. That's fine since it's cheap!

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 12
quadruple, quintuple agree on the source and amp upgrades. For the longest time I ran a pair of hd580's using either my old headroom air head, or a d2 boa I borrowed from my friend. When I got a real desktop amp with some power I finally saw what people were raving about with the hd580's.

On a side note, if you do have a good source and amp, I'd suggest trying headphones with different sound signatures, that will either help you appreciate what the hd580's can do or discover what they are lacking (and will thus lead to more purchases/trades)

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 12
Agreed. The HD-580 is a fine headphone - put your money into a desktop amp if you don't have one.

If you do have a good amp, maybe take a look at turntables. $500 is enough to get started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back