Upgrade from Etymotic ER-6
Nov 19, 2008 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ghunter

New Head-Fier
I think it's time to upgrade from my Etymotic ER-6. I'm travelling a lot and would like something with a little smoother sound quality. I used to own the ER-4's and respect what they can do, but found them a little harsh on the high end. I have AKG K701 and a class-A Headroom Cosmic at home so I'm a little spoiled there.

I'm thinking about getting a Total Bithead to buffer the crappy computer output amp, too. That might change the selection somewhat, I do realize.

So what would you suggest for an ear-canal model upgrade?

Shure SE-310?
Total Bithead and give the ER-6 another few months?
Should I consider other brands?

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 17
If it's just for the amp and not the DAC, get a Mini 3 instead. For IEM, personally, I am aiming for the Head-Direct RE2 because it fits in the ER6i, iM716 price range, kinda.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 17
Well, if you don't know how to use a simple search engine or function, then I can't help you anymore.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 17
While the sound signature is somewhat warmer/fuller than Etymotic IEMs usually run, consider the Klipsch Custom 3. With their half-off special (U.S. customers only, "Half Off" is the coupon code) until Nov. 30th, the Custom 3 is running $150 with free shipping. 2 day shipping is only $8 more if you need it, and 1 day isn't bad either. They're also selling their X-5 for $125 and X-10 (bass heavy) for $175.

Headphones - Klipsch Custom-3, High-Performance Headphones, Noise-Reducing Headphones

IMO, until Nov. 30th Klipsch has some of the best deals around.
o2smile.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you don't know how to use a simple search engine or function, then I can't help you anymore.

Why even comment with that sort of attitude? Explain what it is if you know, it doesn't take that long to type up a helpful response.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmacfan4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why even comment with that sort of attitude? Explain what it is if you know, it doesn't take that long to type up a helpful response.

I think he was perfectly justified. He mentioned IEMs that he thought were good, and then the thread-starter didn't even bother to look them up or anything - he just said thanks but no thanks because he doesn't KNOW what the IEMs are. If you don't know, then find out

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 17
I'm also getting new earphones and deciding between the 310's and Klipsch's X10's. At first I thought definitely the Shure's, but im leaning towards the Klipsch's now because I've heard they have much better sound quality and because of their half-off deal.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 17
For what it's worth, if you search for "mini 3" you get a LOT of irrelevant threads. The complete lack of anything beyond listing a few products in Alai's post didn't really motivate me to go and search much for anything he recommends.

I'm researching the Klipsch now, and think I'll order a pair at that price (the question is which pair!).

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 17
since you like the 701 you may want to consider the new in-ear hp from AKG's.
I liked the K14P so much that I ordered the new K 319 earbuds today.
if you like In-Ear the High End K 370 seems promising, but could not found how much they cost

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, if you search for "mini 3" you get a LOT of irrelevant threads. The complete lack of anything beyond listing a few products in Alai's post didn't really motivate me to go and search much for anything he recommends.

I'm researching the Klipsch now, and think I'll order a pair at that price (the question is which pair!).

If you read my post again, I am fairly sure it is clear that the Mini 3 recommendation was referring to replacing your amp (aka the Mini 3 is an amp; you can't replace an amp with a DAC or an IEM). Same with the Head-Direct RE2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back