upgrade from K501?
Nov 25, 2006 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ak622

500+ Head-Fier
First off my current rig is AV710 -> DAC-AH -> DARED MP5 -> K501. I've been thinking of getting another pair of headphones as an "upgrade" but I would like some recommendations. I love the K501 sound and I would think the K701 would be a logical upgrade but I've read that the K701 isn't that much of an upgrade but more of a different flavor to the AKG sound. Also, if others may think an upgrade in a different component may yield better gains, than by all means please suggest it. Any suggestions and reasons would be very great and thanks in advance!

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 9
With a system like yours, I wouldn't think so much of getting an upgrade as of covering different ground than what the K501 offers. In that respect, the K701 would be the wrong move. Better to go for something entirely different, like a Grado or a Beyer.

Nov 25, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 9
how much $$ you got? lol poor person.

what do you like about the 501s? dislike?

Nov 25, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 9
I think the K701 is a much better headphone than the K501 but not necessarily an upgrade. There definitely isn't as much enjoyment -- for me -- listening to classical music on the K701 even though there is more detail and better lows. The benefit of the K701 (and why I keep them over the K501) is that they are more versatile -- handling rock, folk, etc in addition to classical and jazz.

Honestly, I don't think there is a true "upgrade" for the K501 -- at least not that I've heard. It's one-of-a-kind.

--Chris

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 9
Least expensive tact would be @ $44 thru AKG to add 701 earpads to the 501s; Tips the LFs to more prominence as well into the mid range nicely for a slightly warmer fuller presentation. Perhaps good interconnects upgrade if not already covered. Of course the 701s are an entirely different presentation within the AKG house sound as I do like having both, very much different flavor which would perhaps scale up better than some other cans including the 501s. You do have a nicely balanced set of components with a fairly powerful nuanced amp which may very well bring the 701s to life!

Best~

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 9
I have not heard the K501 personally, however from the many consistant reports of its sound that I have read here at head-fi, it sounds like a much cheaper version of my Ergo AMT. The AMT is a major upgrade though, certainly in terms of cost.

The K701 is a fine headphone though, and should not displease you if you want to move up a bit from the K501.

The Ergo 2 can be had for much less than then AMT, and bested the K701 during my comparison listening.

As has been said, your other option if you are keen on the K501 sound is to try somethign completely different, a Grado would be an antithesis sound, its not one I personally like though. Were I in your position, I would give an electret or electrostatic a try. Second hand Stax can be had for less than the cost of a K701.

The world is your mollusc, I think that you should try something different unless you are very confident in your preferences.

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much $$ you got? lol poor person.

what do you like about the 501s? dislike?

AHAHA OH NO! what did I get myself into?? well I'm looking at < $300US as my limit... I like the sound of female voices and acoustic guitars from the K501.. What I would like to improve on is much is how sax and trumpets are presented.. I'm not sure how to say it but it sounds a bit forced? How bout teh Senns 650 or 600? Any from AT??

Duggeh: Well I only tried the SR60 from Grado line but I didn't like it all that much. I will keep an eye out for some used STAX too.. I haven't tried an electrostat so maybe that would be a nice change..

Hi-Finthen: Thanks for that suggestion, I will look into the pads if it slightly gives a different presentation..

Nov 27, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 9
bump... any other suggestions on phones?

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 9
i dont think there is a better option than the 701 as an "upgrade". i do agree with duggeh and electrostats would be a great direction to head in. unfortunately you will have to get ANOTHER amp. id say go with the 701 if you want to piss away money but electrostats would be alot nicer for alot more cash.

in the end its you that will have to decide...

Im in almost the excact position as you. i have the 501 and LDII+. My perfect headphone would be a SERIOUSLY articulate headphone with the same quantity of highs as the 501, electrostat smoothness and the same amount of warmth as the 501 BUT heaps more impact. I dont like the bass interfering with the other frequencies so thats why i got the 501 but they do get anaemic even with tubes. im not quite sure how this works but id like something that has good bass impact but does not sound too warm.

any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back