Upgrade from Beyerdynamic T70p
Apr 26, 2014 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rafu64

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a good alternative to the beyerdynamic T70p. I liked the resolution of the T70p a lot. The bass was a bit weak but I could have lived with that. The reason, however, why I have sent the T70p back was that it produced a distortion with some songs like I was standing in a can. With classical music this effect was not so strong but with certain pop songs in which the vocals had a slight reverberation the t70p distorted this effect in a very unpleasant way. E.g. the song from "Come to sin" from Bananafishbones sounds completely artificial with the T70p. Are there any alternatives, i.e. headphones which can be driven without amp and have a high resolution and good soundstage? Price range up to 1000 $.
Thanks in advance

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi,

Don't forget to consider that most modern music is really compressed and flaws present on low quality/poorly matered recordings (and also low quality files) become much more evident through a revealing headphone.

You should take a look at:

Focal Spirit Professional
Focal Spirit Classic
Shure SRH-1540
Beyerdynamic T5p

Best Luck!

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, I have taken these already into consideration. I have tried so far 3 different beyerdynamics (DT880, t70p and t51p). I am not so convinced with the tonality of beyerdynamics closed HPs. In contrast to that, I found the DT880 a convenient HP with an overall pleasant listening experience. Bad thing is, it didn't come close to the resolution of the t70p. So I didn't keep it. T5p might be a solution if it doesn't have the same "can" effect as the t70p.
I also tried the Sure SHR-1840 but didn't like the rather high tonality of the vocals. I have used 24 bit audio files for testing.
The new Hifiman HE560 which will be available soon sounds promising, too.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 7
DT990 has much more resolution (texture) and less 'headphone like' soundstage in comparison with DT880 at the expense of neutrality.

Yes! Those new Hifimans looks really promising. I wonder how they will compare in terms of detail with a properly amped HE-4.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 7
  I am looking for a good alternative to the beyerdynamic T70p. I liked the resolution of the T70p a lot. The bass was a bit weak but I could have lived with that. The reason, however, why I have sent the T70p back was that it produced a distortion with some songs like I was standing in a can. With classical music this effect was not so strong but with certain pop songs in which the vocals had a slight reverberation the t70p distorted this effect in a very unpleasant way. E.g. the song from "Come to sin" from Bananafishbones sounds completely artificial with the T70p. Are there any alternatives, i.e. headphones which can be driven without amp and have a high resolution and good soundstage? Price range up to 1000 $.
Thanks in advance

What sources (like DAC/Amp) do you plug your headphones into?

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 7
I use the AK100 MKII as DAC. Normally, I listen to the music at low or moderate levels of loudness. So I don't need a HP with extra bass. A good resolution, clarity and neutral tonality would be ideal. As to the comfort, I prefer an open or a semi open HP. The AKG K812 pro and HD800 both seem to fulfill my criteria. But, AKG 812 is overprized and the HD800 too difficult to drive without amp. If Sennheiser would come out with a new HP like the HD800 and a lower impedancy I knew what to buy.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 7
  I use the AK100 MKII as DAC. Normally, I listen to the music at low or moderate levels of loudness. So I don't need a HP with extra bass. A good resolution, clarity and neutral tonality would be ideal. As to the comfort, I prefer an open or a semi open HP. The AKG K812 pro and HD800 both seem to fulfill my criteria. But, AKG 812 is overprized and the HD800 too difficult to drive without amp. If Sennheiser would come out with a new HP like the HD800 and a lower impedancy I knew what to buy.

it's now 4mos later, so i don't know if you're still shopping.  the k812 "open box" from razordog makes the price much more palatable.  they are very good open hp's though, not closed.  i don't know if this is a consideration.  they sound great straight out of a dx90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back