Upgrade from er6i
Nov 30, 2008 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

burnhamd

New Head-Fier
Hello all Ive been reading many of the past posts on this same topic but I still am not satisfied in my choice. My trusty er6i were stolen last week and I need a replacement. While I could just buy the er6i again I feel that I might as well upgrade. First of all the isolation of the er6i were amazing and the clarity was quite good. I typically ran them out of a macbook, iphone and ipod headphone jack. However, the bass on these earphones were somewhat, lacking though they adjusted well with eq. I listen to just about everything but the majority is rockish. I typically use them in the gym and just around in the library and such, but would like to be able to run in them. Anyway, Ive been looking around and there seem to be a lot of IEM's competing for the ~$175 range. As of writing this post the best earphones for me seem to be as follows:1.Westone UM22.Klipsch Custom 23. Shure 310

Also fitting into the recessed iphone jack would be a plus.
Thanks for any idea on the subject.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 9
No idea on those other headphones, but if I can give you some advice, I would not recommend using expensive headphones in a gym, comfortable or sweet sounding they may be. It just takes one incident and whoops, there snaps your cables.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaspianPH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No idea on those other headphones, but if I can give you some advice, I would not recommend using expensive headphones in a gym, comfortable or sweet sounding they may be. It just takes one incident and whoops, there snaps your cables.

Im aware of that. I mainly use my bowflex and keep the cables down my shirt.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 9
Dec 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 9
For the cables issue, the 6i's big brother the ER 4P has replaceable cables and they connect in a way that sweat shouldnt be able to get in. That will keep your isolation and clarity, but you might still want more bass.

Another option would be the Sleek SA6 but I would worry about sweat with that, although it has replaceable cables and a wireless option.

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 9
Isolation is no doubt the ER 4

Sound is a preference at this point. You might like Q-jays, maybe ER 4, maybe SA6, maybe SF5, maybe X10, maybe SE310 etc etc. Just search around for reviews of each to get an idea of their sound and try to decide based on other reviews of the 6i's sound what adaptations you would want and what kind of sound would fit what you listen to.

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 9
I ended up getting the Klipsch custom 3 when they were $160 on earphonesolutions.com. Plus the coupon code took off another 20 bucks. I haven't gotten them yet but Ive heard that the cords are somewhat flimsy. (though they cant be as bad as ety's) The do however have a flexible over ear thing that will help with jogging and other activities that would induce microphonics.

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 9
I would just throw q-jays into the mix at this price point (although soundearphones.com where I bought them seems to be out of stock right now for some reason). They can easliy be worn either over the ear (to reduce microphonics when running) or straight (for comfort--i.e. library). Super comfortable, small, great sounding dual-drivers. Plenty of threads on here comparing to others you're looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back