upgrade the little or move on?
Jul 24, 2002 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently am using a headroom little with senn hd 590 run through a sony dvp550 dvd/cd player using teds excellent cable extension, question is:upgrade the little with the more power source, or move on to a better, higher end amp? what do you think???

Jul 25, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 23
That's not a bad setup you got there.do you feel that there is room for improvement?Are you happy with the sonics?What can you afford?

In your case I would upgrade the phones first.I think the HD600/580 are superior in most ways to the 590s.I have only been able to enjoy the 590s after a cable swap.I think the upgrade pathe with the Headroom amps is sufficent and I would keep that amp until I knew I could afford the best.

Jul 25, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 23
I agree with tuberoller. The HD590s is descent phones, but since you already have a good amp, you would benefit most from the HD580s or HD600s. Their superior drivers and higher impedance will produce better sound versus an amp upgrade. I believe the 590s are 150 ohm, and therefore much earier to drive, so the amp is not as important (they can even be drive reasonably without an amp).

Jul 25, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 23
Ditto!

I'll join the two previous posts from Tuberoller and Markjia and recommend that you upgrade your phones to HD580's or 600's and keep the amp.

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 23
I perceived a hf rolloff with the base 2001 Little so I wonder if the HD590 (which I perceived as a little bright) might be a better mate to that amp than the 580/600. Just a thought.

I'm curious to see which way you end up going with it. Are you thinking about the Premium module upgrade at some point also?

Jul 25, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 23
Maybe, I'm turning into an amp snob, like Kelly, but I believe the only 2 solid-state amps to consider right now for someone who is serious is the Maxed Out Home, or Sudgen Headmaster. Depending what your tastes are. Do not consider the Headroom Home. Spend the money for the Maxed Out Home. I feel it's the gem in the Headroom line.
As for your headphones, that's for your ears to decide. Some people like the HD-590s better than the HD-580/600s. Good luck!

Jul 26, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 23
actually I was thinking of moving on to the HD600 phones in the future, maybe I will try that first and see what the difference is, as far as the amp I don't know much about the Sugden, but upgrading the little with the better power source is always an option, I don't personally know anyone who has done it and what kind of difference it makes. thanks, ph.

Jul 26, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 23
I'd suggest that you do one thing at a time:

Upgrade your phones. If you like the result, leave it be. Else you'll be pouring money for infinite upgrades, trying to get that elusive je ne sais quoi.

If you like the phones, but are not completely satisfied, I'd conduct upgrades in the following order:

1. Phones
2. Source
3. Amp
4. Cables

I think that the first thing on the list will make the biggest difference, the last thing will make the most subtle difference.

Jul 26, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 23
i would get the cardas cable and a pair of hd600s. that'd be a pretty big upgrade, in my opinion, although i haven't heard that setup. then i would probably buy the base station and get the reference module processor. or if you really want to spend the dough, you could get the maxed out home reference, but before i ever did that i would definitely upgrade the source..

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 23
Waitwaitwaitwait. This is the Sony DVP-S550D, that you're using, right?

RUN, don't walk, to your nearest Arcam dealer. Ask for a CD72 or CD62 (the only difference is you can't upgrade a CD62 to a CD92). Buy it. Take it home, plug it in, and realize how much your source sucked.

That's what I did. Before I got my Arcam I was using the exact same source. Trust me when I say it is in dire need of upgrading. The difference is night and day. The Arcam makes everything so much clearer and alive... When I heard the last movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony on the Arcam, I was sold. From that point until I could afford the Arcam, I had difficulty listening to the S550D.

The S550D is the major bottleneck in your system, if you like the 590s.

Next on the list would be to get the HD580s or HD600s with Cardas cable.

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 23
crescendo
I'm not a snob, I'm just a cost/performance enthusiast!
smily_headphones1.gif

For me, anything short of the Corda HA-1, you're must better off with DIY stuff. After the Corda, I agree that the Sugden and MOH are worthy considerations, though one could make a case for the Cosmic.

This is more of me being a snob...

eric
I sure hope you intend to upgrade your CD72.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 23
Kelly: You like watching me spend money. Don't you.
biggrin.gif

And yes, I'm going to upgrade it someday... but first I gotta upgrade the output stage. TL072? Blech.

Jul 28, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 23
i don't think the source is the weakness in this sytem(if there is in fact a weakness),the phones are the next obvious upgrade and then I would upgrade the source.It's easy to get on the amp swapping bandwagon and almost impossible to get off.I think your greatest satisfaction will be found in a headphone upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back