Upgrade from SF5P?
Sep 8, 2009 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

exe163

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, my beloved Super.fi 5 pro had some problem few weeks ago. I sent it back to manufacture (now logitech) and they gave me a replacement. I am thinking this might be a good opportunity to upgrade! As much as I would like a Westone 3, by budget just doesn't cut it. My music preferences are rock, alternative, classical and jazz. I really enjoyed the relatively large sound stage of my SF5P also. Hopefully it would have good isolation and comfort, much like my previous SF5P + comply combo.

Here's some phones I have my eyes on right now:

RE0 - I heard a lot of raves about this headphone. I don't have much experience about dynamic driver IEMs. The last pair I tried was CD300, which has quite disappointing performance on anything other than bass.

TF10 - move up the UE chain, should sound better, correct? And a used one seems pretty cheap at low $200, hopefully they are long lasting.

Live Wire - Heard great things about this competitively priced custom, and some discussion regarding triple driver vs dual. I still have to do some research this.

Any feedback greatly appreciated. Happy listening
o2smile.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 13
I think Klipsch Custom 3, FX500, IE8 and TF10Pro are for these genres. On FX500 different instruments sound more natural and both(FX500, TF10Pro) has big soundstage but C3 midrange is so amazing with great bass extention and it's sound so good for rock.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 13
i was thinking JH as well
tongue.gif

im in the same boat with the SF5 pros cept there is no problem with them, im just very curious as to how good customs sound. But i think i will hold off a little bit see how the JH5 reviews though im tempted to just go right to 13
very_evil_smiley.gif
damn you headfi..

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jussssss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was thinking JH as well
tongue.gif

im in the same boat with the SF5 pros cept there is no problem with them, im just very curious as to how good customs sound. But i think i will hold off a little bit see how the JH5 reviews though im tempted to just go right to 13
very_evil_smiley.gif
damn you headfi..

Unfortunately my budget cannot exceed over 300
ph34r.gif
. Actually I would really hope to spend less than that.

dnullify, how are the live wires compare to SF5?

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 13
Livewires dual drivers models are an excellent upgrade to the SF5pro in my opinion. Somewhat of a similar sound signature but improved a bit in every aspect.

Downside is the wait time, although it is not as bad with duals as with the triples. Since you are in the US you can return for a refund within 30 days, then you are only out the price of impressions.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 13
Go to the TF10's I did the same ... The improvement is noticeable.

Cheers

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 13
I've posted this on other threads, but I might as well add it here -- I had the SF5 Pros for awhile but didn't really like them. I really like the Klipsch Image X5's and would consider them a huge upgrade over the SF5 Pros. Cleaner and "bigger" sound. I can't be sure you'd react the same way, though, since you liked the SF5 a lot better than I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back