Upgrade from Senn HD570 to ?
Nov 15, 2008 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

SaltedSlug

New Head-Fier
I've had these Sennheiser HD570's since 2001 or 2002. They are still great headphones. The pads are in great condition.. infact everything is. I run over the cable almost daily with my chair and it's still fine. I imagine that is because it is Kevlar coated.

I have been looking around and I am having a hard time deciding on a new headphone. After all the trash talk I heard in the past on the HD570 I want to see what will sound a great deal better, but keep many of the features I love with this Senn. So that has me looking at the HD600.

I want an Open Air headphone. I need it to go around the ears (circumaural). I'd also like it to have a detachable cable if possible. I can't imagine finding a headphone as comfortable as my HD570 but I'd like something close. The HD590 and HD600 look to be the closest things to being that comfortable.

I'm using it for games, music, and movies on my PC.

Quotes like this scare me though, "Many have said the HD600 has a somewhat recessed upper midrange that makes vocals seem as if they're placed further back on the stage. There's also a slight midbass hump that some people find rewarding while others find that it muddy's the bass."

The comments on the bass worry me. I will say I tryed some BD DT770's after reading a bit a few years ago and was completely put off by them. I also purchased some HD595's and absolutely hated their sound compared to my HD570's. They were vastly different. I don't remember if it was a recessed upper midrange and slight midbass hump like those comments on the HD600 though. The HD600 isn't anything like the HD595 is it? If it is I might have to throw that out the window.

Either way I don't mind throwing in money in the $300 range for a decent set of cans.

The next thing would be an amp. As of right now I have my HD570's connected to the control unit on my Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultras. I like having it that way so I can just push a button and use my speakers without having to switch any cables. This may be a stupid question... and it probably is. Will that klipsch control unit be enough of an amp to power the HD600's? It powered the BD DT770's plenty. Then again it may be a poor amp for sound quality. I don't know.

So I don't know if I were to get the HD600's if i'd really HAVE to get an amp besides that klipsch control unit and have to switch the cables everytime I want to use speakers or find some other solution. Spending $500 will hurt abit.

The only other cans I was looking at that seem close are the Audio Technica ad1000. No detachable cable but..

Enough blabber ... can I get some help?

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 27
Welcome saltedslug.

If you are near a Guitar Center you can get a taste of a few different mfg. models. See what flavor you like. Then you can go into the threads and find info on them through the search function. All the suggestions are based on other's tastes. Once you know your tastes, you can find others with similar tastes to get advice from.

If you can go to a meet (see meet forums), you will hear things no minor should know exists. Be forewarned though, there are some intoxicating powers that a nice, properly setup rig can have.

As far as an amp. If you like the sound of your current setup, you might want to stay ignorant of the possibilities. There is always something better and yes, it is immediately noticeable depending on how far up the line you go. This is the realm of big boy's toys so you can find things to buy that meet any budget.

Good luck on your search and sorry about the wallet.
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltedSlug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD600 isn't anything like the HD595 is it? If it is I might have to throw that out the window.

No -- The HD555 and 595 are both crap sounding, IMO, even in their price bracket. The HD600 is leagues above both of them.

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 27
I'm not satisfied with HD570's sound anymore. The treble is to harsh.

I'm thinking I really just want to go with the Sennheiser HD600's as long as they don't sound like the 595's. Honestly I could spend $1000 on a setup. I just don't want to do so and find that it wasn't worth it or it does not suit my tastes.

I'm fairly certain there is a Guitar Center near me so I should go and check that out. Honestly though the HD600 has everything I want. Except I don't know how they sound. I'm almost lazy enough to just go ahead and buy them and worry about all the rest later.

I'm looking at amps now. I'm looking for a proper desktop amp. I don't need a portable. Something that works decent with the HD600 and is $200 or less.

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 27
Buy an HD600. For example: I've been enjoying them even out of an mp3 player for a while (no amps involved) - don't feel the pressure to amp them. Just realize that amplification WILL make things better.

If you decide that what they have to offer is for you, work on improving it at the pace you want to.

And **** you are making me want an HD600...I really like the way alot of things sound through them...

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 27
You can buy used or get one with a 30 day return. FWIW, many feel the 600s are the best Senn.

A tube amp would be able to tame those highs. Check out Little Dot, Dark Voice, EC lunchbox. Another way to see what's available is to type $200 in the amps and amps f/s forum. You get more for your money.

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing you may want to consider is your source. Your speakers are connected to your PC, and you connect your headphones to the speakers. This really is not a quality set up, convenient but not quality. The better equation to consider is headphones + source + amp, not headphones + amp.

I'm using an original "Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music". That is my source. I think i'll stick with it because it's less of burden on the processor than other soundcards. Although on my next PC build I may think about looking for a PC sound card that is better suited for audio quality since i'll have a beastly Intel I7.

I also have a PS3 hooked up to my PC speakers via optical out to a Creative DDTS 100. With my speakers on the pass through box. I'm at an apt now so I sometimes hook my headphones up to the DDTS 100.

The Denon D2000? That is a closed headphone isn't it?

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltedSlug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon D2000? That is a closed headphone isn't it?

Right, the D2000 is closed. Plenty of information can be found on it by searching for "D2000". I suggest taking your time sorting this system out before buying anything. This will increase your chances of getting a more satisfying system and not spending more money. I suggest posting and reading in the computer audio forum about alternatives to a PC sound card for your source. I'm sure your current sound card will do fine for now, but there's a good chance that after this headphone/amp purchase, your source will be your weakest link. The best way of going about this process is to establish an ending budget for headphones, amp, and source. So you will need to determine your eventual source and price. Even with a $500 to $1000 total budget, it's fairly easy to end up spending more than that in pursuit of a satisfying system, especially if you don't get it planned out. Posting a thread titled something like "Help Spending $xxx for Cans/Amp/Source" should net you some very good system recommendations. If you objected to the HD595, I suggest being cautious about buying the HD600.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 27
If objecting to HD595, I don't think he has much business with D2000...

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Interesting. I suppose this could be said of any other headphones too... lol.

Not quite - my point is that they both have half-laid back somewhat muddled presentation (as far as layers go).

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

I suggest buying the Denon D2000 when you can find it new or used in the $200 - $220 range. You may find you like it without an amp and from your control unit. And then you can decide whether you want to buy an amp for it. I don't suggest buying the HD580/HD600 because of your dislike of the HD595.

From what I've read the HD 595 is the most aggressive Sennheiser, which isn't really the house sound of Sennheiser.

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite - my point is that they both have half-laid back somewhat muddled presentation (as far as layers go).

Just joking around; I was sure you had a point. So in your opinion, would this be with a not so well driven D2000, well driven, modded, re-cabled, or any configuration. I did find the HD595 confused in its presentation (when I owned it), but I have not used the D2000. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back