Upgrade from skullcandy SLYR
Sep 28, 2018 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

strokerace

Head-Fier
I got the Skullcandy SLYR headphones a couple years ago dirt cheap ($25, used, without the mixer/accessories) after reading recommendations in the gaming headphones thread and they are my current favorite phones for listening to rap as well as for stuff with more vocals like Rilo Kiley and the Shins. Sources/amps include an Asus DGX soundcard, Fiio E7, and an old Rio Karma in addition to some receivers/mixers. Not many people have experience with the SLYR, except for maybe console gamers so it's hard to find any similar cans. I posted in the gaming phones thread but I can't really expect a response from there.

I'm looking to upgrade from the SLYR to something that can handle just a tad more bass without distortion while still able to sound good in the highs. I'm curious enough to try phones with even a small upgrade over the SLYR. My current stable consists of cheap IEMs, KSC-75's, and an AT WS99BT on loan. I've tried a used Denon D2000 and sold it after a screw went missing, and while they handled the highs well and I regret selling them, they just weren't bassy enough. I bought new Beyer DT-990's and sold them in favor of the D2000. I've had HD681's but gave them away to a friend (considering rebuying these since they're cheap). Sold my used SR-125's because I didn't like using them enough over my KSC-75's. Bought HD-280's for DJing for a while until they broke and I moved onto better phones as they just weren't that great.

I really thought the WS99 was going to be my endgame but they didn't live up to their basshead reputation after putting them up against the SLYR (though the difference isn't that large). Still curious about the HD555/595 and their successors, Beyer DT-770, V-Modas, and AKGs. I'm looking for headphones in the $100-$150 range (used price is OK). Soundstage for gaming is a plus but not required. I'm mainly looking for a better version of the SLYR with its same sound signature, can be open or closed but must be circumaural, and doesn't need to have a mic, obviously.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Vmoda M100 used? Pretty good bass.

I've seen that old model recommended a lot too, but I notice that it's more expensive used than its wireless version. I also read that the crossfade wireless 2 is a nice upgrade but it's still expensive so i should probably test a cheaper model first. ~$120 @ amazon marketplace for the crossfade wireless 1 with XL pads vs. ~$150+ amazon warehouse deals for the wired m-100? makes me think there's something special about the m-100, right? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back