Upgrade: RS1i or HF2? Coming from a woody SR225
Sep 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

koven

15 Hz + 150 dB = poopy pants
Hey guys, I have a headphile woodied sr225 w/ blackmax cable.. i really like the sound and i'm looking to upgrade

i'm pretty much set on either the rs1i or hf2 unless someone could convince me otherwise.. it will be used with a pico and wa6.. most of my songs are 320 or flac

they will be used strictly for music... what i enjoy most are vocals, both female and male.. also, i love good instrument separation especially in rock... bass isn't that important cus i have my hd650's if im in that mood

just wanted to see what you guys think... hopefully someone has jumped from an sr225 to either the rs1i or hf2 and can provide some thoughts on the improvement

thanks

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 17
they're both great phones, it just depends on personal preference as to which you'd prefer. I'd say go for the HF2 if you have a chance, because it won't be easy or cheap to get them down the road, and there's a million RS1's out there.

If you like the way the treble sounds on your 225, but want it more refined, then RS1 might be for you.

But if you want it more refined and also toned down, so that it isn't as bright/harsh/ in your face, then the HF2 would be better because it sound much more balanced

edit: since you have HD650, which treble do you prefer between it and 225? I'd say the HF2 is in between in terms of quantity

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 17
thanks for the info, i know they're both great and i'll probably be happy either way.. but i need to decide somehow!

i prefer the 225's treble over the 650's because it's more forward.. but i do prefer the 650's overall presentation more.. i think mainly because it's warmer/smoother

are you suggesting the rs1i and hf2 are pretty similar except for the treble? hf2 is a bit more tame? i don't really want another hd650-type treble.. i do like the forwardness of the sr225's, just wish it was a warmer sound

any idea how they differ in bass/speed?

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 17
I think the HF-2 is what your describing and wanting in terms of separation and resolution I really believe it's the winner...though I'm not comparing it to the RS-1i but the RS-1 that I've listened to....also the HF-2 wins when many instruments are playing during a song...in other words there isn't the congestion that I hear on the RS-1...the HF-2 is almost an improvement to my ears on the RS-1 and a real steal @ the price and the icing is that it's a highly coveted collectible. Also, keep in mind that I'm comparing the HF-2 stock to my SAA Equinox recabled RS-1 which went for double the price of the HF-2!

Also, I'd add that what the HF-2 does for the drum kit playback is awe-inspiring....I mean cymbals, toms, bass kicks, etc sound so accurate and defined...also it wins in imaging.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 17
the HF2 definitely doesn't have HD650 treble, but it's a lot smoother than the RS1 or SR225. I'd say the RS1 has a warmer midrange than the 225 and a general euphonic quality over the 225, but it still has treble that is just as crazy and unchecked. The HF2 somehow manages to sound really foward and aggressive, but not harsh at all. And it deosn't roll off anything to achieve that smoothness. Quite an accomplishment actually.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 17
my vintage rs1's had no crasy unchecked treble. my rs1i's don't either. neither did my ps1's, gs1000's, k1000's ed9's hd650's hd580's e500's etys porta-pros etc etc etc. the old sr 325 were a little strident but not my 1996 rs1's or my new rs1i's.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 17
well your source is an ipod apparently
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, rd, you must be right. seeing as you've heard it all i mean.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me or what you're trying to say, but if rhythmdevils is hearing ragged treble when using an ipod source that's not really surprising.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if you're referring to me or what you're trying to say, but if rhythmdevils is hearing ragged treble when using an ipod source that's not really surprising.

oh, sorry, rd(short for rhdev), not rds. see his profile for what i was referring to.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #12 of 17
You seem very offended Analog'd, and seem to be trying to say that no headphones have crashy or unchecked treble (you say etc etc etc as if to include every headphone). This is not my experience, I find a lot of popular head-fi headphones have very crashy harsh treble. As far as being offended, I did say "lucked out", in other words, meant no offense. And I have heard almost everything at various norcal meets, what should I say? Not trying to brag or something (as if hearing lots of headphones would make me cool...
biggrin.gif
)

I could plug the GS1K into a bloody brick of gold, and they'd still sound painful. They're just not my cup of tea but I'm not a low volume listener that's got something to do with it I think.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 17
I'm not sure if you were able to nab that pair of HF-2's that were available today for their original price, but if so, I think you scored a nice deal.

That being said, if you value air and separation highly, I suspect that you'd prefer the RS-1.

I quite like the HF-2 so far (only arrived yesterday), but I do wish it had a little more of the RS-1's air and soundstage.

Personally, I haven't heard the RS-1 for quite a long time, and even then it was under meet conditions, but I would really love to have the chance to compare them to the HF-2 directly.

I'm pretty confident that they're in the same basic league, quality-wise.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You seem very offended Analog'd, and seem to be trying to say that no headphones have crashy or unchecked treble (you say etc etc etc as if to include every headphone). This is not my experience, I find a lot of popular head-fi headphones have very crashy harsh treble. As far as being offended, I did say "lucked out", in other words, meant no offense. And I have heard almost everything at various norcal meets, what should I say? Not trying to brag or something (as if hearing lots of headphones would make me cool...
biggrin.gif
)
I could plug the GS1K into a bloody brick of gold, and they'd still sound painful. They're just not my cup of tea but I'm not a low volume listener that's got something to do with it I think.

I overreacted at the end of a long day yesterday, but the caveat you included above of "not my cup of tea" rings a lot different to my ears than the post I was reacting to last night. my sincere apologies for reacting instead of replying. I did not give you the benefit of the doubt at all, and shame on me.
the "etc etc" business was just my being too lazy to list every can i've owned that did not drill a hole through my head with it's high end. and it is apparent from posters citing overly intense treble energy from grados that both break-in and source are essential in being able to enjoy them with no awful highs. however, the number of posters who have found this to be a problem with grados (ouside the orig. 325's which many many could not love) i have to beleive is far outnumbered by the legions of grado headphone addicts who love the grado house sound in all its coloured glory and who obviously do not receive a treble beating from them in their set-ups.
and of course there are different strokes for different folks.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #15 of 17
well I wanted to tone it down a bit
biggrin.gif

I do have a tendency to feel a bit of disbelief when someone can not hear what I hear in a phone like the GS1K, as it is so far from what I want in a headphone. Would you agree that they do have exaggerated highs, but that you want that in a phone, and so it sounds really good to you? Or would you say that it sounds very even in it's response?

I personally prefer a rich midrange with highs that are detailed, but don't take over the mids. Which is the opposite I think
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back