Upgrade recommendation: Audigy ZS to X-Fi, or USB DAC instead?
Jul 12, 2006 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tomjonesrocks

100+ Head-Fier
This whole USB DAC vs. soundcard thing seems very contentious--but I actually would like my PC to maintain *some* gaming capabilities while upgrading the audio. Although I probably listen to music about 20 times more often than I play games--invariably when friends are over they start gaming on my PC.

Anyway, with that the case, if I want to realize the next rung up in sound quality, am I most likely going to see a greater improvement upgrading to an X-Fi over my Audigy ZS, or am I better off just leaving in Audigy ZS for gaming, and going to a USB solution for music with a Fubar II / Total Bithead / Zhalou / Micro DAC, DAC-AH (if that's even USB) etc...?

Hard to decide based on what I've read. Thanks!

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 11
This thread is in the wrong forum, and it's a little redundant.
wink.gif

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188116

Jul 12, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 11
USB DAC hands down. I'm listening to the built in DAC in my Dared MP-5 using Foobar + ASIO4ALL and I am not believing how good this thing is sounding right now. It has changed my impression of computer audio altogether.

You Audigy should handle all the gaming you need, all this X-Fi stuff is Creative trying to milk you some more.

Jul 12, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
USB DAC hands down. I'm listening to the built in DAC in my Dared MP-5 using Foobar + ASIO4ALL and I am not believing how good this thing is sounding right now. It has changed my impression of computer audio altogether.

You Audigy should handle all the gaming you need, all this X-Fi stuff is Creative trying to milk you some more.

You say that like you have no experience with the x-fi, so answer this question, do you own one, used one, or have owned one previously? I think the x-fi is a stunning preforming card and great improvement over the audigy.

Jul 13, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
You say that like you have no experience with the x-fi, so answer this question, do you own one, used one, or have owned one previously? I think the x-fi is a stunning preforming card and great improvement over the audigy.

I see here you have the "Elite" card, and looking at the different options for the X-Fi it seems like I need to at least spring for the Platinum to get the optical out (if I ever *did* want to go to an external DAC from this). And if you go to that you are starting to get near the price point of a few USB DACs. Perhaps I'm mistaken though. Was initially considering just the "Extreme Music" as it's fairly inexpensive.

Selling the Audigy on Ebay would probably get me $30 back or so though.

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 11
You don;t really have to spring for the platinum unless you want the bay connectors. Most DAC's have a coax input so you can use a 3.5mm mono mini (from the X-FI XM) to RCA (to the DAC). I have a link in my sig for the S/PDIF cable, and I use the Belden 1505F version.

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by device manager
You don;t really have to spring for the platinum unless you want the bay connectors. Most DAC's have a coax input so you can use a 3.5mm mono mini (from the X-FI XM) to RCA (to the DAC). I have a link in my sig for the S/PDIF cable, and I use the Belden 1505F version.

Yeah, listen to this dude. I'de advise against the platnium or fatal1ty, they are a load of BS imo as the breakout box is in a stupid spot, and the card is identical unlike the elite pros which has an upgraded card over the xtrememusic, platnium and fatal1ty.

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 11
OK -- thanks for all your help. Went with just an X-Fi XtremeMusic--for $111 with no tax and free ship with 30 day return policy through amazon.com (plus minus whatever I can sell my Audigy for) just too easy and affordable an upgrade to pass up.

Can always go to USB later I suppose--those USB DACs are very tempting (but also more expensive).

My first real "upgrade" since joining head-fi. Doubtful it will be the last.

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks
OK -- thanks for all your help. Went with just an X-Fi XtremeMusic--for $111 with no tax and free ship with 30 day return policy through amazon.com (plus minus whatever I can sell my Audigy for) just too easy and affordable an upgrade to pass up.

Can always go to USB later I suppose--those USB DACs are very tempting (but also more expensive).

My first real "upgrade" since joining head-fi. Doubtful it will be the last.

Heh, then you can't blame us for the damage done to your wallet :d.

Remember, usb dacs are not the most popular here, they have jitter and everything. It is wiser in most scenarios to just use the output on your sound card like the xtrememusics spdif output. Although you may not realise it, the flexijack is really a coaxial jack, you just need an adapter or special cable which isn't too hard to come by.

Jul 14, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Remember, usb dacs are not the most popular here, they have jitter and everything.

Careful not to generalize jag, the higher end USB dacs are quite popular here and are of exceptional quality. I think you might be talking about the cheapo USB dacs out there, which should not be considered in any case. Some headfiers love the USB dacs from M-audio (including myself).

If sound quality is of primary concern, alot of people have noticed that USB dacs tend to have lower noise because of the fact that the circuitry is outside of the PC. Just my two cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back