upgrade from M-audio
Jun 4, 2004 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Fusion

New Head-Fier
i m currently using m-audio USB audiophile ....i chose this to the pci audiophile 9624 cos of the external power spupply suppose to supply a cleaner power
i would like to upgrade the m-audio.what would u guys recommend .....i have 2 soundcard in mind ....the EMU 1212m and the RME 96/8pad.......
i m open to other suggestion .....what would u guys suggest??i only need a dedicated 2 channel output and digital coax/optical out for external dts decoder......

Jun 4, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 8
A stock EMU beats a modded RME and it's $100 less expensive. However the EMU can only do 24/48 through it's WDM drivers (and then it's also piped through kmixer) so if you have an application that needs high quality WDM output then the RME would probably be best but otherwise I'd go with the EMU and use FB2K with ASIO or Kernel Streaming.

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Do you consider a standalone DAC? M-Audio soundcards are already decent soundcards.

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 8
i thought of an external DAC but i prefer an internal soundcard.....the USB audiophile cos a lot of problem cos it hangs my computer once a while.....the latency from the USB is too high .....i prefer to get an internal soundcard now......

Jun 4, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 8
I was not able to send DTS stream from powerdvd to receiver using the emu so I don't know if that's possible. Maybe somebody else was successful.

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I was not able to send DTS stream from powerdvd to receiver using the emu so I don't know if that's possible. Maybe somebody else was successful.

WinDVD won't do it either. The E-MU is only spec'ed to run 2 channel through the s/pdif outs (both optical and coax).

Jun 4, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 8
If that's the case, then the emu isn't an option for those looking to use an external receiver and watch movies.

Jun 4, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
If that's the case, then the emu isn't an option for those looking to use an external receiver and watch movies.

no, it's not... it seems that if you run ADAT it supports 8 channel but I remember reading that the S/PDIF was only 2 channel.

-EDIT-

BTW the 1820m does seem to support multichannel if you use analog. I'm sure you can probably get patchmix to output whatever you want to each output channel but it also seems to support it on it's pc speaker outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back