Upgrade from HD595?
Dec 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sutton

New Head-Fier
About 2 years ago, I purchased my first proper HP's the HD 595 after being impressed by the PX100's. Now I would like to improve my listening experience again, but im unsure as to what path to take. I'll quickly outline my sources and what I like/dislike about the HD595.

Sources

Computer with X-FI Xtreme Gamer soundcard. Apple Lossless

iPod Touch 1st Gen. Apple lossless.

PS3. 320kbps .mp3.

Likes/dislikes about HD595

The clean and open sound and soundstage, but the bass is a bit lacking. Generally I love the sound I am getting now, comfortably numb sounds even more awesome every time I hear it through these headphones. The HD595's are probably one of my best technology purchases ever.

Upgrade Path

Working off the theory that a system only sounds as good as the weakest part, I believe that I need to improve my source and get a headphone amp. I am also looking at getting the HD650's in the future but I think they would be wasted considering my current set up.

So to summarise...

Are my sources of an acceptable quality?

Would a cheap headphone amp dramatically improve my HD595's?

How much better would the HD650 sound compared the HD595 on my current set up? and how much better if I improved it?

I am willing to spend about £100 on improving my set up, and a further £200 on better 'phones later on down the line.

Thanks for any advice you can give me about this!
happy_face1.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 11
First off, I think the HD 600 would be a better step for you than the HD 650. They're also considerably cheapep, so that's a plus.

The X-Fi isn't a bad card, but I would recommend getting your sound out of your computer ASAP. Computer's are noisy in every way, and the sooner you get an external DAC the better.

I would start by looking at units like the ZERO, the KECES, the Beresford, and/or the Fubar II. The HD595 do well without an amp, but benefit from one also. If you move to the 580/600/650 you'll definitely need an amp.

The ZERO and KECES are combination Amp/DAC units, and the other two aren't, but all four are good values.

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Am I correct in thinking I could plug my iPod into one of those DAC's? Secondly, the HD600 is pretty much the same price as the HD650 where I live (UK). Infact the HD650's are cheaper, I can get HD650's for £180, but the HD600's are £210.

Does anybody know a site that sells DAC's in the UK? Google only gives me ebay results. I think one of those DAC's with an inbuilt amp would be perfect for my needs
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Unfortunately, the ipod Does not output a digital signal, so it does not connect to a DAC. Your computer does, though, so that's what you'll coneect. Some of these take USB, some take S/PDIF, but you're covered in either case.

Honestly, on the headphones, I recommend buying used from here.

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

What if I was to buy a £100 portable headphone amp to use with the ipod? This would probably be a more convenient option for me, as I dont like to listen to music in the same room as my PC. Mainly because it's extremely loud lol.

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 11
You can buy iBasso D2 Boa.. which is a USB DAC + Headphone amp ..and is highly suitable and well priced.

it drives HD555/595 to their best.

but if u do buy HD600... u mite wanna buy ZERO DAC..which has a better amp..and can also be used as PreAmp.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 11
After I bought my first serious HPs (595s as well) I went directly to the HD650 and didn't regret it.
I quite occassionally listen to them via my portable MiniDisc Player which isn't very strong and powerful, but it's a strong improvement over the 595s

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 11
I wouldn't recommend trying to drive the 600s or 650s with any sort of portable amp. It will not go well.

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 11
I went straight to the HD650s after the HD595s. If you drive the HD650s with your X-Fi you will notice better soundstage , more bass but bloaty and rolled of high compared to the HD595s. The bloat bass of the HD650s is really annoying without an amp. Amp under 300$ improve the HD595s but not much from my experience. A better source might be a better choice for the HD595s.

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 11
The HD595 is actually quite different from the other Senns, the HD600/HD650 is going to be darker than the HD595. You might want to consider the Ultrasone 750 for a brighter presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back