Upgrade my girlfriends headphones from ex51s?
Mar 1, 2007 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

b00tang

Head-Fier
About a year and a half ago I bought my girlfriend some Sony Mdr-ex51s (I didn't know any better at the time, I swear! And at least they were better than the ipod buds!!!).

Now that I'm getting my feet wet on head-fi, I'm feeling more and more guilty letting her walk around with those sonys. She popped my vibes in and said "wow I can tell that these are much better than mine".

So I'm thinking that it might be time for her to upgrade again, but I don't know if she needs to jump straight to the ~$100 catagory of vibes and E2cs and the like.

I'm considering getting her some cx300s, she mostly listens to her nano when she is at the gym, but I bet she would appreciate something better (and hopefully recognize the improvement).

So has anyone tried to upgrade a girlfriends headphones in a similar situation that can offer an opinion on the matter?

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 20
If I were you I'd get her the Vibes actually. For a number of reasons, some of which are not head-fi related.

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 20
If I were you, I wouldn't buy CX300s. They don't sound better, they just sound different. However, the difference isn't big, all in-ear earphones with 8/9mm dynamic driver sound comparative.
If I were you, I'd buy Shure E2cs. They sound undoubtedly better than EX51s. They also provide better sound isolation.

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 20
hmmm I guess you are right, getting her the vibes does make a lot of sense, but it may be pretty hard convincing her to let me spontaneously spend $100 on headphones for her. That is why I was shooting for a cheaper pair in the short term.

If things in the range of the cx300s aren't that much better then maybe I'll have to wait until I'm making the damn dirty dollars before I can take her to the next step in headphones. And if there is one thing I have learned for sure it is that getting her vibes for a christmas/birthday present would be the WRONG move. It would be like getting her a bowling ball with "HOMER" written on it if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 20
Given the fashion flavours of the Vibes, it might be better to talk to her about them and the colour choices. If she seems excited about one colour, then go for it. If she seems cool to the idea, then you have $100 to spend on something else!!!

Steve

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 20
Seriously, get her the vibes.

Never cheap out when it comes to the girlfriend.

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 20
As long as it's expensive it will do. Hence: get the vibes.
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 20
if expensive was where it is at there are plenty more expensive headphones on the market lol. I believe vibes can be had for around 70 if you look around carefully (amazon had them for that much at certain point).

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 20
Why nobody mentioned ER6 anymore? Is Vibe much better than Ety? Or is the vibe is not fully IEM like Ety which make it more comfortable to live with?
NEO

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 20
1. Vibe is better (more musical).
2. Vibe is more comfortable.
3. Vibe is more stylish
4. His girlfriend expressed liking the Vibe.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 20
if you don't buy her the vibes, she might not like them and could have a reason to be upset.

personally i would give her my vibes and upgrade my own phones
smily_headphones1.gif
but you might get slapped. idunno, tell her you cleaned them.

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #15 of 20
haha actually I'm a pretty lucky guy in that my girlfriend gets mad at me when I buy her things that are expensive. I'm still a grad student so she gets worried when I spend my money on her (so buying her headphones just because they are expensive won't fly).

I guess now that i know cx300s aren't that great freeZ5 had one of the best ideas: talk to her about the vibes.

as much as I'd like to think its as easy as "buy her expensive things and she will be happy" I know that its really: buy her the right things and she will be happy.

If I spend $100 on headphones she will say thanks but might secretly think "damn I could have got something I actually really wanted with that $100"

But the price of the cx300s... I mean what is that really going to get you these days anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back