Upgrade headphones or buy amp?
Nov 12, 2008 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Randolph Duke

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Ultrasone pro900's.
I like them enough that I am now curious to get my hands on the ED9.
(I would have to sell the pro900's and come up with the difference in $$)
Is the money better spent on the better headphone or should I go for a headphone amp instead?
I don't think i could swing both.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 6
Well, if the two have similar sonic characteristics (house sound), then I would recommend finding an amp that creates a good synergy with the pro900s. This will feed your upgraditis for a good while, since you will hear improvements, but if you feel like getting the ED9s later down the road, you will already have an amp that will have good synergy with them, as well.

$0.02

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if the two have similar sonic characteristics (house sound), then I would recommend finding an amp that creates a good synergy with the pro900s. This will feed your upgraditis for a good while, since you will hear improvements, but if you feel like getting the ED9s later down the road, you will already have an amp that will have good synergy with them, as well.

$0.02

Quoted for truth.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 6
You already like the 900s, and you will like them more with an amp. You don't know whether you like the Ed. 9s yet, amplified or otherwise.

Personally, I think you'll reap more sonic benefits by upgrading to the Ed. 9 first, but it's something of a risk as you don't know if the sound will be to your liking. So really, it's a question of whether the risk is worth it to you.

For what it's worth, I think the Ed.9s sound pretty good unamplified. Their sound is pretty lively both amped and unamped.

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 6
i'm leaning towards agreement with the responses, but what is your source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back