Upgrade from Focal Elear + Oppo DAC + SPL Amp?
Aug 1, 2020 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

headhi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, my current system consists of PC -> Oppo Sonica DAC -> SPL Phonitor e -> Focal Elear. Any suggestions for future upgrades? I'm looking for incremental, meaningful upgrades rather than revamping the entire system. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 12
If you can say what you want to improve on maybe somebody can suggest something. Your equipment listed is pretty good. I haven't heard the Focals.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 12
Fostex and Audeze make headphones that are more fun if you mean you would like a different sound signature including slamming bass.

Aug 2, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 12
Is there anywhere you can demo some things? If so, that would be a great first step. If not, at least somewhere with a return policy if you don't like the headphones.

Do you like the elears sound? If so, here are some ideas: putting focal clear pads on the elear turns it into an elex, which is considered an upgrade. A bigger upgrade would be to switch to a focal clear, a higher end model. I haven't had a chance to hear either your amp or dac but they both seem pretty good, so I would concentrate on headphones right now.

Other small upgrades would be a good power source, something like a schiit eitr if you're using usb from your pc, and upgraded cables. However, your biggest bang for the bug as far as upgrades that will really stand out will be the headphones themselves.

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 12
I have an hd800 that I love to death. Soundstage is much bigger than the elear, and overall clarity and instrument separation is second to none. You may miss the bass on the elear, and the narrower soundstage can seem more 'intimate.' A lot depends on your amps as well, as I didnt like my 800 on a thx solid state, but love it on a OTL tube amp. Your amp seems quite a few steps above the thx however.

Its a flagship headphone for much less than most flagships go for, especially if you buy it used (and I don't see why you wouldnt!).

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 12
I enjoy the Elear's overall. Apart from Focal Clear, how's HD 800S for an upgrade?

The HD 800s is a totally different sound, it’s much brighter than the Elear.

If you’re in the UK, you can audition loads of different headphones at the Hi-Fi Lounge in Dunton, Bedfordshire
https://hifilounge.co.uk/

They have a huge selection and even have their own headphone demo room.

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #9 of 12
The HD 800s is a totally different sound, it’s much brighter than the Elear.

If you’re in the UK, you can audition loads of different headphones at the Hi-Fi Lounge in Dunton, Bedfordshire
https://hifilounge.co.uk/

They have a huge selection and even have their own headphone demo room.

Thanks for the link, but I'm not in the UK... Not many search results for used HD 800S, will try my luck anyway.

Aug 3, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #10 of 12
If you say what country you're in it will be easier to help you, possibly.

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 12
Then you have more choices than most. Have a look at ZMF headphones for starters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back