Upgrade from TF10, RE0?
Feb 23, 2010 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

rudyzhou2

100+ Head-Fier
It is time to try some different sources/earphones again!
smily_headphones1.gif

I mostly listen to female vocals and recently have gained an interest in classicals cheers XD

I am looking for a noticable upgrade from TF10 and RE0 in listening to those genres but I believe that customs are the only way to see much difference judging on what i have now?

My source is IPC + T3/PICO

I have also heard that Zen Nomad Jukebox Xtra (great for listening to pure music) / Sony HD5/ Iriver H1xx have great LOs and pair well with good amps.. so I am thinking abt changing the source as well

So any recommendations? The problem is I am looking for a relative large noticable difference so I dont know which d probably give more difference, changing the source or upgrading the earphones more?

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 19
You won't really be upgrading unless you go for something like the JH13's, everything else is just a horizontal acquisition. All of the top-tier IEMs just sound "different."

Personally, I like the Phonak PFEs for complex classical recordings. My biggest gripes with the "classical" phones people will recommend is that they don't have any bass. You simply need bass for classical. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't been to a concert hall and heart the pounding of the timpanis and the pleasant boom of the string bass. /rant

The PFEs faithfully do this while keeping amazing instrument separation. My favorite is hearing a cymbal crash and being able to also hear the kick of the bass drum under it.

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 19
I really like the TF10 for classical - lately I've been digging into some of Gustav Mahler's symphonies (really enjoying no. 2 and 6) and am very happy with their performance. I haven't been to a concert hall in many years (since grade school, really) but I think they have the resolution, soundstage and, yes, bass to really do justice to these recordings.

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 19
Based on everything I've read, "upgrading" to the TF10 from the RE0 is more of a lateral move than a true upgrade.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGame21x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on everything I've read, "upgrading" to the TF10 from the RE0 is more of a lateral move than a true upgrade.

OP is looking to upgrade from (TF10 and RE0) to something else.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyp007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP is looking to upgrade from (TF10 and RE0) to something else.

Oh...well...right.

That's what I get for merely skimming over the thread before posting.
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 19
Hmm.... well yea man.. if you want to stay ultra portable I'd either suggest looking into some good customs or.... maybe full sized cans?

You could try and see how the ER-4Ps relate as well.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the TF10 for classical - lately I've been digging into some of Gustav Mahler's symphonies (really enjoying no. 2 and 6) and am very happy with their performance. I haven't been to a concert hall in many years (since grade school, really) but I think they have the resolution, soundstage and, yes, bass to really do justice to these recordings.

+1 exactly, i guess it is btw good customs and home set up... I am a student so space and portability is important for me... can someone briefly outline the differences btw the top tier customs while I search for opininons on the forum as well...

btw, I have always been really interested in Future Sonics EM customs, do anyone have experiences with these on vocals and classicals?

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyzhou2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
customs

First off I don't have first hand experience of what I am about to recommend but I just want to share my thoughts as I am in a similar situation. I have NE7M, RE0, IE7 and sending TF10 to Fisher.

Cheapest route if you like the TF10 is to get it remolded by Fisher Hearing. If you find the mids lacking then maybe send the TF10 to Unique Melody and have them throw in an extra mid driver with the remold.

After that the big jump would be top customs from JH, UE, etc.

Oh and Unique Melody Mage would be in the middle of the two options I mentioned.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 19
Hmm. With all of the talk I'm hearing of the remolding service it's really tempting to get them molded. I don't think I would add another driver but getting that custom seal would definitely increase comfort and add isolation.

Question though; would I still be able to use whatever cables I have with my UEs? Or do they change the cable design in the mold? Also, can I get them remolded at a later date or am I stuck with that mold forever?

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. With all of the talk I'm hearing of the remolding service it's really tempting to get them molded. I don't think I would add another driver but getting that custom seal would definitely increase comfort and add isolation.

Question though; would I still be able to use whatever cables I have with my UEs? Or do they change the cable design in the mold? Also, can I get them remolded at a later date or am I stuck with that mold forever?

i know for UM u can choose to get TF10 remolded to use original wires or use UE10/11 wires with it..

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 19
The only reason I would get them molded is if you have a bad fit or want to add drivers. I don't really see the point if they fit fine on you as it is.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 19
I had shure 530's/tf10's/cyclone pr1's so far and I don't feel like any of those are an upgrade to re0. The only thing that will be a true upgrade from them is going a custom route.

I've personally narrowed it down to either the JH13 or the JH16.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason I would get them molded is if you have a bad fit or want to add drivers. I don't really see the point if they fit fine on you as it is.

Oh ok thanks man. Yea I have to mess with it to get a good fit sometimes but it's not that bad I don't think.
Hmm thanks for the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back