Upgrade from Klipsch Custom 3 (less than $150)
Feb 19, 2011 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

tuan2195

Head-Fier
Hi guys
I'm having a Klipsch Custom 3 and really enjoying its sound - warm and balanced. Unluckily, the C3 is FUBAR - awful cable, broken jack (i've modded a new, but still some problem) and a broken nozzle cause by my lil brother) so i think it's time i upgrade to a new IEM (or reshell my Custom 3)
My favorite kind of music are house, trance, electro stuffs (Daft Punk, Guetta, Tiesto, deadmau5) and some rock/metal (Metallica, Greenday, Linkin Park...) and although i don't really know if i'm a basshead, i still think i needs some more bass (compared to the Custom 3, which is not satisfying to my ears on some rock/metal stuffs)
I'm using a Zune HD (yeah, great sound but awful EQ) + all MP3 320/V0 as my source.
And also, i use my IEM for DJing too (only 1-2 times a month) so i also need good isolation and minimum fatiguing from prolonged listening
I've come up with some options but i just cannot decide on my own:
1. Sennheiser IE7
2. Future Sonics Atrio
3. Phonak Audeo PFE (+ Perfect Bass filter)
4. Super .Fi 5 Pro
5. Super .Fi 5 EB (some say it's muddy and too much, and it's fatiguing, but still i included it here)
6. Fischer Audio DBA-02 (but where to buy?)
7. Reshelled Custom-Klipsch-Custom-3
or if you guys think the extra money is worth it, i can try to reach for the UE Triple.Fi 10 (which is now $180)
also you're welcomed to suggest any more IEM i've not put here.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and help.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 20
I just sent my Custom 3's off to Fisher Hearing to be reshelled. Hate the cable and I have trouble with the fit, but I love the sound. We'll see how they work as customs. I also have the Sennheiser IE7 and really like them. This is a good time to buy the IE7, since it is the Sennheiser special of the month. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
I just sent my Custom 3's off to Fisher Hearing to be reshelled. Hate the cable and I have trouble with the fit, but I love the sound. We'll see how they work as customs. I also have the Sennheiser IE7 and really like them. This is a good time to buy the IE7, since it is the Sennheiser special of the month. 

thanks for the really fast reply man.
in your opinion how do you think the IE7 is compared to the Custom 3?
and i also see that you got a TF10. what do you think about it, and how is it compared to the C3 ? (i'm sry but there are few reviews of the TF10 out there)

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 20
The TF10 is still my favorite of all of the IEM's that I have. I'm lucky - they fit me great with Sony Hybrid tips. Not everyone is so lucky. The TF10 has very good treble & bass extension and detail. The IE7 and Custom3 both have more midrange and are smoother. The IE7 cable is as good as the Custom 3 cable is bad. I wouldn't give up the IE7 or the TF10.

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 20
Hi,

I was in the same boat ! I broke my loved (sound wise) Custom 3.
My first IEM was a UE5pro, great phone, fun but bulky and wont stay put... (so a downgrade, I think)

I had a PFE perfect base, but return it because I was unable to drive it with my iPhone4 unamped (it'll probably be the same with your zune, it is definitively more difficult to drive than the Custom 3).

I end up with a HF2, phenomenal ! (but not as fun and impact full as the custom 3)
Great bass (with proper fit) and amazing clarity, they are different beasts:
Daft Punk -> Custom3 or UE or IE?
Metalica -> HF2-5 or DBA?

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 20
thanks alot guys, seems like im leaning towards the TF10 (which i think is praised by everyone i've seen, and the others are only bout $20 less than the TF10) the reshelling (since everyone seems to love the C3's sound including me xD) and the Senn IE7.
but @BRCMRGN do you think that the Senn IE7 is a significant improvement over the Custom 3? according to you they sound pretty identical?
and @Manbu, do you think the Ety's has enough bass for House music? i listened to them once and loved their details, but find em lacking bass. if so, then will an amp help? (possibly a Fiio E5 with bass boost) :D

also a little off-topic: it seems like the SF5 Pro/EB are discontinued by UE? i cant find any dealers with brand new ones.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 20
If you're willing to stretch your budget then the TF10s should suit you just fine.

From what I've heard, the Super.Fi 5 Pros are bass light so they wouldn't be a great fit for you based on your listening preferences. The Super.Fi 5 EBs are bass monsters however, and were officially discontinued I believe but are still available in bulk (IE without the official box and some accessories) on eBay for about $120 or so.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 20
This is an interesting thread for me since I have also posted something similar on this forum..
Sorry to hijack this for now, but why are you not considering the radius DDM?
I had almost made my decision to go with the DDM based on some recommendations, and reading this has me asking questions again!
So is the TF10s more bassy than the DDM, quality/quantity wise?

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 20
according to my knowledge, the TF10 is by no mean bassy and cannot match the DDM in term of bass (quantity-wise, quality idk) and im ditching the SF5EB too, listened to it today at a friend's. too much bass, which may cause fatigue for me.
yeah seems like the TF10 is a good choice for me. i'll try to stretch my budget for it.
only thing now its TF10 vs. Reshelled Custom 3 - is the extra $$$ worth it? anyway thanks alot for your opinions guys. cleared up alot of mess in my head

still im a little curious: what if we use a pair of Etys (or any other analytical/bass-light IEM) with a bass-boost amp (ie Fiio E5) then will the bass get better? or somehow the amp will backfires?

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #10 of 20
Tuan,
I'm not a fan of house music, but in your list, the only thing I could relate to is Daft Punk.
And it's never been that fun and involving with my HF3 (like it use to be with my 5Pro or Custom3 (or Koss ProtaPro !)).

So I would say the Ety's are really not made for Electro/House but for Indie/Classical/Rock,
they do have base QUALITY (they go so deep) just no artificial emphasis (witch you probably want for Electro/Rap...).

For example, Beck's albums (lot of deep bass in Guero or Modern Guilt) sound amazing with my Ety.
They don't need a amp (volume wise), and I ever tried it with my FiioE5, but it might add a couple of db at the lower end...

So go with a TF10 (I have the HF3 because I NEED the inline remote, and there is no deal on TF10vi) by flipping L/R they don't stick out too much.

(sorry for my English, I'm francophone and dyslexic :)

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
Just to let you know, the KC3 is already near the top in terms of sound quality.  For $150, you won't really find an upgrade.  A sidegrade at best.

I agree, and not to say you won't enjoy the TF10's sound signature, but to my ears the Custom 3 and the TF10 share nothing in common in sound. The closest sound signature to the Custom 3 - again, to my ears - is the SE535, with a little e-Q7 sprinkled in and a dash of the the analytical HF5 vocals thrown in. But overall, it's like the Shure to my ears with better bass.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 20
I've got a reshelled KC3 and have the IE7. I use the UE single flange tips with the IE7 which opens up the sound for me. I would recommend the IE7 without any hesitation as the most cost effective solution to your problem. I wouldn't personally recommend the TF10 because of fit issues but it just might work for you. However, if you love the sound of the KC3, spend the extra money and get them reshelled.

On a side note, the nuforce icon mobile is a great match with the IE7. Most of my time spent listening is now with that combo.

Feb 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 20
The IE7s really are great, but I don't know how well they would work for your DJing. Their isolation is pretty poor. There are some tips that can definitely increase isolation, but I'm sure most other IEMs will be better at blocking out noise.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 20
Just curious ericp10, did you find any IEMs/headphones that are true upgrades to the KC3?  I feel like my tastes are just like yours from what I've been reading.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back