Upgrade my Koss PortaPros
Nov 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

scarf

New Head-Fier
[size=small] Hi Headfi. Love this forum, even though I'm brand new here! Anyways, as I said in the title I would love to upgrade from my PortaPros. I think they're a great pair of headphones, but I know there's better out there if I'm willing to shell out the dough.[/size]

[size=small] What I really like about my PortaPros:[/size]

[size=small]
  1. Comfort: They sit right on my ears and I barely feel them. I thought the big flat cushions would be uncomfortable when I first got them, but the lack of clamping force against my ears make them really perfect.
  2. Lightness: The headband is so thin and small that there is no weight pushing down on your skull
  3. Sound quality: The open back feature of the PortaPros make them immensely awesome when listening to acoustic guitar. You can hear the strings like you're in the room with the artist.

[/size] [size=small] What I don't need in upgrade:[/size]

[size=small]
  1. Portability: I love that the PortaPros are portable, but it's not necessary for the next set. I'll still have the PortaPros for that!
  2. Isolation: I don't mind if sound leaks out, in fact I'm pretty sure the fact that the PortaPros are open back makes me like the sound so much.

[/size] [size=small] What I'd like to upgrade:[/size]

[size=small]
  1. Sound Quality: Like I said, I love the sound quality already, but I'd like to see if I could get a bit more clarity and detail.
  2. Cable: It's a little thin and small and doesn't look that durable
  3. Looks: They're kinda garish, but this isn't a huge deal.

[/size] [size=small] Thanks in advance for all your help![/size]

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 7
The V-Moda M80 is a great sounding headphone that is quite comfortable.  It is an on-ear design so keep that in mind when deciding.  They are a touch too bassy for my tastes, but I found them a noticeably upgrade from something like the HD-25-1-ii.  Plus they are super nice looking and come with an awesome case.  Cost $200

The B&W P5 is another great sounding headphone with style.  It is leather and an on-ear headphone, but I find it more comfortable than the M80.  It has a more neutral sound compared to the M80, but lacks bass punch.  Cost $200 or less

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 7
The V-Moda M80 is a great sounding headphone that is quite comfortable.  It is an on-ear design so keep that in mind when deciding.  They are a touch too bassy for my tastes, but I found them a noticeably upgrade from something like the HD-25-1-ii.  Plus they are super nice looking and come with an awesome case.  Cost $200

The B&W P5 is another great sounding headphone with style.  It is leather and an on-ear headphone, but I find it more comfortable than the M80.  It has a more neutral sound compared to the M80, but lacks bass punch.  Cost $200 or less

Aren't the M80s closed back and sealed? The P5s sound nice. Some people say they're more style than substance. Do you think that's true?

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Aren't the M80s closed back and sealed? The P5s sound nice. Some people say they're more style than substance. Do you think that's true?

P5 are nice sure, but they're not my top pick for a "fashion headphone" (I really hate to use that term with the P5, they sound better than probably 95% of other fashion headphones) - for that, I'd look at the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 (which really get away from the "fashion headphone" thing entirely, and a true hi-fi headphone in their own right - the fact that they just happen to look better than anything sold as a fashion accessory is gravy).

But you said none of that matters, so we can expand that to include other really good options, including a lot of open-back headphones, like:

- Grado SR-225i and SR-325i
- Ultrasone HFI-2400
- AKG K701

Really depends on your specific sound preferences as to which is going to be the best match for you. I'd also throw the Koss DJ100/TBSE onto your list as well - especially if Tuesday Morning still has the TBSE for $50!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back