Upgrade to Fiio E10
May 31, 2012 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

KimChee

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a usb DAC/amp that is an upgrade to the E10 that I can listen to music on my computer.  Ive been reading through a lot of threads but not really sure what to get.  Preferrably under $200, less is better.  Thanks.

May 31, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a usb DAC/amp that is an upgrade to the E10 that I can listen to music on my computer.  Ive been reading through a lot of threads but not really sure what to get.  Preferrably under $200, less is better.  Thanks.

What headphones are you using?
Do you listen to music? watch movies? play games?

May 31, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 18
Mostly just music.  Ive seen recommendations for the O2, but I've also read it lacks bass which concerns me.  My plan is to move up to the Denon D5000 as a final HP upgrade.  I wouldn't mind listening with my JH16, but it can be picky, and not looking to spend a ton..

May 31, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
Mostly just music.  Ive seen recommendations for the O2, but I've also read it lacks bass which concerns me.  My plan is to move up to the Denon D5000 as a final HP upgrade.  I wouldn't mind listening with my JH16, but it can be picky, and not looking to spend a ton..

I'm guessing the Fiio E10 will do a fairly decent job of driving the D5000.
There are some threads dedicated to the O2 (Objective 2), try asking in those threads if the O2 is lacking in bass.
As your planning on getting a new headphone amplifier, have you come up with a budget for a DAC?

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 18
I think Fiio E10 is a good Dac but not a good amplifier. If you could, you should buy Fiio E10 and buy another amplifier to shine D5000 significantly because you know the amplifier function of Fiio E10 is just like an add-in function for my HD598. It can drive my HD598 at decent volume but the sound quality was not as good as I tested my HD598 at an audio shop near my house so I am saving money to buy a separate AMP.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 18
I'd like to spend around $200 or so I think.  I'm not really sure what I want as far as choices, the C421 looks nice, but it's just an amp.  The Leckerton is both but has no bass boost. Don't laugh, but I'm using my E11 right now and it sounds pretty good, too bad it won't charge and amp at the same time..

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 18
I will not laugh at you, KimChee and why I have to laugh at you. We are almost the same, trying to seek sound quality economically. Fiio E11 is a good portable amplifier at a good price so if you have already had an amp then buy Fiio E10 to let them synergy together. 

If you could then do this test. Firstly, using D5000 with Fiio E10, then using D5000 with Fiio E11 and finally using both three of them to find out which one is a good combo but I bet the third option is absolutely best among them.

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
I'd like to spend around $200 or so I think.  I'm not really sure what I want as far as choices, the C421 looks nice, but it's just an amp.  The Leckerton is both but has no bass boost. Don't laugh, but I'm using my E11 right now and it sounds pretty good, too bad it won't charge and amp at the same time..

Bass boost function on E10 behaves nothing like E11. It doesn't boost sub-bass but more a mid-bass emphasis and would not be stronger than E11's boost overall, However I found the E10 a nice upgrade to my E11, it sounds a little brighter and can easily drive higher volumes. The E11 feels a little congested a times whereas E10 felt much more airy. I'm actually looking for the sound of the E10 in a portable device.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 18
Hey, question here 

LoveKnight, you mention buying the e10 and then an amp to bring out its full potential. Now that sounds all good and well, however i heard that amping an amp can led to quality issues. Do you know anything about this? or does the e10 just really do nothing to amp and that thinking just doesnt apply. thanks in advance.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
Hey, question here 

LoveKnight, you mention buying the e10 and then an amp to bring out its full potential. Now that sounds all good and well, however i heard that amping an amp can led to quality issues. Do you know anything about this? or does the e10 just really do nothing to amp and that thinking just doesnt apply. thanks in advance.

The E10 has a line out on the back that bypasses the amp.  When using the line out the E10 acts as a DAC only.

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

For a DAC
Used Xonar DX or D1 sound card $55
Muse DA20 $55 (eBay)
SMSL SD-793 $60 (eBay)
DAC Destroyer, USB DAC $50 (eBay)

For an amp.
SMSL SAP-100 $65

For $13 you can get two spare batteries and battery charger for the E11 (eBay).
Just get one of the DACs from above and plug your E11 into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back